PDA

View Full Version : Please suggest some lights for me...

djMashMills
08-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Hi guys

I started a small mobile DJ business a few months back and I am starting to get a few more gigs so I think it's time I try to upgrade my lighting a bit.
I've read what you guys say about too much effect lighting making things look tacky so I was wondering if I could get some input. For now I have about $650 to spend on lighting. I work on my own so I would like something that would look good on a tripod.

My current set up includes:

Chauvet Obey 70(for some reason we don't get the obey 40 here)
Chauvet ColorRail IRC
Cheapy starfield laser
Chauvet Hurricane fog machine

Just sold my ADJ Vertigo because it didn't have DMX.

My options:

I can get 2 old Martin Roboscan 518s for about $400 and then I could get an effect light eg. ADJ Quad Phase.

Something like a Chauvet Spot Duo and a cheapish DMX effect light.

2 Chauvet Intimidator scan 200s and a cheapish effect light.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks
Ryan

BillESC
08-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Forget the Roboscans they eat too much energy and parts sourcing will be problematic before long.

Get the Spot Duo or a pair of the Scan 200's and double them when you can. No other effects would be needed.

sss18734
08-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Either get more colorrails, or save for a while and get some moving heads with tripod mounts. The latter is totally worth it.

djMashMills
08-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely gonna ditch the roboscan idea then. I am leaning to wards the Intimidator scan 200s and I found a chauvet Mega Trix for like $50 that I will be able to mount on the upright pole of the T-bar. Those along with the ColourRail should make a decent set up. What do you guys think? Thanks...

robare99
08-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Good stuff. You can always add another 2 Intimidator scan 200's in the future!