PDA

View Full Version : Starting to plan and purchase

Bassline Brine
08-15-2013, 01:32 AM
So my crew has a Saturday night monthly that we just got started with. We've made an investment into sound, and so we have that covered. Lighting is our next goal, and I'm trying to plan out exactly what we think the best look would be for our evening.

We focus on Drum and Bass, House, and Breaks as our main music choices for our evenings, but basically anything flys depending on who we book. This setup is NOT just for the venue, and needs to be completely mobile because we also rent out our sound, and use different venues for that.

Ceiling lights and disco ball are permanently installed:
https://sphotos-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1004847_10150324888199975_1985728788_n.jpg

Right now we are renting lights and have some friends and others helping out with that. We've made a couple deco pieces, made some lycra columns (that we plan on improving) and are starting from there.

Right now I believe we used:
2x Chauvet Colorstrip for behind/underneath the DJ booth for lighting up the table
4x American DJ Eco UV posted in 4 corners around the dancefloor
4x American DJ Jellyfish connected to the top right and left in front of the stage (2 on each side)
Also 2x moving heads, I believe they are Chauvet but I cannot remember which ones they are specifically off the top of my head.

Basically, we don't want to rent in the long term, and are looking to build up slowly and get a solid rig underneath us. We also rent out our gear to local events, and plan on doing more of that in the future, so it's just what we need to do.

Right now we are picking up 2x American DJ Eco UV Plus, and I'm looking into purchasing 2 or 4 Blizzard Stormchaser's as well. I don't know what it is about Blizzard, but I really like their stuff. They seem like a very solid colorstrip that is multipurpose.

The ADJ Jellyfish is something that is incredibly economical, but a lot of people locally are running with them lately. I've been looking at doing a pair of the Mini Kinta's as well instead (they look good and seem like a solid investment for the price), and possible a pair of something else. That something else is what I'm not sure about right now.

Researching online, I really like both the Chauvet Circus 2.0 and the Cubix 2.0, but in practicality I don't know if those would be a perfect fit or not. If anyone has some advice here or recommendations, it would be great.

In the future I'm looking at a pair of the Chauvet 4bar Tri, Chauvet 4bar LED or Blizzard Weather Systems, but I'm not honestly sure what would be the better investment. I keep going through and looking at each of them, and trying to decide, and I just am not sure.

Right now we are not looking into moving heads yet, nor are we looking into lasers. We are trying to buy smart, buy lights that will last a long time before we move on, or things that we can keep for other purposes as well in the future. I'd love to add some pucks around the venue in the future, but that's something that will come in time.

If anyone has advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading through (ALL) the posts on this forum, looking at lighting videos for the past few months, and it's come to the point where I'd appreciate some advice outside of my general circles.

Thank you in advance :)

Bassline Brine
08-15-2013, 01:55 AM
I was also really liking the Chauvet 4bar Tri and 4Play CL combination, but then the Blizzard Weather System through me for a loop just because it's so /different/ than all the others.

BillESC
08-15-2013, 01:15 PM
+1 on the Weather System, for not that much more you get twice the 4Bar system. As a Blizzard dealer I'd be happy to give you a package deal.

Bassline Brine
08-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Bill thank you for responding. From reading this and other posts, I'm definitely planning on the Weather System at the moment. We'll see how well the next couple shows go and see if I'll be investing sooner or have to wait a bit ;)