PDA

View Full Version : "No Requests" sign or no?

RodneyL
03-04-2012, 09:22 AM
I have a teen dance his Saturday out of town. It is a mix up of kids from different counties in the area involved in a community group. Last year there was about 150 students and at all times I had about 20-30 of them around my table trying to make requests. So I sat out a paper for them to write it down... which didn't help much because there would be 10 requests in front of theirs, yet they would come back in 10 minutes wanting to know when their song would be played. :mad:

I'm sure you all have experienced something similar, especially with teenagers.

So this year, the coordinator and I agreed on "no requests" at the dance... instead they asked for requests in advance and I got a list of about 30-40 songs yesterday.

Now I'm 100% sure some kids will still come up and ask that night, Should I post a NO REQUESTS sign or just waste my time all night telling each kid "no" one by one? :freak:

What says ye DJF?

Dix
03-04-2012, 09:42 AM
At a kids event, it would NOT be inappropriate to have a "No Request" sign. I would do it if I anticipated a problem as you have posted. however at a wedding or some other formal event, I would say no sign. I have thought about getting some of that yellow police "Do Not Cross - Police Line" tape & rope off my DJ area.

While this last statement doesn't answer your question, the real problem isnt with requests... your problem at hand is:

I have a teen dance .... It is a mix up of kids...... 150 students..... about 20-30 of them around my table trying to make requests.... paper for them to write it down... which didn't help.... they would come back in 10 minutes wanting to know when their song would be played.
I'm sure you all have experienced something similar, especially with teenagers.

Actually I have experienced this problem... until 2004. Honestly, in the end... kudos to you for taking on this task & giving the kids something to do & enjoy. I just cant do them any more. Good luck & best wishes :)

DJMC
03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I would say NO to any signage.

My solution is to have a Gate Keeper. In my case, it was my teenage daughter (who speaks the same language as the rug rats) -- she would handle all customer interfacing.

I was free to play the music and operate the lighting, without anyone bothering me!

KLH
03-04-2012, 11:16 AM
What says ye DJF?
I say good luck with that. One of the many benefits of using a Mobile DJ is that they take requests and make the music interesting. If you remove requests, the crowd isn't given a chance to connect with the DJ on their terms.

Requests shouldn't be feared, IMHO. Simply find a friendly way to take them and work 'em in. In my experience, they make events better, even though they can be inconvenient to take.

If you're worried about timing, just say to everyone that asks that there are many requests in front, but you'll try to work it in. You're not promising anything, but you'll try. That keeps everyone (including yourself) happy.

-KLH

DjDisArm
03-04-2012, 11:28 AM
I would say NO to any signage.

My solution is to have a Gate Keeper. In my case, it was my teenage daughter (who speaks the same language as the rug rats) -- she would handle all customer interfacing.

I was free to play the music and operate the lighting, without anyone bothering me!

:D lol

Synaxis
03-04-2012, 11:42 AM
I came up with this a idea a few weeks ago.

I have a Google Voice phone number, that can receive text messages as well, and the idea was to just put a sign saying "Send your Song Requests to XXX-XXX-XXXX."

I guarantee you that the majority of them will have cell phones, and if you have a smart phone (Or Wifi), you can log on to the Google Voice Account, and see all the requests they sent.

Will keep them away from your table, and you'll have a list of songs.

That way, your still being "nice" by taking requests, but you won't have to actually interact with the kids.

Just put a disclaimer or something at the bottom of the sign saying, "Requests will be taken in the order revived. No Guarantees that your request will be played."

windspeed36
03-04-2012, 03:06 PM
I came up with this a idea a few weeks ago.

I have a Google Voice phone number, that can receive text messages as well, and the idea was to just put a sign saying "Send your Song Requests to XXX-XXX-XXXX."

I guarantee you that the majority of them will have cell phones, and if you have a smart phone (Or Wifi), you can log on to the Google Voice Account, and see all the requests they sent.

Will keep them away from your table, and you'll have a list of songs.

That way, your still being "nice" by taking requests, but you won't have to actually interact with the kids.

Just put a disclaimer or something at the bottom of the sign saying, "Requests will be taken in the order revived. No Guarantees that your request will be played."

I've heard of someone doing something similar, but instead they used Twitter and people would tweet their requests..

Sween
03-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I've had it with requests. I don't even want to play them at weddings. Requests always suck. I don't tell anyone else how to do their job. Really sick of idiot people coming up to me all night.

Mike D
03-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Put out a request list, leave your headphones on and never take them off.... worked for my partner at a dance.

However, I don't see a problem with putting out a "No Requests" sign, if they don't like it tough luck.

LiteTrix
03-04-2012, 09:04 PM
I've had it with requests. I don't even want to play them at weddings. Requests always suck. I don't tell anyone else how to do their job. Really sick of idiot people coming up to me all night.

Agree. Half the time they come up and request a song that I'm most likely to play later in then night. I don't need to be reminded.

I did a sweet sixteen last year and had a girl come up and put a song on the request sheet. About a minute later she returns and pretty much demands that I play the song she requested right away. Funny part is I didn't even look at the request sheet so I had no idea what she wanted. Turns out it was some weird crazy screamo track that only she was going to like.

It seems like at school dances and kids parties, the kids like to request stupid songs to see if they can make a fool of the DJ.

DutchApples
03-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Put out a request list, leave your headphones on and never take them off.... worked for my partner at a dance.

This is exactly what I do. I regularly DJ at this one bar where people ONLY request Corny line dances or the same Top 40 songs. So I made a "Request Rules" sheet and sign up sheet. The 2 rules are "NO Top 40 requests" and "NO Line dance songs" This usually stops people right there.

The only issue I've had with the headphones on/ignoring people is...not everyone coming up to the DJ booth is coming to make a request. i've done this before and had people tip me, ask for a card, or compliment me.

But since this is a kid's event and you already had some requests on the list, I would say do the sign and send these kids a message early in life not to bother the DJ!

RodneyL
03-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Thanks all. The coordinator is on board so maybe she can help run interference. But I know if I put a sheet out they will storm my table. Last year I had 4 pages of requests at this event (the line at my table looked like the bathroom line at a club) and I maybe played 20% of them due to time, inappropriate song requested, etc. Plus they dont want to just write down a song, they want to ask me if I have it and when it will be played. I think some of them may be illiterate. And if I say, "I will check", they want me to do it right then and if not they want to make a different request.... it's all a big pain in the ass.

I love seeing the kids having fun and enjoying the music... but they make it hard to help them have fun sometimes.

jazzyj
03-05-2012, 08:33 AM
We always take requests, but a) we try to head people off from forming a line at the table by announcing, promoting before the event, etc. that we take requests via text & twitter. b) all the requests filter through my husband so that way I don't have to focus on what these half-drunk people are saying c) we always say if we have it and can fit it in, we'll play.

DJMC
03-05-2012, 09:56 AM

which is why I have three clauses in my contract:

1) Major hits clause (prevents crap song from clearing floor).

2) Interruption of performance clause (prevents idiots from bothering the DJ, because I reserve the right to cancel the performance if someone "interrupts performance".)

3) No hardcore rap or heavy metal clause (unless its a bar gig-- ghetto gansta rap or death metal music will NOT be played)--

With these iron clad boiler plate clauses --- I am never bothered by requests at weddings!

If some drunken idiot comes up demanding "Sussudio" by Phil Collins -- I show him the exit. If he continues to harrass me -- I will notify B/G (or person paying my check) that if the drunk @$$ continues to be a problem, I'll have to shut down!

I've had to invoke this clause 3x in the past 10 years, but I've never had to shut it down yet.....

RodneyL
03-05-2012, 10:19 AM
All of this is well and good for Weddings. I have never had a problem not playing a single request based on any factor. But my original problem is playing a dance for 150 teenagers that think I am their personal iPod.

I have a feeling that even with a sign I will have kids asking for things... but I think I will do it anyway and just point to it when they come to the table. Last year I tried the "headphones on, can't hear you!!!" act but they just stood there until I acknowledged them. I wish I had an elevated stage to be on but this is in a hotel... but alas, I must be eye level with the little ankle biters.

Edit: and btw, DJMC... back off of Sussudio!! ;)

Sween
03-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Edit: and btw, DJMC... back off of Sussudio!! ;)

How bout "In the Air"??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZP4Ugev82I

fueledbymusic
03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Just bring in the CDs or vinyls ONLY! Dont bring that laptop!

jazzyj
03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Could you tell them you take all the requests up front via a spreadsheet/email/twitter/something but anything after X date including during the event will not be taken?

Sween
03-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Could you tell them you take all the requests up front via a spreadsheet/email/twitter/something but anything after X date including during the event will not be taken?

Yeah... Make them use your DJ Intelligence request sheet (if you have one)... and let it tally up the votes. Request Line is closed before you start...

jazzyj
03-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Yeah... Make them use your DJ Intelligence request sheet (if you have one)... and let it tally up the votes. Request Line is closed before you start...

Yah - DJIntelligence rocks :)

RodneyL
03-07-2012, 07:28 AM
From my original post... "they asked for requests in advance and I got a list of about 30-40 songs yesterday."

The issue is not about getting the requests (I already have those)... it's about not being badgered by teenagers all night. The purpose of using the sign is to keep them from hounding me at the table screaming questions at me over the music.

jazzyj
03-07-2012, 07:40 AM
From my original post... "they asked for requests in advance and I got a list of about 30-40 songs yesterday."

The issue is not about getting the requests (I already have those)... it's about not being badgered by teenagers all night. The purpose of using the sign is to keep them from hounding me at the table screaming questions at me over the music.

Wear vinegar as cologne. And a garlic clove necklace. :)

Sween
03-07-2012, 08:23 AM
I think if you already got a list of 30-40 songs you are well within your rights to put up a "No Requests" sign.

Maybe the sign should say "All requests were taken prior to the start of the event, therefore NO MORE REQUESTS can be accepted... Thank You"

Make sure NO MORE REQUESTS is in big bold letters in a visible location.

Do not talk to anyone... just point to the sign. If one single kid sees you talking to someone, they'll think it's okay to come up and pester you.

Da Animal
03-07-2012, 10:29 AM
I think if you already got a list of 30-40 songs you are well within your rights to put up a "No Requests" sign.

Maybe the sign should say "All requests were taken prior to the start of the event, therefore NO MORE REQUESTS can be accepted... Thank You"

Do not talk to anyone... just point to the sign. If one single kid sees you talking to someone, they'll think it's okay to come up and pester you.

^ This to a tee! I usually also make an announcement at the start of the school dances, reminding them where we are, what is appropriate and inappropriate and that I have the choice of what I will and won't play.

RodneyL
03-07-2012, 06:22 PM

perfect. i will use this wording exactly. thanks and + rep

9_north
03-07-2012, 08:31 PM
At gigs like that I have a small notebook on the table With; "Requests, If ive got it ill play it. If not Ill have it next time Guaranteed" written on it. Whenever anyone comes by i just point at the book keep my headphones on and completely ignore them. Seems to be the only way to deal with people like that

Synaxis
03-07-2012, 10:18 PM

I like this idea! +Rep!

Badger
03-10-2012, 11:54 AM

^ Awesome advice. Rodney, you're doing well by going this route.

At gigs like that I have a small notebook on the table With; "Requests, If ive got it ill play it. If not Ill have it next time Guaranteed" written on it. Whenever anyone comes by i just point at the book keep my headphones on and completely ignore them. Seems to be the only way to deal with people like that

With all due respect: I would never give anyone the opportunity to "hold me" to a request in the future by offering a guarantee like that. It's just a really bad idea.

If someone came up and wrote down "Kompressor - 'Brush Your Teeth,'" and then they came back the next time I played the same venue, I wouldn't want them to feel that I had been obligated to have purchased and obligated to play the Kompressor track.

"Guaranteed" is a pretty strong word, and in cases like this, it's a word best avoided.

:badger:

Quentin Legend
03-10-2012, 12:40 PM

With all due respect: I would never give anyone the opportunity to "hold me" to a request in the future by offering a guarantee like that. It's just a really bad idea.

If someone came up and wrote down "Kompressor - 'Brush Your Teeth,'" and then they came back the next time I played the same venue, I wouldn't want them to feel that I had been obligated to have purchased and obligated to play the Kompressor track.

"Guaranteed" is a pretty strong word, and in cases like this, it's a word best avoided.

Agree with this ---^

Robdogg
03-11-2012, 11:08 AM
I've always thought requests were a great way to read a crowd. Kids requests can be annoying but interaction with kids thru requests can really build energy. I didn't get into DJing to ignore my crowd ... How much fun is that.

Dix
03-11-2012, 12:11 PM
At gigs like that I have a small notebook on the table With; "Requests, If ive got it ill play it. If not Ill have it next time Guaranteed" written on it.

I agree as well... Why would you guarantee something that no one expects you to do anyway?? That's just putting yourself in a bad situation.

Badger
03-11-2012, 01:25 PM
I've always thought requests were a great way to read a crowd. Kids requests can be annoying but interaction with kids thru requests can really build energy. I didn't get into DJing to ignore my crowd ... How much fun is that.

I agree wholeheartedly that requests are a great way to read a crowd.

On the other hand... long ago, before I was smart enough to realize that kids' parties were not the kind of gigs for which I was best suited, I had to endure gig after gig of kids (especially in the case of middle schoolers) SWARMING around me and my equipment - often completely ignoring the fact that I had a staffed table to the side set up specifically as the "request table" - to make requests.

By "make requests," I mean:

Scream at me.
Request the same song repeatedly.
Ask when the song they requested five minutes ago is going to be played.
Bring up a half dozen of their dumb little buddies to request the same song repeatedly.
Scream at me.
Ask for some gangsta rap/heavy metal bullshit they already knew I wouldn't be able to play there (even if it were a "clean version").
Demand answers regarding why I wouldn't play said gangsta rap/heavy metal bullshit.
Argue with me regarding my answers regarding why I wouldn't play said gangsta rap/heavy metal bullshit.
Throw candy (Skittles seemed to be a favourite) at my staff, my equipment and myself as some sort of primitive retribution for not playing the aforementioned gangsta rap/heavy metal bullshit.
I did mention "Scream at me," right? Good.

(Yes, I realize that a number of these items could also apply to people at adult events... but those events were never anywhere NEAR as bad as the kids' parties.)

It's pretty tough to do your job when you have a few dozen middle schoolers gathered around you doing all of the above, because they all feel too "entitled" to behave in an orderly fashion, and they all think they're "above the rules."

Plus, once you have enough requests to set up the rest of the gig (and I would let the requests build up WAY past that point before doing so), it's useless to take more requests, because all the rest of the requests will fall into one of two categories:

Tracks that you already know you're going to play.
Tracks that aren't going to get played.

Requests are indeed extremely important in the mobile DJ business, and in my opinion, they should be welcomed, IF they have a chance of being fulfilled and IF the customers (in this case, kids) are willing to play by the rules. In a lot of cases, especially if a DJ is working gigs by himself/herself, the act of "taking requests" becomes so disruptive that the DJ can miss cueing up the next track, not adequately mix (if applicable), etc.

So, in cases like that, I think that a "No Further Requests" sign is quite warranted. It lets people clearly know that after a certain point, regardless of what they come up and do to disturb the DJ, they're too late to get their request played.

In my case, back when I did those kinds of gigs, I eventually came up with a sign that I put out on the request table. The sign was incredibly undiplomatic in some respects; it very bluntly detailed the rules of making requests - explaining that they should write down their requests HERE at the table, NOT scream at the DJ, etc. I even remember at the time, I had a line on the sign that said "We do NOT play anything by Marilyn Manson. DEAL WITH IT."

I was very customer-service oriented towards the parents and sponsors most of the time (even though sometimes they did very little to control their little turd dumplings), but I did not have the time nor the patience to tolerate the abuse that the kids thought they were entitled to put me through.

After a few years in business, I enstated a policy of never taking gigs for middle schools or younger kids... The measly amount the sponsors were usually willing to pay hardly ever made it worth my stress and anger, especially when I would often get called for higher-paying weddings and corporate gigs on the same dates after I'd booked the miserable kids' events. I figured I'd let other mobile companies have their fun with the kiddies. :)

RodneyL
03-19-2012, 09:16 AM
The sign worked relatively well. I still had about 5 or 6 kids that read it and said "I know you aren't taking requests, but can you play blah blah?" I just told them I had a list of songs to chose from given to me by the lady in charge and I could only play off those. lol.

Everyone had a ton of fun though. Floor was packed all three hours (minus when they opened the ice cream table) and I still kept 20 or 30 kids dancing during that!!

Badger
03-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Wow... sounds like it went great. Congratulations, Rodney, and thanks for the update!