PDA

View Full Version : Started this track last night. Lovin it's bassline. (Electro)

FarawaySkies
03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
http://soundcloud.com/darkmatterandnul/update-1 Updated this with my work so far....like where its going?

passive
03-05-2012, 01:50 AM
ok.. wheres the rest of the track.
Why have you put this up?

Synergy
03-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Good start man, what are you using to produce, if I may ask.

FarawaySkies
03-05-2012, 09:05 PM
its a production forum. its where you come and can post your "works-in-progress" to share the vibes and excitement you get from the small loops you have playing your daw. It's fun bro!

Synergy...I'm using Cubase. Mostly used Massive..one instance of sylenth1.

the4thImpulse
03-05-2012, 11:43 PM
I am loving the sound so far, would love to hear it finished.

passive
03-06-2012, 09:53 AM
its a production forum. its where you come and can post your "works-in-progress" to share the vibes and excitement you get from the small loops you have playing your daw. It's fun bro!

Cool.Just wasnt sure of the reason,wether you were asking opinion, advice or direction.if its opinion your after then its sounding cool at the mo.

FarawaySkies
03-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Updated the link with new version....like where its going? I started editing this track at 4am and didn't stop until 6:30am. Also, did all the work in headphones so it could possibly sound like complete shit lol. Anyways I was feeling it so was wondering if the rest of the board was too, or what they're not feelin.

de.j.l
03-08-2012, 07:07 AM
seems pretty generic to me, good work though.
e.le.c.tr.0

FarawaySkies
03-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Generic for sure. I wish I could say I'm changing the genre with a new style but I simply can't. Maybe later, when I become more familiar with synthesis, can I create my own sound...instead of fittling through presets hoping for anything that sounds like whats being played in the club today. At any rate, if I succeed at generic, I should be able to get my foot in the door. Thanks for the response de.j.l.

Austin GoGreen
03-08-2012, 08:04 AM
That's really good man, it's what I'm looking to start producing/using for remix projects. I come from a Hip Hop background, house is really difficult to learn.

FarawaySkies
03-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks Austin, if you ever want to collab just let me know. I started out producing trance, so everytime I start tackling a house or any other style genre song I start falling back to my trance tendencies lol. This is obviously going to end up as a progressive trance choon.

de.j.l
03-09-2012, 08:06 AM
I would highly suggest learning a synth or instrument, I use Operator and it has endless possibilities. What do you use for your productions, maybe I can help you out through this learning curve.

FarawaySkies
03-09-2012, 10:20 AM
It's not about just learning a specific synth for me. I need to learn the whole sound engineering synthesis aspect. I have so many ideas in my head but I can't put them to paper because of my limitations to presets. I need to be able to hear a sound in my head and know exactly what it takes to recreate that sound i.e. sine waves, saw waves, how many oscillators, which way I should tweak the LFO. Until then I'm left to twiddle with presets. Know any good material to read over to learn this part of production?

TopangaS2k
03-12-2012, 11:48 AM
It's not about just learning a specific synth for me. I need to learn the whole sound engineering synthesis aspect. I have so many ideas in my head but I can't put them to paper because of my limitations to presets. I need to be able to hear a sound in my head and know exactly what it takes to recreate that sound i.e. sine waves, saw waves, how many oscillators, which way I should tweak the LFO. Until then I'm left to twiddle with presets. Know any good material to read over to learn this part of production?

This sounds exactly like what im going through with my tech trance productions...I cant put the ideas down because im still fighting with the learning curve! arghh!!! lol

jonistaken
03-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Whats worse is when you ask "how do I make this sound that comes in at such in such time on this track, ect." and people respond with "oh easy, you just need some detuned square waves with an LPF at mid low range and maybe a little distortion" as if that is all it takes to get a good reese sound. What there is a gross lack of on these forums, and the internet in general, is information that assists in getting past very basic patch set ups and into advice that actual takes you all the way to your destination. There is a shit ton more to a good sound than choosing the right OSC and filter setup. The best help I have been able to find online that goes beyond simply telling you what kind of filter and what kind of osc to use are youtube and blog videos where people go through and make a complete patch although an unfortunate amount of these videos are also absolute shit. My advice would be to start there, even if you end up spending hours watching people make patches that you would never ever use, you can still find lots of good advice and techniques that are applicable elsewhere (assuming the person who made a video did a halfway decent job). There is also a book/PDF circulating around called "how to make a noise" or something along those lines that should explain them pretty well. Also google "guide to mixing by Nick Thomas" and download and read that PDF. It is a pretty good primer on putting together a mix.

Music production is easily the activity with the steepest learning curve I have ever encountered, I expect others to have similar opinions.

Aron
03-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Don't get lost in sound design. Write the melody down before you lose it.