PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading?

WillieB69
08-07-2013, 06:35 PM
This is my current light setup:

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s567/OffTheRecordAudio/DSCI1034_zps17b53731.jpg

Two Chauvet Mini-Kintas
Two generic RGBA Pars
Two Chauvet Stage Banks

Thinking of getting a Chauvet 4Bar Flex:

http://www.amazon.com/Chauvet-4-Bar-Lighting-System/dp/B0029WOLRU/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_y

I can mount the Mini-Kintas to the top and use my two generic RGBA pars for uplighting behind the DJ booth or something.

My daughter can have those two P.O.S. Stage Banks to play with in her room. (worst purchase EVER)

Reasons behind this:

1) Overall "cleaner" look
2) Carrying case for the 4Bar makes loading in/out easier
3) Quicker setup
4) More wash lighting
5) The Chauvet Stage Banks suck.

So that's my idea unless anyone else has some better suggestions at a similar price point to the 4Bar.

DJzrule
08-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Get either the 4-Bar Tri OR my personal new favorite multi-purpose BRIGHT pars, the American DJ QWH5. It's CRAZY bright, and with the LSF filter by American DJ, these things are fantastic washes. 2 could light up a crowd of 200 people on a dance floor easy.

Use the generic pucks for uplighting, you can expand from there.

Synaxis
08-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Ditch the Stage banks. They are not very professional, and are probably one of Chauvet's worst products ever. But I'm guessing you already realized that per your point #5.

Do not get the 4-Bar flex. It's way too much on a single tripod, it will look over crowded, and NOT clean.

I would get either the 4-bar Tri, or Blizzard Weather System. Get another tripod for the Kintas, or mount them both under your speakers. And I like your idea to use the two pars as uplights behind the booth. I would do the same.

WillieB69
08-10-2013, 09:33 AM
OK, so that's two shoutouts for the Tri.

What really is different between that and the Flex (other than the light configuration itself) that makes almost $200 difference in the price?

robare99
08-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Instead of what I call the "lite-brite" look, the 4 bar tris have a red, a green and a blue LED behind a lens. With the cheaper ones, if you want red, only the red LED's light up. If you want blue, then only the blue led's light up.

If you want purple, the blue and red LED's light up.

With the Tri-LED's the red and blue light up behind the lens, and the lens looks purple.

They look better, they're brighter. Instead of buying that individual led ones, and eventually moving up to the 4bar tri's, skip that step. Skip having to sell the old ones, skip getting approval from the wife, again (it's ok, I've been there ;)) pay a little more, buy once, cry once.

Dix
08-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Without derailing the thread, would you recommend the Chauvet Mini-Kintas? Would you buy them again if you needed to replace them? I currently own a Chauvet Double Derby & was going to buy another... but if the two mini-kinta's are as good, I'll consider getting a couple of those instead of the Double Derbys.

WillieB69
08-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Without derailing the thread, would you recommend the Chauvet Mini-Kintas? Would you buy them again if you needed to replace them? I currently own a Chauvet Double Derby & was going to buy another... but if the two mini-kinta's are as good, I'll consider getting a couple of those instead of the Double Derbys.

Looking at the two side by side, I think I would still go with the Kintas. While the effects are similar I like the Mini-Kintas a little better and I've been happy with their performance thus far. The two are close enough in price that it would really boil down to your preference. If you've already got one Derby though, I'd go with a second rather than buying 2 Kintas. Unless you wanted to buy two Kintas and split the two with the Derby you already have.

WillieB69
08-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Double Post

WillieB69
08-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Instead of what I call the "lite-brite" look, the 4 bar tris have a red, a green and a blue LED behind a lens. With the cheaper ones, if you want red, only the red LED's light up. If you want blue, then only the blue led's light up.

If you want purple, the blue and red LED's light up.

With the Tri-LED's the red and blue light up behind the lens, and the lens looks purple.

They look better, they're brighter. Instead of buying that individual led ones, and eventually moving up to the 4bar tri's, skip that step. Skip having to sell the old ones, skip getting approval from the wife, again (it's ok, I've been there ;)) pay a little more, buy once, cry once.

Makes sense but the extra $$$ would still be a hit to my budget.
I'm still considering it though. I just wish I could still mount the Kintas to it.

robare99
08-10-2013, 04:55 PM
What about these 2 screws at the top? You might be able to mount the Kintas off those...

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/54234F34-53AB-4E5A-845E-D4720419D77A-6427-0000042914ED42DA.jpg

WillieB69
08-11-2013, 05:43 PM
What about these 2 screws at the top? You might be able to mount the Kintas off those...

Dammit.... I just might be sold on those now. :D

Now to convince the wife...... :eek:

sss18734
08-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Sell it all, get a pair of 4-bars, and call it a day. Cleaner... brighter... easier to set up... and symmetrical.

Ntertainment
08-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Now to convince the wife...... :eek:

Don't, they have no place in business!

robare99
08-11-2013, 11:42 PM
If you go with the 4Bar Tris, you are skipping a step in the upgrade chain, which will SAVE you money in the long run. In the future, try to envision what your whole setup will look like, and try to work towards that, piece by piece.

Two 4Bar Tris is a good solid foundation to build upon.

Here's my latest upgrade. I changed the clamps on all my moving heads (4 Minimac Profiles, and 4 Spot Duos) to metal ones. I know the plastic ones are rated for 75lbs, and the fixtures are 25lbs (MM) and 18lbs (SD) and I'm sure they are over-engineered to hold double that. But call me paranoid, I want more than that. I want piece of mind, with no questions. So I went for metal ones.

New one on the left, obviously:
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/B91001B5-A2A7-4CE7-853B-47B180231BF2-8223-00000574BC4BA932.jpg

And the rating:
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/FF4D040D-366E-4328-92A9-626C8E569213-8223-00000574C1DE9CE4.jpg

Again just a little tweak to the setup to make it better, be it safety cables, proper DMX cables etc. just work towards that end goal.

WillieB69
08-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I think 660 lbs might be a little overkill but at least you know it's safe! :D

On a side note: What do you guys think of the generic offshoots?
I've heard most of them come from the same factory as Chauvet and they just slap a different label on them. (Or no label at all)
If the quality is basically the same and almost half the cost without the Chauvet tag, I'm all over that.

rotoitiman
08-13-2013, 05:41 AM
Yeah, I think 660 lbs might be a little overkill but at least you know it's safe! :D

On a side note: What do you guys think of the generic offshoots?
I've heard most of them come from the same factory as Chauvet and they just slap a different label on them. (Or no label at all)
If the quality is basically the same and almost half the cost without the Chauvet tag, I'm all over that.

I have first hand knowledge of buying directly from Chinese wholesalers, and I would never go down that path again. For basic par and wash lights, no problem. They are cheap and basic and do a good job. Movers, and even effect lighting are a different story. Long story short, buy new with warranties and save yourself the frustration and time and effort that I experienced.

robare99
08-13-2013, 08:06 AM
I have first hand knowledge of buying directly from Chinese wholesalers, and I would never go down that path again. For basic par and wash lights, no problem. They are cheap and basic and do a good job. Movers, and even effect lighting are a different story. Long story short, buy new with warranties and save yourself the frustration and time and effort that I experienced.

If you look through a few of the listings, you'll see there are factories everywhere. Assuming they all come from one factory that makes chauvet and releases unstamped lights for cheaper is a bad assumption. I've considered it in the past, but after reading different reviews and experiences I decided to stay with name bran lights. The service and reputation of the company is reassuring. I'm the guy that sets up his gear, and everything works. I'm not chasing down a bad cord trying to find why something isn't working.

Reliability is paramount to me. Even those clamps, I'm pretty sure the plastic ones would suffice, but now I have absolutely no doubt that those lights are going to stay where I mount them.

Just something to think about. Like I said, click around on the different links. Check the locations.

http://m.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=led+dmx+lights+moving+head

WillieB69
08-13-2013, 04:27 PM
K.
This is going to take some thought then.
As much as I like the Tri's, I can't justify dropping $600 on them right now.
I can barely convince myself to drop $400 for the regular 4Bars.

I almost had myself convinced to go with the Mini 4Bar 2.0 but I think I might regret that one.
Just can't see a single Mini being bright enough for a whole dance floor.
(Although eBay does have some pretty good deals on 2'fers.....)

BillESC
08-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Good deals indicate they aren't selling.

WillieB69
08-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Good deals indicate they aren't selling.

Touche'

rotoitiman
08-13-2013, 04:42 PM
K.
This is going to take some thought then.
As much as I like the Tri's, I can't justify dropping $600 on them right now.
I can barely convince myself to drop $400 for the regular 4Bars.

I almost had myself convinced to go with the Mini 4Bar 2.0 but I think I might regret that one.
Just can't see a single Mini being bright enough for a whole dance floor.
(Although eBay does have some pretty good deals on 2'fers.....)

Take a risk, buy cheap and cross your fingers every gig you do. Buy legit and feel confident every time you perform. I would just make do with what you have and save.

WillieB69
08-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Wife just caught me eyeballing the 4Bar Tri. (The "real" Chauvet one)

Her comment?
"It's your money. Do what you want. Just wait until the checks clear before you order them."

So, I guess I'm getting the Tri, justified or not. :lol: