PDA

View Full Version : KRK Rokit Powered 5 plugging into mixer

justhansel
03-03-2012, 09:26 PM
What wire do I need to plug the KRK Rokit 5 into my Numark M2 Mixer, the M2 doesn't have XLR, it just has two RCA inputs.

Chay
03-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Use RCA cables and connect it to your Mixer's "Master" output both Left and Right channels to the monitors at the back via RCA.

ampnation
03-03-2012, 10:06 PM
If your speakers only have XLR and your mixer only has RCA, you need to add an isolation transformer. The ART DTI (http://www.zzounds.com/item--ARTDTI) is a reasonably priced iso transformer that would work.

Your other option -- if you already have another mixer handy, one with RCA inputs and either 1/4" TRS (balanced) or XLR outputs, you could run your signal through that first. If you don't, the DTI will be less expensive than a good quality mixer, even one with limited inputs so that would be a better option. If you have a mixer with 1/4" outs, you can get a cable with 1/4" plug and XLR male for less at monoprice.com than buying adapters for XLR cables at Guitar Center.

This is why I recommend buying a mixer with XLR outs and the inclusion of this hardware inside the mixer is why those mixers sell for more.

ampnation
03-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I didn't realize they had RCA inputs based on your question, so I'm hoping the reason you were asking was because you wanted to place your monitors far enough away from the mixer that you were worried about interference which a balanced (XLR or TRS) cable would avoid. If you're running under 6 feet, RCA should be fine unless you have awful EM interference. If over 6 ft, use the method I described.

If you don't know the difference between unbalanced and balanced, read this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

akswun
03-07-2012, 02:28 PM
wow take your mixer and throw it really hard against a wall.

*Problem solved

No but really, using the RCA inputs on your KRK's is such a waste of money. You're better off buying a 2.1 Logitech system for like $20 bones. So in other words look into buying a better mixer with preferably XLR or Balanced TRS outputs.

mostapha
03-07-2012, 02:59 PM
wow take your mixer and throw it really hard against a wall.

*Problem solved

No but really, using the RCA inputs on your KRK's is such a waste of money. You're better off buying a 2.1 Logitech system for like $20 bones. So in other words look into buying a better mixer with preferably XLR or Balanced TRS outputs.

This might be the worst advice I've read on DJF.

Unbalnanced cables are more susceptible to EM interference, but line level signals are already kinda loud…so it has to be pretty bad before it's audible.

In the long run, yes, upgrade your mixer…there are a lot of better ones available for not much money. But, it's–by no means–the end of the world.

Phil Noize
03-07-2012, 06:33 PM
^^^ Spot on.

JuxtaPoser
03-07-2012, 06:54 PM
I have a DJM800 and I still connect my RP5 G2s via RCA. For simple DJing practice it's perfectly adequate, don't sweat it.

Finnish_Fox
03-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Don't the KRK's also have a line input?

JuxtaPoser
03-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Don't the KRK's also have a line input?

Yup, TRS, XLR & RCA. I just don't have any XLR or TRS cables at home and didn't bother buying any when I realised it sounded just fine with RCAs :shrug:

mostapha
03-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Don't the KRK's also have a line input?What isn't line input about the RCA outs on a DJ mixer?

I have a DJM800 and I still connect my RP5 G2s via RCA. For simple DJing practice it's perfectly adequate, don't sweat it.

Why?

JuxtaPoser
03-08-2012, 04:48 AM
What isn't line input about the RCA outs on a DJ mixer?

Why?

RCA is unbalanced Line, TRS is balanced Line. If you read the rest of my posts you'd see why - I found the RCAs more than adequate for my purposes so simply haven't bothered getting round to picking up TRS cables yet.

fullenglishpint
03-08-2012, 06:02 AM
You might like to check out the guide to audio cables and connections I wrote last year. It clears up balanced vs unbalanced and advantages of certain cables over others.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/07/the-essential-guide-to-audio-cables-for-djs/

mostapha
03-08-2012, 12:13 PM
RCA is unbalanced Line, TRS is balanced Line. If you read the rest of my posts you'd see why - I found the RCAs more than adequate for my purposes so simply haven't bothered getting round to picking up TRS cables yet.

Weird. Despite the time stamps, that post wasn't there when I posted mine. Probably some weird caching issue.

Finnish_Fox
03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Yup, TRS, XLR & RCA. I just don't have any XLR or TRS cables at home and didn't bother buying any when I realised it sounded just fine with RCAs :shrug:

So what is the OPs problem?

I assume he meant the M2 has RCA outs... right?

Finnish_Fox
03-08-2012, 12:50 PM
What isn't line input about the RCA outs on a DJ mixer?

I mean 1/4"...

justhansel
03-08-2012, 10:31 PM
All I would like to know is what wire is needed to plug one KRK into my M2 mixer, by way of RCA, since M2 doesn't have XLR. Yes, I would love to have a better mixer, I am saving up for that so it wouldn't be a problem if I had a mixer with XLR inputs. Thanks for the help.

ampnation
03-09-2012, 06:12 AM
All I would like to know is what wire is needed to plug one KRK into my M2 mixer, by way of RCA, since M2 doesn't have XLR. Yes, I would love to have a better mixer, I am saving up for that so it wouldn't be a problem if I had a mixer with XLR inputs. Thanks for the help.

You only have ONE monitor??? ummm, okay, then since the M2 doesn't have pan controls on the channel strips, you need to combine your left and right channels to a single RCA or XLR from your two (left and right) RCA outputs. There are many tools you could use for this job, all correct. None of those tools are as simple as a cable. If you have a cable with one connector on one end and two connectors on the other end, you're supposed to use that to split 9 times out of 10. The other 10% of the time, that cable will be two mono connectors on one end and a stereo connector on the other. Never do you want to go from stereo to mono without involving SOME circuitry to handle the job.

So what can you use to sum (combine) your signal to mono? Here are some examples...

ART PowerMIX III
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ART-PowerMIX-III---3-Channel-Personal-Mixer-180625-i1125065.gc
With this device you would plug your M2's left into channel 1 left input on the ART and right into channel 2 left input, then take the left channel of the master output to your monitor. Since you would only be using the left channel, it would be safe and probably best, to pan the channels hard left. The cables would all be RCA which is always unbalanced. You know the difference between balanced and unbalanced because you read the wikipedia article I linked to, right?

Rane SM 82s
http://www.sixstardj.com/ranesm82.html
This device doesn't have RCA inputs but does have unbalanced 1/4" inputs aka TS inputs. To use it, you would need RCA to 1/4" TS cables. You could then use a 1/4" TRS (balanced) output to run to your single KRK. Use the same strategy as above... left only, pan channels hard left, take the left output.

Peavey PV6 Mixer
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-PV6-Mixer-104006358-i1153511.gc
This mixer would do the same thing as the above devices but be more versatile in many ways since it offers things like mic inputs, phantom power, FX. Same concept... plug into channels 3 & 4 left inputs using RCA to 1/4" TS cables, pan ea hard left and use a 1/4" TRS to XLR male cable from the left 1/4" TRS output to your monitor.

Note that XLR male (3 pins) connectors are outputs and XLR female (3 holes) connectors are inputs.

One last option... buy a 2nd monitor
http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Rokit-Powered-5-Generation-2-Powered-Studio-Monitor--Each--104908710-i1403132.gc

Obviously the ART and Peavey options above are the only ones that give you a satisfactory result with less cost than buying your 2nd monitor. I believe the ART is the less expensive of the two. And to be honest, the Rane I listed simply to show you that although you might not want to spend even the money for the ART, it is a CHEAP option... DJ equipment that is worth buying at all, isn't cheap. About the only way to save money here vs. the ART option would be to find a used mixer like the Peavey I linked. Behringer makes a similar cheaper mixer but I don't recommend it. I have one (UB802) and it pretty much sucks.

And before you reply... repeat after me... "Never use a Y cable to sum two signals into one signal"

fullenglishpint
03-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Or you could just use one half of an RCA cable and only get one half of the stereo. Annoying for certain songs, but if you only have one monitor I'd save the money until you can afford a second rather than spend more trying to sum both channels.

Subprime
03-09-2012, 07:54 AM
You should be able to get away with just using one channel for most dance music. You'll lose a bit of the more detailed production of the track, but mixing should be largely fine as long as you're not playing tracks with full on stereo separation.

justhansel
03-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the help, different question now, if i were to have two KRK's and wanted to plug them into a DJM-900, would I only need two XLR wires one for each monitor, or is a different combination needed for that?

mostapha
03-09-2012, 02:12 PM
That's already been answered in this thread.

Phil Noize
03-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the help, different question now, if i were to have two KRK's and wanted to plug them into a DJM-900, would I only need two XLR wires one for each monitor, or is a different combination needed for that?

Yes, 2 XLR cables would do the job.

ampnation
03-10-2012, 07:38 PM
:banghead:

Before you ask any more questions. Please answer this... Did you or did you not read the article about balanced audio I linked to. When the answer is yes, feel free to ask more questions. Chances are you won't need to because that article will answer them for you. If you can't be bothered to read a short article, I can't be bothered to spend my time helping you.