PDA

View Full Version : Newest PAR Ligts. Which to buy?

smcbride44
08-04-2013, 11:31 AM
There are several amazing options available right now and i cannot decide on which would be best. These are going to primarily used for weddings. Here are the options below. Please help by sharing which lights you would buy and why.

I am torn between the new Wifly ar QA5 released by American DJ. I REALLY like the new technology of wireless DMX and rechargeable battery that last up to 6 hours, BUT there are only 5 diodes, as compared to the new QA12X there are 12 diodes. I really like the opportunity to be able to have a longer reach and more powerful light that the QA12X provides.

Lastly, for wedding and events would you suggest the White PAR or the Amber PAR?

WiFly Par QA5 - Battery LED Par 5W Quad LEDs - American DJ
FLAT PAR QA12X - Featuring twelve 5-Watt QUAD LED- American DJ
FLAT PAR QW12X - Featuring twelve 5-Watt QUAD LED- American DJ

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz60/astroavl/AMDJ/WiflyParQA5.jpg
http://www.pssl.com/images/ProdImage01/1000/FLAT-PAR-QA12X.jpghttp://www.ellumiglow.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/0f396e8a55728e79b48334e699243c07/f/l/flat-par-qwh12x.jpg

BillESC
08-04-2013, 11:43 AM
If you want the maximum output, take a look at Blizzard's Puck Fab5 Skywire. It features 6 - 15w five in one diodes giving you RGBAW color mixing, battery operation and wireless DMX.

http://www.blizzardlighting.com/media/k2/items/cache/e9ad9fee9d0bc73e0b2c055eb0b268ce_M.jpg

smcbride44
08-04-2013, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=BillESC;288440]If you want the maximum output, take a look at Blizzard's Puck Fab5 Skywire. It features 6 - 15w five in one diodes giving you RGBAW color mixing, battery operation and wireless DMX.

That is the perfect light, but very expensive. Do you use those and if so, any issues. They honestly sound too good to be true. Do you have any experience with the 5W Diodes? Are 5 diodes enough to satisfy for wedding and event alike doing uplighting and color washing ect...?

smcbride44
08-04-2013, 05:24 PM
I hear people taking about purchasing rechargeable and wireless lights from China. Who is the vendor and do you know of any glaring issues going that route?

Synaxis
08-05-2013, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=BillESC;288440]If you want the maximum output, take a look at Blizzard's Puck Fab5 Skywire. It features 6 - 15w five in one diodes giving you RGBAW color mixing, battery operation and wireless DMX.

That is the perfect light, but very expensive. Do you use those and if so, any issues. They honestly sound too good to be true. Do you have any experience with the 5W Diodes? Are 5 diodes enough to satisfy for wedding and event alike doing uplighting and color washing ect...?

The Skywire was just released, so it's not "out there" yet. However, I hear amazing things about the Fab5, the battery less version.

Also, wattage does not equate to brightness.

BillESC
08-05-2013, 02:16 PM
I hear people taking about purchasing rechargeable and wireless lights from China. Who is the vendor and do you know of any glaring issues going that route?

The glaring issue is no spare parts, no trained repair personnel and no warranty. Otherwise you're good to go.

lburners
08-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Yeah and aside from that and speaking from experience if you have damaged goods via shipping you are out of luck. One damaged unit suddenly turns your great deal into meh.

smcbride44
08-07-2013, 02:24 AM
I ended up purchasing the ADJ WiFly Par QA5 - Battery LED Par 5W Quad LEDs - American DJ. After doing my due diligence I learned that the Blizzard Puck Q5 Q6 battery did not last nearly as long as the ADJ Wifly PAR QA5. The tech told the Blizzard Puck Q5 Q6 last on average use about 4 hours, where the ADJ last a min of 6 hours on full use. That was all I needed to hear. I will let you guys know how I they turn out.

BillESC
08-07-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't know what "tech" you spoke to...

From the Puck Q6 Unplugged manual. "The Puck Q6 Unplugged™ features our proprietary intelion™ Lithium-
Ion internal battery system which allows the user to the flexibility to
operate their light fixture without AC power for up to 20 hours."

GaFFLe
08-07-2013, 09:51 AM
I don't know what "tech" you spoke to...

From the Puck Q6 Unplugged manual. "The Puck Q6 Unplugged™ features our proprietary intelion™ Lithium-
Ion internal battery system which allows the user to the flexibility to
operate their light fixture without AC power for up to 20 hours."
4 hours vs. 20 hours... that's a HUGE difference. I'd go with a 20-hour unit (provided Blizzard isn't blowing smoke on that number). If they're any where near 20 hours, that's much better than 6. After a while, those built-in batteries in your units will falter some and your 6 hours will turn into 5, then 4, then 3... to, "I've gotta keep them plugged into AC because the batteries no longer hold a charge."

DJzrule
08-07-2013, 10:17 AM
4 hours vs. 20 hours... that's a HUGE difference. I'd go with a 20-hour unit (provided Blizzard isn't blowing smoke on that number). If they're any where near 20 hours, that's much better than 6. After a while, those built-in batteries in your units will falter some and your 6 hours will turn into 5, then 4, then 3... to, "I've gotta keep them plugged into AC because the batteries no longer hold a charge."

It's realistic. The local DJ shop gave all of their employees battery powered uplights by Blizzard (QA5 and Puck RGBA's IIRC) for the duration of Hurricane Sandy on Long Island. They posted a mobile photo inside someone's house who lost power. :)

Synaxis
08-07-2013, 10:20 AM

You can always buy replacement batteries from a Blizzard dealer after a while.

It's realistic. The local DJ shop gave all of their employees battery powered uplights by Blizzard (QA5 and Puck RGBA's IIRC) for the duration of Hurricane Sandy on Long Island. They posted a mobile photo inside someone's house who lost power. :)

I saw that photo!! Which I had some battery powered lights during Sandy! Would have been of major use during the week without power.

DYM
08-09-2013, 08:54 PM
I would always buy Blizzard over ADJ

smcbride44
08-10-2013, 11:20 AM

The reason I purchased the ADJ lights is because there were 5, 5w diodes, vs 5 15w diodes. Both units have the same battery, do the math. That is 3 times as many watts your using. I spoke to a tech on the phone at Blizzard and that is what he told me. "expect four hours on full usage." Yeah sure, you can get 20 hours off any light if you are only using a single R, G , B or A and at a dimmer I guess. It's an arbitrary number to say up to 20 hours.

I did an event last night, ran my new ADJ QA5's for 6 hours and the battery life still had 60% charger remaining. The power of the light was plenty. I am very satisfied with my decision. Loved the wireless too. Mounted some Par's on a few pipes on ceiling using c-clamps that really added some creativity to lighting. No cords are the way to go. Set-up and removal so fast! Get em.

GaFFLe
08-10-2013, 04:23 PM
I'll take a deeper look into those ADJ lights.