PDA

View Full Version : Showxpress vs. Elation Compushow

Johnnotestine
08-23-2013, 01:35 PM
I recently sold my Xpress100 dongle and am in the process of selling my Enttec Pro. I will upgrade to either Chauvet Xpress 512 or the Compu Cue basic.

Which one do you think is better? Specifically, which is easier to use in live situations.

I have used Showxpress for a while, read all that I could about Compushow, and watched all the videos on youtube (thanks Arnoldo). Compushow looks to have many more features than Showxpress, but I am worried that the live mode is not as intuitive. I have simple buttons setup in Showxpress for my lighting techs to quickly change scenes. Is this similar in Compushow, or is it more complicated?

Any feedback would be appreciated. If I decide to switch to Compushow I need to order soon so I can start learning/programming before Homecoming season.

Thanks!

DJzrule
08-23-2013, 05:12 PM
I like ShowXpress for simplicity and graphical interface of the live software UI, but the Elation offers finer control of say pan/tilt ranges and many cool effects, but I felt is better used with a MIDI controller (specifically their specially designed Elation controller).

Johnnotestine
08-23-2013, 06:19 PM
DJzrule-

That is what I was worried about with compu show, that it would not be quite as intuitive for my techs.

Have you actually used both?

Anyone else with compushow experience, especially experience without a Midi controller?

DJzrule
08-24-2013, 12:37 AM
DJzrule-

That is what I was worried about with compu show, that it would not be quite as intuitive for my techs.

Have you actually used both?

Anyone else with compushow experience, especially experience without a Midi controller?

My contractor has CompuShow but sold it for ShowXpress. He actually pays me to program scenes for him in ShowXpress lol. Intuitive software-wise or with a simple MIDI pad controller, I prefer ShowXpress.

HOWEVER I'm personally switching to CompuShow when I can make a major overhaul, I simply need the functionality for doing live light jockeying at rock shows. Chauvet doesn't let you do much more than layer scenes whereas CompuShow lets you make adjustments live.

Arnoldo Offermann
08-25-2013, 01:16 AM
CompuShow is *technically* easier to use and program. It looks intimidating because it has SO many options, but in reality, programming is MUCH easier.

Switches allow you to use a DMX fixture right out of the box!

SXP has a few live options, but not many. However, the programs are fixed, meaning you cannot make live adjustments on top. SXP allows scene layering (running more than one scene at a time), but to me, that's not enough.

For example, my event this past weekend gave me the chance to bring out my Inno Spot LEDs. I've never used them before on DMX. I loaded the profile (made that morning by James as I completely forgot to make them) and right away I could use them. Why? CompuShow creates automatic switches. Switches are various movements, color scenes, etc that it makes for you so you can 1) override scenes you make with new variables 2) use new lights with ZERO programming.

Palettes is also huge. Let's say you have a wedding where the colors are teal and ivory and you're doing uplighting. You create some neat programs using just those colors. Uh oh-- next week's wedding is green and orange. This means you have to make MORE programs for this color scheme!

CompuShow's palettes are placeholders if you will. Instead of a chase of TEAL and IVORY, I make LOTS of scenes of Palette1 and Palette2. Then I just specify that Palette1 = Teal and Palette2 = Ivory.

All my scenes that call Palette1 and Palette2 are now updated with those colors.

Next day I change Palette1 = Green and Palette2 = Orange and ALL THE SCENES ARE UPDATED IN 3 SECONDS!

Also, I'm OCD. I like my stuff organized by more than just fixture type. In CompuShow, you have one "page" per fixture and a MASTER page. You can organize each page by ZONES and call them whatever you want. I have a ZONE of chases, one of fades, one of strobes, etc.

Then each set of ZONES can be saved into Layers. A layer is a layout.

I have a layer for weddings, a layer for school dances, etc.

A few links:

Manuals I made:

http://masterschooldances.com/category/compushow-walkthroughs

Start from the very first video (last page)

More manuals... being remade and reuploaded

https://www.facebook.com/CompuShowVideos

and my support group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/compudmx/

Johnnotestine
08-25-2013, 02:09 AM
I decided to make the upgrade to Compushow! I actually haven't bought the dongle yet, but I ordered an Elation Midicon today. I'm thinking I will just get the basic dongle.

Arnoldo Offermann
08-25-2013, 02:25 AM
I decided to make the upgrade to Compushow! I actually haven't bought the dongle yet, but I ordered an Elation Midicon today. I'm thinking I will just get the basic dongle.

Save up for the SDE... here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUesayUhjoc

Not to mention, you'll be able to connect your iOS / Android device to it to recall the standalone scenes on an SD card WITHOUT a computer.. and you can somewhat stack layers in standalone.*

*this feature isn't out yet

Johnnotestine
08-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Save up for the SDE... here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUesayUhjoc

Not to mention, you'll be able to connect your iOS / Android device to it to recall the standalone scenes on an SD card WITHOUT a computer.. and you can somewhat stack layers in standalone.*

*this feature isn't out yet

Well, I had watched that vid already.

Yes, ethernet is a nice feature, but I already have wireless sticks. I can just attach one to the compu cue and one to my lights if they are remote, or am I missing something?

The iOS/Android feature seems more appealing, but at all major events we will have the computer and Midicon. I guess at some small weddings when I am alone that might be pretty cool.

The real problem is there is more than a little price difference:

Compu Cue basic: $500

Compu CueSD: $1000-$1200

I can buy a new Inno Spot Led for that price difference!

Arnoldo Offermann
08-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Ah, true... I guess it's a question on "the long run."

Are you going to run out of universes? If not, go for Basic.. I had it for a while!

Johnnotestine
08-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Ah, true... I guess it's a question on "the long run."

Are you going to run out of universes? If not, go for Basic.. I had it for a while!

Do you run shows that you have to use 2 universes?

I added up all of my dmx channels, and I'm nowhere near 512 right now. That's with 4 movers, 4 scanners, 4 LED bars, 14 pars, 2 flood pars, 4 blacklights, a couple various effect lights, and a mirror ball motor.

I guess it would be nice to know I have the channels if I need them, but even the regular comp cue with 2 x 512 is another $300.

Arnoldo Offermann
08-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Do you run shows that you have to use 2 universes?

Not yet.. close. However, I've often been to venues that had their own lights (example, one had 100 uplights and the other had 50 VIZI movers). I quickly plugged them into my 2nd universe and dropped in the profiles and I had full control!