PDA

View Full Version : Inspirion 17r

DoDirty409
02-05-2012, 10:12 AM
I found this at Dell.com with a $494 instant coupon last night. Looked great for my NS6 (that killed my Lenovo y530).

What do you think?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17r-n7110/pd?oc=dncwy106&model_id=inspiron-17r-n7110

SHould be sufficient right? My knowledge of PC's are limited when it comes to parts and components. I can use them...building them is another story.

I couldnt find one cheaper with all the "good stuff" this one has.

Nicadraus
02-05-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm using an Inspiron 14R (4010), i3-390M 2.67Ghz, 6gb RAM, 640 GB HD 7200rpm. All works well with TSP and other softwares. That 17R should work more than fine with it's specs. The only thing is, 17" laptops are heavier and a bit pain to carry around in gigs especially when you travel a lot.

I would also suggest to upgrade from HD to SSD. :)

danthedj
02-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I would not want to cart around a 17" laptop to gigs. Personally, I use my 13" MBA and find it more than adequate. On the other hand, if you dont mind the weight, the 17R should have more than enough oomph for the NS6. Just make sure it has the normal stuff (core i5/i7 processor, 4gb+ of ram, etc, etc.) that will make it useful for years to come.

EDIT: I thought you said it was $494 after coupon... $900 for a dell laptop seems like ALOT to me. Take a look around slickdeals to find a better deal than that, if you NEED the 17" monster.

DoDirty409
02-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys. I dont mind the weight because Im not doing any gigs yet. Plus I think its alot easier to see with the 17''.I've had my NS6 since July and havent put 20 hours on it. Between work, kids, wife and a p.o.s laptop I havent even learned to use the thing properly. I had just gotten "okay" with the CDJ's I had prior before I switched to a controller. Basically i only use it at home. @Dan i thought this was a great deal since it had the 2nd Gen i7, 8GB Memory,1TB Hard drive, and the 1gb graphics thing...(LOL i really dont know what it is).. @Nickdraus what's SSD.

danthedj
02-05-2012, 11:11 AM
SSD is Solid State Drive. Usually people will use the SSD to run programs and the os, because it provides BLAZINGLY FAST (no exaggeration) load times and they have proved to be reliable (no moving parts). They are still on the more expensive side, but adding them to a laptop isnt usually very difficult.

As for the price, take a look at this thread on slickdeals HERE (http://slickdeals.net/f/3868418-25-off-Dell-Outlet-Refurbished-Laptops-XPS-15-L502X-w-Core-i5-2430M-2-4GHz-15-6-1366x768-4GB-DDR3-650GB-HDD-DVDRW-GT-525M-1GB-6-Cell-Win-7-Prem-479-amp-more-Free-Ship) where you could get a refurbished xps15 with a 2nd get i5 and all the specs are PLENTY for a dj and general home use... and the price is under $500.

Personally, the only way I could see spending upwards of $1000 on a laptop is if I was going mac. For Windows PCs that really never seem to last as long, spending $500 now and $500 in three years on the latest tech then, makes more sense then getting a $1k laptop thats more than you need now, but will still be out of date down the road.

just my $.02

DoDirty409
02-05-2012, 11:19 AM
I already ordered it.......Well, at least I know it'll do what I need it to do.

Is SSD the flash storage drive that I just read about on the MacBook Air?Im not a fan of refurbished items either. The warranties are abbreviated in most cases and I just rather new. THanks though. I'll definitely check them out for some other stuff.

epik1
02-06-2012, 03:12 PM
SSD's are universal just like your SATA2 hard drives (the ones with physical platters), they work on any motherboard as long as the motherboard supports SATA2/3 ports.
SSD's would be useful in DJ'ing/production, way less lag time(accessing reading and writing on the hard drives).

Your whole MAC vs PC could go on forever. I'm on a local computer forum and I know someone who's gone through 8 BRAND new macbook PRO's in 2 months. Windows based laptops are CHEAPER and last just as long if you get the right manufacturer (ASUS, Lenovo) since you had a bad experience with lenovo (not sure why, I haven't heard many horror stories from them) I would highly recommend ASUS, especially if they have an office for repairs near you because their warranty turn around times are VERY fast.

The only reason why I have a macbook pro is because I needed it for some programs I use in my field of study and it's easier to install windows on a macbook than OSX on a windows based laptop otherwise known as a hackintosh.

DoDirty409
02-06-2012, 04:18 PM
The Lenovo I had just lacked the power I needed. It barely met the minimum requirements and everytime I used the NS6, after 10 minutes it crapped itself. I figured out the MacBook/PC thing just came down to personal preference and I also think Mac's are the "trendy" or "it" computer to have. Apple is a marketing genius! Perfect example is the camping out for a cell phone?

Overall based on the CPU and memory I should be able to enjoy my NS6 a lot more right? Thats what Im expecting. I hope Im not let down when the Dell arrives.

Unknown DJ
02-06-2012, 05:00 PM
What were the specs on the Lenovo?

Will MaXimal
02-06-2012, 05:01 PM
SSD's are universal just like your SATA2 hard drives (the ones with physical platters), they work on any motherboard as long as the motherboard supports SATA2/3 ports.
SSD's would be useful in DJ'ing/production, way less lag time(accessing reading and writing on the hard drives).

Your whole MAC vs PC could go on forever. I'm on a local computer forum and I know someone who's gone through 8 BRAND new macbook PRO's in 2 months. Windows based laptops are CHEAPER and last just as long if you get the right manufacturer (ASUS, Lenovo) since you had a bad experience with lenovo (not sure why, I haven't heard many horror stories from them) I would highly recommend ASUS, especially if they have an office for repairs near you because their warranty turn around times are VERY fast.

The only reason why I have a macbook pro is because I needed it for some programs I use in my field of study and it's easier to install windows on a macbook than OSX on a windows based laptop otherwise known as a hackintosh.

Yea i highly doubt that anyone could go through 8 new of anything in a 2 month period unless they were using the hardware incorrectly

epik1
02-07-2012, 09:51 AM
^^ They kept overheating. Not running hot "as usual". But, ACTUALLY overheating with burn and score marks. Some had hard drive issues, etc. But that person paid for the apple care so they just kept asking for new ones lol.

DoDirty409
02-08-2012, 11:59 AM
What were the specs on the Lenovo?

Intel Core 2 Duo p7350/2.0GHZ
Vista..............
2gb Ram
250GB 5400 HDD
PCI Express x16 - NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS - 256.0 MB

Synergy
02-17-2012, 07:07 AM
just go macbook. i went mac and haven't looked back. it is so much easier!

Phil Noize
02-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Vista..............
2gb Ram
250GB 5400 HDD

With Windows 7 installed (much faster and better than Vista) and another 2GB RAM, that would be a great machine. Maybe keep it as a backup.

B3NNY
02-17-2012, 12:21 PM
That seems like a good laptop. The hard drive is the only thing I see that is bad. I would suggest picking up a HDD that is 7200 RPM (theyre really cheap in fact I have a new one for sale if you want), but if you can afford a SSD I would really reccomend it. The larger capacity SSD's are really expensive, but once you have one you'll never go back. The 2670QM is a beast of a processor. The Nvidia card has been known to cause issues w/ quite a few people w/ certain NI interfaces, but since you have an NS6 no need to pay attention to that.

danthedj
02-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Vista..............
2gb Ram
250GB 5400 HDD

Totally hate to be the bearer of bad news but this laptop is definitely adequate for what you needed. Unfortunately most people fall into the "well its been a few years and it just got slow, so i must need a new one and everything will be faster!" and that is true, but a simple reload of vista or windows 7 and that laptop would be perfectly fine.

Hindsight is 20/20 i suppose, but its important to learn from this so 3 years from now when the dell you bought is entirely usable and nowhere near the end of its life you dont end up spending another $1k on a new one.

Its sort of along the lines of with a car. If your car is getting worse MPG and a little slower because the intake is clogged, check engine light is on, etc... you wouldnt simply purchase a new car, would you? The same holds true with computers (to a point.)