PDA

View Full Version : Please help me fix my mac /library!

fullenglishpint
03-04-2012, 05:56 PM
I'll try and keep this as brief as possible. (tl;dr version: My library folder is on the wrong drive. How can I move it?)

About 18 months ago I switched the HDD in my mid 2009 MBP for an SSD and replaced the optical drive with a larger HDD for storage, which I then moved my home folder onto (though of course not the library folder).

This weekend the HDD got corrupted and I had to do a full erase/restore through time machine, and until I had reformatted the HDD I could not even log in. Once I had erased it I could log in again, but although the old library folder still exists on the boot SSD, it has replaced the (of course now missing until my TM restore is complete) home folder with a new one on the HDD and set up a new default library folder.

I could copy the old library files into the new folder, but I'd prefer to have the library on the SSD, so what I want to know is how would I get OSX to recognise the old library? Or if I just updated the new one, could I move it?

I know moving the library is a bit of a minefield, so I'm hoping one of you can help!

LiteTrix
03-04-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm having trouble understanding what exactly your problem is. Do you have a fully intact copy of your itunes library? If so, you should just be able to copy it to whatever location you want on your hard drive, although its recommended that you store it in the music folder on your mac. Then when opening Itunes hold down the option key so you can specify where your library is.

Heres a link to Apples site that you help you > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751

Look under "restoring your Itunes library backup"

Austin GoGreen
03-05-2012, 08:26 AM
I don't use itunes but something similar happened to me. All of my files were backed-up and restored on to my new HDD on my MBP. When I went through my crates (which I've spent HUNDREDS of hours on) all of my files were "lost." What I mean by this is that they turned PINK and wouldn't load (I'm using SERATO fyi).

If you open FILES in SERATO, there is a little box that says RELOCATE LOST FILES. Minimize your serato screen and open your MBP Finder. Drag and drop your music folders into the RELOCATE LOST FILES button. In my case, I dig a drag and drop of my complete MUSIC folder. About an hour later, all of my files in my crates were re-shortcutted and I've been good ever since.

fullenglishpint
03-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I should have been clearer but I think I've sorted it now.

I was referring to the osx library folder where all your settings are stored, rather than the iTunes library. Problem was I was getting confused by the fact that there's a user library and a system library, and it turns out my user library was intact in the backup of my home folder. I've restored my home folder from time machine and now most things are back to normal again. It was a scary weekend though!

Austin GoGreen
03-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I know the feeling bro, I was ready to hang up the the headphones and call it quits when my HDD crashed then found ALL of my crates to not read.

EVERYONE should do yourself a favor and backup at the very minimum, once a month.

Interracial Tea
03-05-2012, 09:30 AM
edit: disregard this post