PDA

View Full Version : Best Trance live set you've ever heard

DJ_kHeaven
08-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Sup people; so I'm a little curious as to what you all think is sort of like THE defining live set played by your fave DJ that had you giggling like a 5 year old in Toys R Us. I'm talking about like all factors were just perfect, song selection, transitions, etc. It doesn't matter if the DJ is famous or not. I haven't had a chance to check out any live sets, so this will give my virgin ears a chance to get familiar with what a great set sounds like. I've listened to mostly studio sets, like ABV's Mirage and the like. Any input is appreciated:tup:

contra
08-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Probably Armin in about 04.

kyle133
08-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Paul Oakenfold's 1999 gatecrasher set.

ChrisHynds
08-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Some of my most memorable sets are form way back in my early clubbing days, Scot Project and Yoji always stand out in my memory for being some of the best. Armin is awesome live when he plays Trance, also PVD would be one of the most recent memorable sets that have stood out to me.

Delta V
08-19-2013, 11:34 PM

Holy shit came here to post this! Legendary.

DJ_kHeaven
08-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Definitely looking up Paul Oakenfold's set right now.. I'll also check out AVB and PVD. There's just so many to choose from lol. I'll start with Armin back in 04. Thanks for the input

Achmiel
08-20-2013, 09:43 AM

Listening now...

DJ_kHeaven
08-20-2013, 12:13 PM

um, wow!! now THAT is a set!! good lookin out for turning me onto this.

kyle133
08-20-2013, 12:28 PM
^ it's an excellent set. It's the track selection that make the mix what it is. The mixing is very straight foward. The beatmatching could even be tighter, but it's a great example how letting songs play out and blending make for a great mix :)

DJ_kHeaven
08-20-2013, 10:48 PM
^ it's an excellent set. It's the track selection that make the mix what it is. The mixing is very straight foward. The beatmatching could even be tighter, but it's a great example how letting songs play out and blending make for a great mix :)
I was hooked from the very beginning. All tracks were seemless. I couldn't have asked for a better set. Im just mad i wasn't able to see it in person now lol

TIMMBO
08-21-2013, 12:41 AM
Honestly, most night I spent in GATECRASHER , Sheffield were amazing nights.
Had some blinding sets from Oaky, PVD (6hr sets) Scott Bond and Judge Jules just to name a few. Think the worst dj /set I listened to was from Sonique who amazingly got boooooooooooood off. She sang to her djing and it was terrible.
God wish I was 16 again! Lol

deathsupport
08-21-2013, 01:11 AM
I wasn't there live but I really like whatever part of Armin's set was broadcast for ASOT 464. It's an hour of him playing in Ibiza, then some of Alex MORPH and some Cosmic Gate. Incredibly bumping tracklist for such a short amount of time. http://weloveatrance.com/armin-van-buuren-a-state-of-trance-464-recorded-live-amnesia-ibiza-asot-464-july-08-2010-weloveatrance/

AudioAntics
01-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Sup people; so I'm a little curious as to what you all think is sort of like THE defining live set played by your fave DJ that had you giggling like a 5 year old in Toys R Us. I'm talking about like all factors were just perfect, song selection, transitions, etc. It doesn't matter if the DJ is famous or not. I haven't had a chance to check out any live sets, so this will give my virgin ears a chance to get familiar with what a great set sounds like. I've listened to mostly studio sets, like ABV's Mirage and the like. Any input is appreciated:tup:

Although probably not well known to most, John O' Callaghan's ASOT 450 set from the Roseland Ballroom (NYC - April 3, 2010) is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. The intensity and mix of that set is simply phenomenal! I could (and do) listen to this track over and over again.

https://soundcloud.com/abottiggi/john-o-callaghan-asot-450

M!TCH
01-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Cosmic Gate in 2009 at The Gathering. Was absolutely amazing. I wish they had recorded so that I could download it.

Buszaj
01-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Nu NRG @ Orgasmatron May 2002

Tiesto @ Energy 2000

From this year, I think Bryan Kearney and John O'Callaghan make the top.

contra
01-05-2014, 04:57 PM
I know it's cliché, but Armin in about 2003 blew my f'n mind

Sedna
01-05-2014, 05:09 PM
I actually heard the best trance set I've ever heard fairly recently... Airwave made his NYC debut in September of 2012 and played the finest 3-4 hour set I've ever heard in my life. I've seen plenty of 8+ hour sets in my life, and those are usually great, but Airwave's set was just plain perfect.

All I remember is chilling with my friends and shouting "THIS IS SO GOOD I'M JUST GOING TO DIE" for hours. The entire room was booty-shaking the whole night. Never have I seen a crowd that in-sync at a trance event.

contra
01-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I actually heard the best trance set I've ever heard fairly recently... Airwave made his NYC debut in September of 2012 and played the finest 3-4 hour set I've ever heard in my life. I've seen plenty of 8+ hour sets in my life, and those are usually great, but Airwave's set was just plain perfect.

I love Airwave, that must have been awesome!

Sedna
01-05-2014, 07:02 PM
He and J00F are the best names in trance right now.

contra
01-05-2014, 07:27 PM
He and J00F are the best names in trance right now.

:tup: I'd rep ya but I can't lol

Buszaj
01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Airwave is definitely one of the best trance producers of all time. Saw J00F in August, fantastic. Thankfully he comes to Toronto 2-4 times a year :)

M!TCH
04-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Need people to post more in here....I haven't been to any decent events where it isn't Trouse music playing all night long. I really need to find a proper event and get some real trance in me. I'm going to EDC with a bunch of friends and I know I am going to be clawing at my ears after that.

Irrational_Fear
04-14-2014, 04:05 AM
Need people to post more in here....I haven't been to any decent events where it isn't Trouse music playing all night long. I really need to find a proper event and get some real trance in me. I'm going to EDC with a bunch of friends and I know I am going to be clawing at my ears after that.

I haven't been to any decent trance nights recently (think the last memorable one was PVD in Ibiza in 2012), but a couple of personal favorites of mine was seeing Ferry Corsten on the 30th May bank holiday Sunday at the original Gatecrasher back in 2004. I seem to recall he didn't get on the decks until around 4.30am and kept playing for a good 20-30 minutes after the club was supposed to close at 6. His set included a bootleg of BT - Forces of Gravity, and the epic Thrillseekers remix of Autumn Tactics. Utterly brilliant set and probably the high point of that era of trance music for me.

We staggered out into a sunny bank holiday Monday morning (quite a shock having gone inside at 10pm the previous night in darkness) and made a rather painful bus trip back to my mate's aunt's house where we were staying. They also had John 00 Flemming, Marco V, and a couple of others playing before him too, such an epic night.

Another great one was seeing Matt Hardwick & Eddie Halliwell play the Opera House in Bournemouth the night before my 20th birthday back in 2005- Hardwick played a load of my top tunes of that time, Dogzilla - Without You, Agnelli & Nelson - Holding Onto Nothing, and a few others. I still have a photo of me from that night looking a bit worse for wear, but what a night!

Quite fitting really that two of the best ever trance nights I went to were at my two favorite UK clubs, Gatecrasher One Sheffield, and the Opera House Bournemouth. I was gutted when the former burned down in 2007, but the Opera House still lives on (as the O2) and still puts on some good nights.

But it was truly amazing back when it ran the Slinky nights every Friday with some brilliant residents- including a few at the harder end of the trance scale including Lee Haslam, Kym Ayres, Rob Tissera etc. These were largely responsible for getting me into the hard trance scene at the time and then opened my eyes (and ears!) to a whole new sound that might not otherwise have experienced- the next few years were then spent following round the likes of Lisa Lashes, Anne Savage, The Tidy Boys etc.

It was that mix of styles that made the Slinky night's so good, and it was only ever a tenner to get in and you were guaranteed a brilliant night every week. Good times! D

Buszaj
04-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Orkidea was one of the better shows I went to recently. He played a 6 hour open-close set, fantastic progression throughout.

Indecent Noise threw down a heavy set as well the week before that.

There was a Pure Trance night a few weeks ago with Solarstone, Giuseppe Ottaviani, and Sneijder. Solarstone was pretty sweet, also had nice progression. Ottaviani was missing that extra crunch factor for me. Good tunes, but just something missing to make it really great.

Toronto has a lot of great trance bookings coming up for this spring and summer, hopefully I will be able to report back with some truly amazing shows!

deathsupport
04-16-2014, 01:43 AM
Toronto has a lot of great trance bookings coming up for this spring and summer, hopefully I will be able to report back with some truly amazing shows!

Ozmozis has been bringing in some good names recently. The lineup they've got for Toika over the spring is packed: Omnia, Sied van Riel, Richard Durand, Lange just to name a few... and Mark Sherry has been confirmed for a 6hr set. I can't wait for that one.

Beta in Waterloo has also brought some great people in. I've seen Darude there a few times and he plays really great, energetic sets. Simon Patterson was there not long ago as well.

Vernski
04-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Fuck guys, gotta get out of the southern hemisphere.....all these awesome dj's just visit the backwater cities every once in a while....:argh:

Buszaj
04-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Ozmozis has been bringing in some good names recently. The lineup they've got for Toika over the spring is packed: Omnia, Sied van Riel, Richard Durand, Lange just to name a few... and Mark Sherry has been confirmed for a 6hr set. I can't wait for that one.

Beta in Waterloo has also brought some great people in. I've seen Darude there a few times and he plays really great, energetic sets. Simon Patterson was there not long ago as well.

Yup! I go to nearly all of Ozmozis' events. Can't wait for the boat cruises to start up again!

okirem
05-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Hmm ive not been out since like 2004 unfortunately.. planning to fix that with a Tomorrowworld visit this year... I always loved Chris Lawrence sets tho.. PVD and Oak are surely way up there for me as well..

rob h
05-18-2014, 01:49 PM
best set well what I can remember and best night was pvd cream amnesia 10th bday party 5 august don't know if you would be able to find it somewhere prob could on net.but its a cracker

Maxey
05-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Unfortunately I live in there arse end of nowhere so I have never been to a proper trance night which sucks. At least I get to see armin and above & beyond at creamfields and Ill be moving to london soon so I can hopefully make up for lost time.

holler
05-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Italian fellow years ago in devils island, Thailand, Carlos was his name. I hope he's still alive

www.chemicalidol.blogspot.com

Gareth
05-27-2014, 08:32 PM
My all time favourite set was an Essential Mix recorded live in Ibiza from back in 1996... Pete Tong, Danny Rampling and Sasha. I listened to it on the radio and recorded it to tape(!). Must have listened to that thousands of times over the years, still gives me goosebumps.

Here's Sasha's set https://soundcloud.com/domking1978/sets/amnesia-1996-essential-mix but I can't find the others online, might have to upload them myself.

More recently I've liked some of Bryan Kearney's stuff. His 4hr set recorded at the Energy Box in London is well worth a listen - https://soundcloud.com/bryankearney/bryan-kearney-live-the-energy

unsalze
08-23-2014, 02:22 PM
For me best trance set except trance classisc absolutely "ORJAN NİLSEN - ASOT 650 BUENOS AIRES" It is an amazing, he deserved much more.

My second favourite is "GAIA-Ultra Music 2014 Set" it's an amazing also, to be honestly i can't decide which one is the best.

Enjoy it GUYS !

Ashutosh
09-07-2014, 11:54 PM
I just stumbled upon this discussion topic.

Have gathered the following sets and been listening to

- Tiesto Live at Energy 2000 ( Seems its the most obvious choice for the best set )
- John oo Fleming Live at Coloursfest Ireland 2003
- Paul Van Dyk Live at Mayday 2000
- Armin b2b Ferry Corsten Godskitchen Dublin 2003
- Paul Oakenfold Live essential Mix Homelands 1999/Gatecrasher 1999
Cheers

Farm Fresh Melody
09-13-2014, 11:03 PM

My immediate thought when I read the thread topic.

The Gatecrasher set was one that I listened to on repeat and was the inspiration for me to learn to mix. Still love that mix to this day.