PDA

View Full Version : which DJ softwares have "split cue" function?

DJ Matt
08-10-2013, 07:43 PM
which DJ softwares have "split cue" function?

currently Virtual DJ does not support this, meaning the user needs to use a external mixer to achieve it such as Denon MC6000

do any others?

drzinc
08-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Virtual DJ does this. Your controller may not but both of mine do. Both are Hercules.

Azaex
08-11-2013, 05:15 AM
ITCH does, but only with some controllers. Traktor, you can make it do split cue by sending Record to one of the ears and cue to the other ear (if you're not using Record, that is). You could really just make a split cue though, if you can tap into the master output and route it correctly to your headphones (use wires, splitters, another mixer :P)

DJ Matt
08-11-2013, 05:49 AM
ITCH does, but only with some controllers. Traktor, you can make it do split cue by sending Record to one of the ears and cue to the other ear (if you're not using Record, that is). You could really just make a split cue though, if you can tap into the master output and route it correctly to your headphones (use wires, splitters, another mixer :P)

i have been down the 'wires & splitters' route, and could not get enough volume out of the headphones :(

@DJ zinc how are you achieving this?
here is a recent statement from virtual DJ regarding that

Sorry, VirtualDJ does not currently support split cue. However, you can in most cases achieve this using advanced sound configuration with mono channels. Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Split%20cue%20using%20advanced%20sound%20config.ht ml

Another option is the Denon MC6000 - This is a both a hardware DJ mixer and MIDI controller in a single unit, so when configured in hardware mixer mode (Outputs: External Mixer in VirtualDJ and INT MIX setting on the back of the MC6000), you can use its hardware mixer's built-in split cue capability.

NOTE: Split cue capability within VirtualDJ itself may be added to a future version of the software.

they are recommending to re-configure the outputs, im not a fan of this because it (A: it just didnt work for some reason) and (B: i would lose independant volume control ) and (C: i would lose the option to switch back to two headphone monitoring during a gig, which i need when i dont know a song particularly well)

drzinc
08-11-2013, 11:52 AM
The Hercules line of controllers have had this feature for a while. Here are some pictures of the RMX and 4-MX split cue feature.

i have been down the 'wires & splitters' route, and could not get enough volume out of the headphones :(

@DJ zinc how are you achieving this?
here is a recent statement from virtual DJ regarding that

they are recommending to re-configure the outputs, im not a fan of this because it (A: it just didnt work for some reason) and (B: i would lose independant volume control ) and (C: i would lose the option to switch back to two headphone monitoring during a gig, which i need when i dont know a song particularly well)

DJ Matt
08-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Mr. Zinc I think you are confused about what split cue actually means

This function on the Hercules controllers just allows you to fade over and back between the cued track and the master output . But all the time both will be heard on both sides of the headphones

Split cue means dedicating just one headphone to each
Ie. left = cued track , right = master

drzinc
08-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Mr. Zinc I think you are confused about what split cue actually means

This function on the Hercules controllers just allows you to fade over and back between the cued track and the master output . But all the time both will be heard on both sides of the headphones

Split cue means dedicating just one headphone to each
Ie. left = cued track , right = master

I see what u mean... But being able to hear both the main output and the cue in the headphone allows you to mix properly using a headphone when having a monitor is not possible. Is this what you are trying to do?

DJ Matt
08-11-2013, 03:32 PM
I see what u mean... But being able to hear both the main output and the cue in the headphone allows you to mix properly using a headphone when having a monitor is not possible. Is this what you are trying to do?

i need to have one in each ear... because it gets very confusing if i can hear both at the same time , one beat goes off and it can be hard to tell from which track it is

Skasja
08-11-2013, 03:46 PM
You can just jiggle the input source on your headphones between monitor and the song you're cueing... Train your brain :)

Andrew B
08-11-2013, 04:39 PM
i need to have one in each ear... because it gets very confusing if i can hear both at the same time , one beat goes off and it can be hard to tell from which track it is

You're going to have to learn to mix like that at some point.

Train your brain :)

Yup. :tup:

edit: Just saw your most recent post. Apologies. Don't you use monitors to mix?

DJ Matt
08-11-2013, 04:39 PM
You can just jiggle the input source on your headphones between monitor and the song you're cueing... Train your brain :)

my brain is trained, believe me, i have been Djing for nearly two decades... but personally i like the split cue function.

(can i mix with the basic, both tracks in both headphones... well yes, but do i like it ? nope )

and i guess im not very good at putting my point across in forums , what i really want is to know if ANY other software does this? thereby meaning that it IS in fact possible (which i very much believe it is)
so i can get right back to virtual DJ and tell them to get off their arses and implement it :)

DJ Matt
08-11-2013, 06:10 PM
edit: Just saw your most recent post. Apologies. Don't you use monitors to mix?

yes i do, but at most of my gigs i am supplying the equipment and i find that for small venues, the split cue is nicer to work with, and it is handier not to have to bring a monitor. one less thing... ;)

Azaex
08-12-2013, 03:54 AM

use a headphone amp? :)