PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Top 40?

Inferno
03-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Hey guys

I want to be able to do a few more parties and clubs etc and would like to learn how to mix top 40. Currently I only play dubstep and electro.

My problem is I only have my radio edits of top40 to hand and find them very hard to mix with, the phrases seem less predictable and also since its top 40 there are a lot of mixed BPMs for different genres.

I am using Serato at the moment and would like to how how to make a good smooth mix between tracks etc since when i try it always falls apart fairly quickly and there arent any helpful vids on youtube from what I have found on my searches.

g6music
03-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I ran into this about a year or so ago, and what I decided to do was keep an eye on some top 40 remixes in my genres (prog house, electro house, dubstep, trance), and mix those in my set creatively. A lot of the time the remix is better than the original, and I've found that when the lyrics to "Judas" or "Party Rock Anthem" hit right before the drop, it makes people more excited.

There's a lot of different places you can find info on remixes, but I use freshnewtracks.com, Beatport (obviously), and ole fashioned Google. But most of the time you can find the mixes on Beatport. If you can't go straight to the source: find the artist page or their label's page and you can usually find links to buy or DL the track(s) from there. Also search for the original artist: sometimes they put out singles with remixes included for buy or DL somewhere (iTunes, Beatport, personal website, etc).

Hope this helps!!

danthedj
03-03-2012, 07:42 PM
check out djcity.com for remixes of top 40 songs.

Inferno
03-03-2012, 08:18 PM
check out djcity.com for remixes of top 40 songs.

seems good but dont really want to pay that much when im not earning from it.

In response to the previous post, i have a load of top40 remix's but a lot of people round where i play dont like electro drops and stuff, they just want the origional. otherwise it wouldnt be a problem as you said.

djkvg
03-04-2012, 04:38 AM
seems good but dont really want to pay that much when im not earning from it.

In response to the previous post, i have a load of top40 remix's but a lot of people round where i play dont like electro drops and stuff, they just want the origional. otherwise it wouldnt be a problem as you said.

a dj pool is cheap for the amt of music you are getting..... are u buying your music?

danthedj
03-04-2012, 10:15 AM
if they dont want remixes and such... simply play each song, throw a backspin and slam the fader to the next track. Thats really all you can do with top40 tracks that are almost impossible to mix.

djshawn
03-04-2012, 11:39 AM
"PrimeCuts" now has ez edits for top 40 mixing http://www.primecutsmusic.com/index.php/primecuts/ez-mix-edits.html

Inferno
03-04-2012, 02:32 PM
a dj pool is cheap for the amt of music you are getting..... are u buying your music?

as i say i normally play dubstep and it isnt on most record pools, beatport.

ampnation
03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
You might consider doing your own modified versions using something like Pro Tools. I'm a mobile DJ and don't do crazy scratching and stuff, but there is one song I did this to... Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-A-Lot. I did it partially because I didn't want that commentary by the chick at the beginning before the music starts and partially because there is NO lead in and the first line is crucial IMO so you can't just fade it in and miss or downplay that first beat. I picked up the isolated beat from an otherwise quiet spot in the song and reproduced it at the beginning to provide a lead allowing me to mix the track into a set more seamlessly.

Actually thinking about it, I think I used Audacity to do this.

Inferno
03-04-2012, 03:10 PM
You might consider doing your own modified versions using something like Pro Tools. I'm a mobile DJ and don't do crazy scratching and stuff, but there is one song I did this to... Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-A-Lot. I did it partially because I didn't want that commentary by the chick at the beginning before the music starts and partially because there is NO lead in and the first line is crucial IMO so you can't just fade it in and miss or downplay that first beat. I picked up the isolated beat from an otherwise quiet spot in the song and reproduced it at the beginning to provide a lead allowing me to mix the track into a set more seamlessly.

Actually thinking about it, I think I used Audacity to do this.

yea i could do that just i didnt want to have to sit and do it for every track every time i get one, might have to be that way though.

djkvg
03-04-2012, 11:30 PM
create your own intros on each track.... just grab the instrumental and throw 8 bars in front of it.

either that or subscribe to a record pool that does that for you. top40 isn't that hard if u know how to use your ears and mess with the pitch

Lost Connection
03-05-2012, 04:13 AM
Remixes from record pools, own intros or then use loops.

blackfoxbb
03-05-2012, 06:55 AM
piece of advise, learn other mixing techniques other than beatmatching ;)

DjBlanco
03-05-2012, 07:16 AM
thats not true at all xD they just think they dont want remixes (95% of the time you drop them and they like them better then the original as long as they can still sing along) but ya if u need to do top40 do it with style i very rarely play the originals out Ie.

VV taken from my radio show starts off as dubstep then commercial electro/house
http://soundcloud.com/djblanconyc/suds-up-sunday-mixshow

short promo mix VV
http://soundcloud.com/djblanconyc/i-love-house-20-min-mix

live from one of the clubs i dj at

http://soundcloud.com/djblanconyc/live-mix-10_11-part2

Austin GoGreen
03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
A. Edit Intro's yourself (FL Studio, Ableton, Garageband, Audacity, etc.)
B. Join a record pool. DL intro's and remixes. Play accordingly to your crowd. Most won't want electro remixes all night but dropping them here and there for your own pleasure won't hurt.
C. Learn to use hot cues, loops and/or find other creative ways of mixing. This will require more time than the above A and B because you will need to learn each song and get familiar with mixing it.

I prefer a combo of A and B. I dl intro's for everything. I make quick hitters and other edits. Mix 32 in/out at the chorus. If you can mix electro and dubstep, Top40 will be the easiest genre you've ever played.

This is really it. Or just buy VDJ and put it on auto-play ;) 99% of all Top40 audiences could care less.

Drevo
03-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Word play. Word Play. Word Play. That and make 8 bar intros and start the next song at the beginning of the chorus on song playing. EQ out the bass and then slam fader after 8 bars

blackfoxbb
03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
-know the track. sometimes the mix point is not at the intro/outro.
-get ready to mix at drops / build-ups
-loops, loops, loops.
-cues, cues, cues.

kickassDJ25
03-05-2012, 06:17 PM
when u guys say use cues and loops, how would u use them?

Also, I've been trying to mix the next song at the beginning at the chorus of the first song but it aint working right, help?

Andrew1207
03-06-2012, 08:42 AM
If song B starts with a chorus set a cue at the beginning of the phrase and use that as your "intro" for beatmatching, then drop the song in from the end of chorus on song A to beginning of verse on track B

blackfoxbb
03-06-2012, 08:50 AM
when u guys say use cues and loops, how would u use them?

Also, I've been trying to mix the next song at the beginning at the chorus of the first song but it aint working right, help?

about cue
sometimes is better to wait the first chorus pass and mix at the next instrumental part, which is longer.
or u can mix the build-up of out track with build-up of in track.
or bring the in track build-up right after out track drop.

about loop.
if u have a short instrumental sequence to mix, loop it, so it will give u time. i will sound better if you release the loop right after the start of a new phrase.

bmorr
03-06-2012, 09:08 AM
When you play top 40, try and find some newer and older top 40 songs that are around the same BPM. Maybe their hip-hop, etc. Start off by briefly mixing one type of bpm with top 40 and then throw in a backspin or sample to switch up into House top 40, or another style of top 40. The key to top 40 is playing songs that ppl know (they don't necessarily have to be new), and that they can dance to. The worst thing you can do is go from a hip-hop top 40 song to a 128bpm top 40 song. You have to have some pace.

For an example of what i'm talking about, check out my recent top 40 mix I just did:

http://soundcloud.com/bmo/top-40-demo-mix

Austin GoGreen
03-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Top 40 is easy as pie. Most chorus's are 64 beats when you're talking about songs that are 125-132BPM.

Flo Rida - Good Feelin' (NASA Edit) (32 beat intro)
Nicki Minaj and David Guetta - Turn Me On (32 beat intro)

Set a cue point at the very first down beat of your intro. You may also want to set a 16 beat loop point at the beginning. If you set 32 beat loop it may be too long and you'll get parts of the buildup or a word or two at the end of the loop. Try to avoid that. I like using 16 beat intro loops.

Play out song A until the chorus drops. At the downbeat of the chorus 1, 2, or 3. Drop in your new song. Either loop the first 16 beats or use your 1st cue point to keep it phased properly. You can let the chorus play out and mix the whole 64 beats. If you phase it properly, when the chorus ends on Song A, scratch, use effects, EQ, or fade out. Viola, you're now into Song B.

Basically if a chorus is 64 beats and your intro is 32 you want mix it properlly by dropping the intro on the second half of the chorus. You can either count out in your head to 32 or just learn the track.

If you want to get more technical, add a hot cue to the outro of a song as well. Use the outro to blend with the song you're playing during a breakdown by using loops or cue points. Loops are easier but cues work fine to. That way there is a steady beat.

Every edit/song is different. Learn your songs just as you would with any genre.

kickassDJ25
03-06-2012, 05:26 PM
at which point would u mix out of this track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9XOekBcjU

to this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OnnDqH6Wj8&ob=av2e

DJ ATX
03-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Top40 is fucking easy to mix its not even funny.

If there is no intro:
1) make your own by looping an instrumental portion of the song, then after you fade that in, load the song on the other deck and fade that in
2) find the crescendo of the outgoing song and fader slam the incoming song. Still make sure it is beat matched cause it will sound weird if you don't

Phrasing:
When using short mixes, as in you fade in a song and no one is really digging it. I fade in the new song at the beginning of the first chorus and fade it out at the end of the chorus. If you can phrase it to where the chorus ends and the incoming song begins. This can only be done smoothly if you know the songs well.

***Counting bars is the key to mixing top 40***
***Knowing where the songs breaks and drops is another key to mixing Top40*** (for this you actually need to listen to the songs more than once. not hard to do, they play them on the damn radio 3-4 times an hour. LOL)
***Knowing to mix in key also helps***
***Filter effect is your friend***

Mrspyaman
03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Start next song @ 2 min mark count 8 bars cold cut out @ ~2:20 mark or the end of first chorus to exit sooner

at which point would u mix out of this track

to this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OnnDqH6Wj8&ob=av2e

fat8ack
03-07-2012, 12:03 PM
as i say i normally play dubstep and it isnt on most record pools, beatport.

No dubstep on beatport? Um, maybe look a little harder mate, there is a ton of dub on beatport. Seriously? Moombahton is hard to find and BP has hardly any, but dubstep, there is plenty.

Austin GoGreen
03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
For International Love I would scratch or drop in my loop at 1:15. I would let the mix ride through the following verse (which I feel loses energy right after the chorus at like 1:30). Hopefully your mixing with an intro of the next song, for example We Found Love by Rihanna. Release the loop at 2:00 which is the beginning of the next chorus of International Love. Fade, Cut, or Scratch out at the 32 beat.

Learn 32 in/out with intros. Download everything with an intro and your problems will go away.

Also, learn what a chorus or hook is in a song. They are easy to identify, this is where you want to start your mix.

kickassDJ25
03-07-2012, 04:29 PM
this is head wrecking, I'm just not getting it! Can someone please do a you tube video and mix a few top 40 tracks? please:-)

AlanS
03-07-2012, 10:27 PM
this is head wrecking, I'm just not getting it! Can someone please do a you tube video and mix a few top 40 tracks? please:-)

http://www.mediafire.com/?e5vj1cvtv7gsrvb

First songs chorus is 16 bars. Second songs intro is 8 bars. Count the bars and beats on the first song like this "1, 2, 3, 4, 2, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 3, 4, etc." When you get to the 9th bar, drop the second song in and work with your eq's.

AlanS
03-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Does anyone know where I can embed the audio?

Austin GoGreen
03-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Are you trying to spin the original radio versions of these tracks?

djdecibel
03-14-2012, 05:49 PM
You have 4 options:

1) Pay for a DJ Pool (I use DJCITY) and get Intros and Extended versions
2) Pay for Funkymix/Ultimix/BlackLineMix etc.
3) Use an echo out (what I do a lot)
4) PLay the whole track

Finnish_Fox
03-14-2012, 06:59 PM
if they dont want remixes and such... simply play each song, throw a backspin and slam the fader to the next track. Thats really all you can do with top40 tracks that are almost impossible to mix.

Hmmmm.

djfarcyde
03-29-2012, 12:40 PM
People make top 40 mixing sound so boring and contrived. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. I use more than just basic chorus-verse-chorus-verse mixing. Being able to cut and scratch well helps. Knowing which songs blend well helps also. Wordplay is important. Check out my quick mix for some ideas. I'll post up a track list in a bit.

http://soundcloud.com/farcydedj/el-tour-demo

Funkyfader
03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Extended mixes...

mynmisoli
04-02-2012, 04:06 PM
I have had this same problem with radio edits. however a tip I got a while ago is to learn how to mix with radio edits by scratching and cutting them in because it makes mixing easier once you find out how to do it. When done right it sounds good even if the bpms from one song to another isn't the same. listen to Jazzy jeff mix hip hop, he cuts in tracks extremely well.

Mrspyaman
04-02-2012, 04:29 PM
This thread reminds me how much has changed. When I was learning you used break beats or the instrumental on your other copy if you needed it but things have changed.