PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish eBay/Chinese Lights

Michael Cullen
08-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Yep, I bought one.

Hasn't arrived yet, but I did a couple of searches on here beforehand and saw a couple of people talking about the PAR clones (mostly saying how rubbish they are), and the general position seemed to be "avoid Chinese lights at all costs".

Still, my Saturday residency needs SOMETHING at least. My co-DJ has some really old lights of some type (god knows what they are, I think they're supposed to be moonflowers but they're so haggard that they barely work), and as part of my long-term plan to turn this pub into a music-focussed (all-night) venue rather than just a trendy predrinks bar, I need to do something about the lights.

However, I have a budget of so close to zero it's unbelievable. I've managed to persuade them to pick up an amplifier instead of running everything through the NSM jukebox, just need to pick one up and wire it in, but lighting-wise there's basically NO movement on the venue's end, so I had to go down the stupidly cheap route.

I bought one of these:

http://www.yozop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/m/dmx_disco_dj_stage_lighting_rgb_led_crystal_ball_l ight.jpg

Yes, it looks like a toy, but apparently it's brighter than you might imagine and in such a small space (capacity of 150) it might just do the job for the time being. Need to get it mounted to the ceiling, but when I do I'll post some photos and maybe a vid so you guys can see what it's like in an ACTUAL venue rather than in a studio space on YouTube.

Anyone else ever gone down this route?

Defiance
08-14-2013, 08:30 PM
It will probably be fine for what you need.

DJzrule
08-14-2013, 09:09 PM
I have the branded version (of 3 branded revisions) which is the Blizzard Lighting Snowball RGBW. There's also the ADJ Jelly Dome which rotates the dome instead of the LEDs, and the CHauvet MiniSphere 3.

The OEM ones come in RGB, RGBW, and RGBWA. The RGBWA is a piece of crap because you can't control the colors independently with DMX, they're grouped in twos.

As for the sheer output of this light, it's fantastic for what it is: a cheap moonflower with a beam-spread of 190. I love mine, I use it a ton at smaller gigs and at larger gigs where I need fill, and with a couple of them and some wash, I could cover a medium sized catering hall's dance floor.

Michael Cullen
08-14-2013, 09:41 PM
I have the branded version (of 3 branded revisions) which is the Blizzard Lighting Snowball RGBW. There's also the ADJ Jelly Dome which rotates the dome instead of the LEDs, and the CHauvet MiniSphere 3.

The OEM ones come in RGB, RGBW, and RGBWA. The RGBWA is a piece of crap because you can't control the colors independently with DMX, they're grouped in twos.

As for the sheer output of this light, it's fantastic for what it is: a cheap moonflower with a beam-spread of 190. I love mine, I use it a ton at smaller gigs and at larger gigs where I need fill, and with a couple of them and some wash, I could cover a medium sized catering hall's dance floor.

:O Sounds pretty good in that case!

Do you typically mount these to the ceiling (above the dancefloor), or off to one side?

DJzrule
08-14-2013, 09:49 PM
:O Sounds pretty good in that case!

Do you typically mount these to the ceiling (above the dancefloor), or off to one side?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s967xz_rUuo

You can see it briefly in the middle of this short clip from a gig I did a while ago. I'll try to look for something more current in much better quality.

I put one as a centerpiece on truss with DMX, or for smaller gigs strap it on to a speaker tripod under one of my EV or Mackie tops, and let it go at it in sound-active.

fueledbymusic
08-15-2013, 05:56 PM
http://www.yozop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/m/dmx_disco_dj_stage_lighting_rgb_led_crystal_ball_l ight.jpg

Yes, it looks like a toy???

ahh, I wouldn't say that! I used a light from Spencer's as the only light, $25 for a party before. It was fine believe it or not. You'd be surprised on how well little things like those do!