PDA

View Full Version : Novation Dicer Custom Mappings

JuxtaPoser
03-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Ever since I first got my Dicers about a year or so ago I knew that you could custom midi map them as you could with any controller. However, I got mine just after Serato updated to include native support for them, and I found the standard mapping so intuitive and useful that I've never bothered to over-complicate matters and look into creating my own custom mappings for them.

Today, being a hungover Sunday, I thought I'd spend some time researching and creating some custom mappings and I'm actually really pleased I did. I figured I'd post what my custom mappings are and hopefully get a couple of other people to post theirs up/make suggestions of other useful things to map.

The numbers correspond to the number shown on the Dice button. The first command is what happens if you just press it normally, the second command (after the /) is the shift command (accessed by holding down the corresponding "Mode" button at the same time)

Mode 1 - Cue Points - Red
1. Cue 1 / Delete Cue 1
2. Cue 2 / Delete Cue 2
3. Cue 3 / Delete Cue 3
4. Cue 4 / Delete Cue 4
5. Cue 5 / Delete Cue 5

This is just the standard factory setting. I rarely delete cue points on the fly so I don't really need this, but I didn't have anything else pressing to map instead so I've just left it for now.

Mode 2 - Loop Roll - Green
1. Roll 1/16 Beat / SP6 Slot 1
2. Roll 1/8 Beat / SP6 Slot 2
3. Roll 1/4 Beat / Ultraknob Effect "ON"
4. Roll 1/2 Beat / EMPTY
5. Roll 1 Beat / EMPTY

I've never really messed around that much with Serato's DJFX before as I'm comfortable with the filters and effects on my DJM800 but I've just started using the "Echo Out" and "Roll Out" for situations where I want to simply echo out of a track at the push of a button. Using the Dicer for this is PERFECT! Also it's useful being able to fire the SP6 without having to touch my laptop at all.

Mode 3 - Auto Loop - Yellow
1. Loop 1 Beat / Set Loop In
2. Loop 2 Beats / Previous Saved Loop <
3. Loop 4 Beats / Loop (Activates/deactivates saved loop)
4. Loop 8 Beats / Next Saved Loop >
5. Loop 16 Beats / Set Loop Out

This allows you to cut custom loops on the fly without having to mess around with laptop's trackpad. It also means you can scroll through and enable previously saved loops (I usually prepare a lot of my loops offline first).

Things I'd like to be able to map:
- Scrolling through DJ-FX presets (as far as I can tell this isn't possible as it's a drop down list, not a "next" scroll)
- Jump to selected loop (Ctrl + [ on the keyboard - not sure how to map this one though as I can't find a clickable button for it in Serato)

Anyone else care to share their mappings? Also, if anyone has any other suggestions of things that would be worth mapping, please let me know!

soundscientist
07-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Dude, this is super helpful, surprised nobody has commented. I'm gonna tinker around and get back to you. How did you go about editing it?

JuxtaPoser
07-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Dude, this is super helpful, surprised nobody has commented. I'm gonna tinker around and get back to you. How did you go about editing it?

I'm glad it's helped someone!

Midi mapping is very simple in Serato. Just plug in your Serato box and hit "Midi" near the "Setup" button. Then click on the function you want to map, it will then start flashing green. Then simply press the midi controller button you want to map it to and voila!

Let me know what you come up with.

DJ Que Yi
09-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Like you I've read that you can midi map the dicers to do anything in SL. I haven't taken the time to do so. But have 1. Scroll through library and 2. Trigger effects on my wish list. I rarely use the factory setting outside of cue points.
Thanks for the post.