PDA

View Full Version : New Market Light Stands. Who Sells These?

smcbride44
08-10-2013, 10:27 AM
I have been searching all over for these market light stands with the weighted square base (as you can see in the photo). From my understanding you will not need to add additional support with ropes when using these stands. Have you seen these before or know where i could purchase them? Much appreciated!

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/toy100/MarketLightStand_zps345a2b5c.jpeg

vsyucla
08-11-2013, 04:22 AM
This is an adjustable uprights (pipe and drape) setup. The two largest manufacturers in US are Georgia Expo and Innovative Systems. Most other online vendors simply are resellers of these two.

The setup here is probably 2 pcs or 3pcs adjustable uprights with a black custom cloth sleeve. Assuming the 10 foot basketball hoop, the uprights are probably set at 11 ft, so the 8-14 ft 2pc uprights will suffice. The uprights slips into a drop in nipple attached to a steel base plate. You will probably need at least the 24 in x 24 in base plate. The rubber bases are also sold by these two companies. See:
http://www.innovative-sys.com

smcbride44
08-11-2013, 09:37 AM
This is an adjustable uprights (pipe and drape) setup. The two largest manufacturers in US are Georgia Expo and Innovative Systems. Most other online vendors simply are resellers of these two.

The setup here is probably 2 pcs or 3pcs adjustable uprights with a black custom cloth sleeve. Assuming the 10 foot basketball hoop, the uprights are probably set at 11 ft, so the 8-14 ft 2pc uprights will suffice. The uprights slips into a drop in nipple attached to a steel base plate. You will probably need at least the 24 in x 24 in base plate. The rubber bases are also sold by these two companies. See:
http://www.innovative-sys.com

Thank you very much for the information. Can you share a little about your experience you have had with these? No need for an anchor with the rubber base and 24x24 anchor. I am searching for a stand alone solution for a market lights stand and beleive this is the most sturdy stand out there. Please share your thoughts and thanks again!

BillESC
08-11-2013, 12:39 PM
I would submit these are not aluminum pipe and drape units as there would not be enough weight to keep the stands from toppling over.

They are probably 50# bases with 1.5" black steel pipes and the black boxes covering the bases are probably hiding additional sand bags.

smcbride44
08-13-2013, 07:45 AM
I would submit these are not aluminum pipe and drape units as there would not be enough weight to keep the stands from toppling over.

They are probably 50# bases with 1.5" black steel pipes and the black boxes covering the bases are probably hiding additional sand bags.

Bill, do you know of a stand out there that will allow you to hang market lights without requiring an anchor? I know the lighting truss'/truss stands are quite sturdy, but a tad to cumbersome and heavy for efficiency. My goal is to reduce the amount of time required to set-up and take-down. Cutting out the anchor would save a significant amount of time and create a more appealing visual on site.

BillESC
08-13-2013, 08:21 AM
I've already presented the solution to your quest.

smcbride44
08-18-2013, 12:42 PM
I've already presented the solution to your quest.

Do you happen to sell these or know of any alternatives to these three companies, Georgia Expo, Global Truss and Innovative Systems? I have tried all three and the only company that sells them is Georgia Expo, but they are on the East coast and I'm located in CA. The shipping cost is outrageous...

BillESC
08-19-2013, 01:36 PM
I sell the bases for $ 135 each. The pipe you would source locally, it comes in 21' lengths. You should be able to arrange for it to be cut and threaded for around $ 60 per length.

Freight costs will depend upon the number of bases ordered and keep in mind the more you order the cheaper the shipping will be per base.

BillESC
08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
You could also go another direction and get Global Truss bases and their single tube "trussing"

Using MAP pricing their 36" steel bases weigh 95 pounds and cost $ 350.95 and their 10' single tube is $ 110.95
The tubes are available in 1/2 meter increments.

vsyucla
08-20-2013, 02:48 AM
those are definitely rubber bases. You can tell by the slot and the base carry handle. There are 3 rubber bases weighing 20# each. The metal base is a 24 x 24 inch base weighing 31#. You can tell because the base is larger than the rubber bases weighing. Thus, each upright is using a total of 100# as a base.

I can not tell which uprights are used here because of the custom slip over black sleeve. The preferred method is to use black steel pipes as BillESC suggests. You can use the screw in metal base plates instead of using the slip fit nipple style.

The direction you go will depend on how high you will need to go, how windy, and how much tension there will be (depending on string run).

Nick_EventPro
08-20-2013, 03:52 PM
They are most definitely boom bases as Bill suggested. The additional weights are rubber slotted weights used in lieu of sandbags. Pipe is also most definitely 1.5 steel pipe- probably threaded. We have pipe and drape up to 25ft. high and use a 16" tall nipple and I still wouldn't use that for this application. Pipe and drape will handle some horizontal load, but the aluminum uprights most often used in pipe and drape are made for drape, small light toppers etc. I wouldn't build a grid like this with them- unless i ts for fabric.

The pipes are sleeved with black fabric and then lights are hung.

smcbride44
08-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Pipe is also most definitely 1.5 steel pipe- probably threaded. We have pipe and drape up to 25ft. high and use a 16" tall nipple and I still wouldn't use that for this application. Pipe and drape will handle some horizontal load, but the aluminum uprights most often used in pipe and drape are made for drape, small light toppers etc. I wouldn't build a grid like this with them- unless i ts for fabric.

The pipes are sleeved with black fabric and then lights are hung.

I actually reached out to the guy who created this and you guys are spot on.

2" 8 - 14 TELE UPRIGHT SLIP FIT COLLAR TWO PIECE (I believe steel, but need to confirm)
12" SLIP FIT NIPPLE w SCREW 2" Dia
24" SLIP FIT EXTRA HEAVY BLACK BASE 62 LB 6" NIPPLE
30NL BASE WEIGHTS 30 LB ( NO LOGO)

If you are suggesting this will not do the job. What would you advise? I am looking to purchase a set-up that will make for fastest possible set-up removal time, while maintaining a visually appealing presentation. I urk at the thought of going all truss stand vs. the single steel pole upright. These are intended to be used outdoor exclusively for commercial grade string lights as seen in this photo. The average length of string light I would be connecting stand to stand is roughly 50ft. http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/toy100/IMG_2201_zpsd14e3ec2.jpg

I could always go back to using the guide wire and anchor system, but would like to exhaust all other options before conceding. Would appreciate your thoughts on this subject.

Appreciate your time in advance!

BillESC
08-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Notice on the left of the picture there is a guy wire anchoring the upright against the pull of the string light.