PDA

View Full Version : Are computers and DJ apps now stable?

KLH
08-05-2013, 07:32 AM
I've been using Traktor Pro for the past 24 months now. I've only experienced a freeze in TP when I unplugged an F1 and tried to load a remix deck into a remix deck that was playing. (Don't do that, BTW.) I gig live (on FWR) once-twice a week and broadcast (via FMLE) using the computer that runs Traktor.

I've not crashed once. I've limped through a set because I didn't optimize the settings (i.e. latency or drivers).

Understand that my laptop is dedicated to DJ apps. I keep Windows 7 and apps updated (iTunes, TSP, Audacity, and MixMeister BPM Analyzer, FMLE, Logitech Webcam).

Is everyone else experiencing solid dependability with the laptops and DJ software now? I guess what I'm asking is... Is the laptop/controller combo now as dependable as a traditional setup?

-KLH

Ryan Ruel
08-05-2013, 07:47 AM
I would say no.

Although laptops/controllers can be VERY stable, there is inherently an order of magnitudes more variables involved which could lead to issues.

With a laptop and software, all of the components of the setup are dependent upon one another, the machine and the OS.

If you have 3 decks and a mixer, even if one of the decks has an issue it's completely isolated from the other two. You do still have single points of failure (cables, amps, the mixer, etc.), but they are usually a constant across either platform.

I don't think a laptop setup can ever be considered as stable as purpose built gear, for DJ'ing or otherwise.

The said, do I think laptops/controllers are stable ENOUGH, yes! Just have a backup... always.

punky
08-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Traktor crashes on me now and again. It's not 100% stable, but nothing is. Not even a "traditional setup" - always have a back up. A splitter RCA cable and a fully charged iPod works.

Shishdisma
08-06-2013, 11:01 AM
The "stability" issue with laptops isn't really rooted in "oh shit Traktor just crashed to desktop," but rather the absolutely insane amount of bullshit management has to deal with around 75% of the time a laptop finds its way into the booth.

People lamenting the stability of laptop systems were never really complaining about the guy with a prepatched "box o' SSL" in a flight case that showed up and left without incident. Its always the simply mind boggling amount of absurd bullshit that usually comes around whenever laptop DJs show up. I'd estimate from my experience that around 90% of DJs are fucking retards, FAR below even the most hopeless member of teh interwebz community. Give them laptops, and they will give you blood. Your blood. And tears too.

bumpyjonas
08-06-2013, 12:43 PM
The laptop mode for djing has improved but the uncertainty of apps failing still exist. I primarily use SSL with CDJ's in HID mode on a dedicated MBP and I have issues with the program freezing on occasion.

The dependency of hardware with software while djing with a computer will probably never be totally reliable. However I would take a laptop setup over a traditional rig.

Dj DRPX
08-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Is a laptop as stable as a traditional setup? No

Is a laptop a very reliable and stable setup if you know how to maintain it. Yeah.
My laptop has never crashed when running Traktor or Ableton. The latency and driver issues need to be worked out before gigs, but shouldn't require too much time once you know how to fix them.

Panotaker
08-06-2013, 07:17 PM
I consider a traditional setup, what we used in the 70's and 80's. Two Technics turntable and a Club mixer. Back then it was either a Urei 1620 or a Rane MP24 mixer. Those pieces of equipment where super reliable and built like a tank. The only back up I ever had was a couple of extra needles, and maybe a tape deck. Fast forward to today, and equipment like laptops, controllers and CD players may be reliable, but they sure as hell are not built like a tank. There are a lot more things that could go wrong with today's equipment, you just have to be more careful that's all. Just keep the drunks out of the DJ booth, keep a dedicated music only laptop, and buy top of the line gear and you should be fine.

Azaex
08-11-2013, 05:35 AM
I've gotten Traktor and Serato to crash hard on me many, many times. I usually run Traktor with my Mixtrack as a portable setup, when I don't want to lug my NS6 around. I use ASIO4ALL to send master output through an external sound card, and headphone cue through internal, and Traktor has freaked out a number of times trying to set that up. Don't use ASIO4ALL if you can, way too janky of a setup to trust. The other pretty bad glitch I've had a few times with Traktor is when a track deck starts malfunctioning, and crashes the software if you try to load a track into it. Usually the fact that the track deck is acting weird tells me to prep my backup system though, heh.

ITCH, well, crashes hard if you pull your controller's USB cable out. You can recover from pulling a controller out from Traktor by putting it back in and setting your midi maps to respond to the "#2" of your controller. ITCH I think is supposed to revert back to offline mode when a controller is removed (which is pretty good at playing songs back to back by the way, no latency between song changes), but to be honest, ITCH has only reverted back maybe 5% of the time. The other 95% of the time it just stops listening to me.

Oh what I would give for CDJ's and a mixer, heh, my laptop just scares me to be totally honest. I swear I think it's something with the clock speeds of typical laptops, a lot of the video games I play have simply not liked being limited to a 2300Mhz CPU. I know the GPU and RAM are fine with my comp, CPU just seems to bottleneck a lot of stuff. Wish they'd bump it up a bit, agh.

Another solution I was kind of thinking about was getting a LAN-style desktop case to be honest. Something like this (http://www.ssiportable.com/products/portable-solutions/97-2/). I could get a desktop CPU with a decent clock speed, maybe a small patch bay going on in there even, heck, I could slap 4 CD readers in there and call my setup a CDJ :spin:. Still debating on whether it's a good idea or not though, if you have the time, tell me what you think about that?