PDA

View Full Version : Serato and CDJ question

AlanS
03-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Whenever I play out I always have the option of playing on 1200's. The club I'm playing at tonight only has cdj 2000s and I've never used them. Should I connect the cdj inputs into my sl2 and the outputs to the djm just like I do with 1200's? Thanks.

Era 7
03-03-2012, 02:46 PM
it works just the same as with TTs.

DJNR
03-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Whenever I play out I always have the option of playing on 1200's. The club I'm playing at tonight only has cdj 2000s and I've never used them. Should I connect the cdj inputs into my sl2 and the outputs to the djm just like I do with 1200's? Thanks.

You connect them the same way. You would connect your CDJs and use timecode CDs.

Moss
03-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Don't forget to change the inputs from phono to line inputs on your serato box. (The switch on your sl-2 device)

AlanS
03-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks. Also, should I connect the usb cable into the mixer? I saw a youtube video of a guy plugging in individual usb cables into the cdj's. Do I have to press any buttons on the cdj screen to read serato once it's connected?

Moss
03-03-2012, 02:53 PM
You could use the cdj 2000 in HID mode. But to be honest , it might be a better option to just use timecode for the night. If you're not use to it it's better not to mess around in case something happens.

DJNR
03-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks. Also, should I connect the usb cable into the mixer? I saw a youtube video of a guy plugging in individual usb cables into the cdj's. Do I have to press any buttons on the cdj screen to read serato once it's connected?

No. I believe the USB into the computer is for HID control, which you do not need. Setup the CDJs like you would your turntables at home, but the timecode CD in, and make sure that you have timecode CD selected in the serato options.

Also, timecode CDs often have multiple tracks on them. For example, track one might be for scrolling through your library (like the inner part of timecode vinyl) while track 2 is the actual timecode track. Be sure to check your Serato manual or something to find which track is which.

AlanS
03-03-2012, 03:14 PM
No. I believe the USB into the computer is for HID control, which you do not need. Setup the CDJs like you would your turntables at home, but the timecode CD in, and make sure that you have timecode CD selected in the serato options.

Also, timecode CDs often have multiple tracks on them. For example, track one might be for scrolling through your library (like the inner part of timecode vinyl) while track 2 is the actual timecode track. Be sure to check your Serato manual or something to find which track is which.

I always plug the usb into my laptop and sl2. You mean don't plug it into the cdj?

DJNR
03-03-2012, 03:41 PM
I always plug the usb into my laptop and sl2. You mean don't plug it into the cdj?

I misunderstood what you said. I think what the video you saw might have been the guy placing the Ethernet cables between the CDJs and the mixer for the DJ link, which you don't need. You should obviously plug the SL2 into your laptop :P