PDA

View Full Version : Technics 1200 platter question/issue..

zuuwk
07-30-2013, 04:28 AM
Hey guys, 1st post here.. I just purchased a beat up 1200 mk2 and it looks like there is a round plastic piece thats glued in underneath the platter, and this plastic piece is partially melted it seems like someone placed a solder iron on it.. So when I put the platter on it wobbles bad, so i must replace this piece, i'm hoping its doable without buying a new platter. So here is my issue, i'm trying to locate this round plastic piece online and I can't find it anywhere, or the name/part number.. I've also seen a lot of people powder coat the platter and they must remove this plastic piece in order to do so. I would like to powered coat the platter while the plastic piece is removed and I would really appreciate some feed back on removing and replacing this plastic part... Thanks for the help in advance, I can upload some pics if its needed...

Estacy
07-30-2013, 07:31 AM
I think you're describing the magnet, which is not plastic.

Nicadraus
07-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Can you post a picture so we can identify what you're trying to describe? The SL1200 platter doesn't have any plastic part at all. It's made of aluminum, rubber, and a magnet encased with steel on it.

zuuwk
07-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the quick reply guys.. Here is a picture.. After close look it just looks like its warped not burned... It's between the magnet in the center...

Nicadraus
07-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the quick reply guys.. Here is a picture.. After close look it just looks like its warped not burned... It's between the magnet in the center...

You can fix that by aligning it with a long-nosed pliers. But even if it's dented, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If your platter wobbles, then check all three screws that hold the spindle assembly. Make sure that they are tight.

zuuwk
07-30-2013, 10:46 PM
You can fix that by aligning it with a long-nosed pliers. But even if it's dented, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If your platter wobbles, then check all three screws that hold the spindle assembly. Make sure that they are tight.

I see, thank you very much for the tips.. I will try to do what you suggested one the deck pictured above.. Just took a look at the other deck and the ring is very much in bad shape, it was so bad that I had to take the ring out to straighten it out and the thinner part on one of the cut outs was broken.. Any suggestion on how to go about it fixing that.. I put it back in but its not as tight of a fit it once was since the broken piece.. Do you know if i'm able to get the ring online or Panasonic? Or you think gluing it would do the job?

Thanks a bunch for the help, you're thread is off the hook, you do such a pro job.. major props!