PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJ Difficult vs Dougmore vs Skasja - Deep House Battle

JonAvalon
07-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Mix 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/djdifficult-vs-dougmore-vs-skasja-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/djdifficult-vs-dougmore-vs-skasja-2.mp3)

Mix 3 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/djdifficult-vs-dougmore-vs-skasja-3.mp3)

Rules:

Deep House
Last mix in before 30min mark
Use whatever you want but no sync

DJ Difficult
07-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Anyone want rep:shrug:

alazydj
07-31-2013, 02:18 PM
YEAH

<-----------------------

Look at all the rep you can get

Skasja
07-31-2013, 06:35 PM
We should have done a trap mixtape! :freak:

xs2man
08-01-2013, 04:52 AM
Ha ha ha. Listening now. Will edit with opinions...

EDIT:

Mix 1: Excellent track selection. Beatmatching tightened up as the mix progressed. But nicely timed blends, and great track progression. Loved the tracks. Great flow, vibe, the lot. Going to a party this weekend, and would really appreciate a tracklisting so I can play some of them at it...

Mix 2: Not my definition of Deep House if I'm honest. More House / Party House for my taste. Mixing was more short-medium cuts, than long blends, but nice enough done none the less. Just not my thing. Too jumpy and party-ish for a deep house set to me. Although there were still a couple quality tracks. Just not my scene though.

Mix 3: Ooooh. I like that intro. Bit different with the e-bird voice-over. Nice touch. Loving the track selection again. Well programmed, peaks and troughs in all the right places. Beatmatching to me felt a tiny bit tighter than mix 1, but VERY little in it. A few more uses of effects noticed. Well executed for the most part. Nice spinback @ 23 mins. A bit of a lighter vibe that mix 1 in my opinion. Again, a sound I love. Again, would love a tracklisting on this.

This one was pretty difficult for me. There was actually nothing hugely wrong with mix 2, so was it my musical snobbery that put me off it? I guess so. So that left it between mixes 1 & 3. Technically both very similar to my ears, with mix 3 being perhaps a little bit tighter (but I'm no pro). I did like the voice-over on mix 3. But there was just something about mix 1 that had me a proper chair bounce that mix 3 didn't quite manage. I suspect this was merely the result of my mood at the time of listening, as ordinarily I would have had a good chair bounce to both.

I'm gonna have to go for mix 1. Decided on track selection, not technical ability (although there was spades of that present also).

Great battle guys. Could mixes 1 & 3 PLEASE (pretty please) send me a tracklisting via PM (so as not to give the game away). I have already voted, so it is pretty irrelevant now if I know who did what mix. Wish I'd had manned up and entered the battle now. Still, I always seem to be taking part in battles like this, and never judging them.

DJ Difficult
08-01-2013, 05:33 AM
We should have done a trap mixtape! :freak:

No way! I hate trap :puke:

Skasja
08-01-2013, 06:54 AM
No way! I hate trap :puke:

Where's the /sarc emoticon?

DJ Difficult
08-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Looking for this http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/da/50x38px-LL-dadf10ff_sarcasm.gif

xs2man
08-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Voted.

DJ Difficult and DougMore, I need to spread more rep first, sorry. Will get you later I guess.

Skasja, battle rep given :tup:

DJ Difficult
08-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks for voting! I would give you rep but.. just wondering how much I have to spread it before I can rep you again.

oddnumber
08-01-2013, 08:36 PM
ALERT to Submission moderator: you did not delete the original file names. I can tell whose mix is whose!!!

mix 1: first transition you let the track almost run out , some nice track here...especially love the "not my time" but the overall progression was lacking

mix 2: some rushed transitions but the track selection and the vibe was spot on

mix 3: ok mixing but not my idea of deep house especially toward the end

Good job everyone but my vote goes to mix 2

oddnumber
08-01-2013, 08:43 PM
correction: the name of the file was corrected but the tag is not. So if you open them in lets say winamp you can tell who is who

AbstractQuality
08-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Voted for mix 1. Felt like it had the best tracks...most tuned to what I consider to be deep house (but although none of the mixes were really what I expected)

The mixing was pretty solid with all the mixes, a few mistakes but nothing terrible.

DJ Difficult
08-02-2013, 12:05 AM
All new voters repped! Thanks!

alazydj
08-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Bump bump bump

deep deep deep

vote vote vote

house house house

Rad
08-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Ok, good battle, here's what I thought while listening:

Mix 1: liked the start, first mix was a bit off, and the incoming track around 5:00 was a bit too loud. Both the mixing and the music were better towards the end of the mix.
Really liked the Vibe / Groove of this mix.

Mix 2: mixing slightly better than mix one, more transitions, choice of the tracks was a bit odd I think.
I liked most of the individual tracks, I just think they do not work very well together in a mix. Especially the mix from "What I might do" into the next track was strange.

Mix 3: Nice start, good mixing, but kinda lost me with the change of style halfway through. I think a half hour mix is too short for that.

Could you all please post tracklists when the voting is over ?
there's one or two tracks in every mix that I would like to know !

Voting for mix number one (was very close to voting for number 3)

P.s. Also noticed that two of three entries had identifying ID3 tags in the mixes.
Please make sure you don't next time.

DJ Difficult
08-06-2013, 02:24 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rad again.
FUCK! This happened again! Don't know how much I have to spread it. Mods :shrug:
But thanks for voting :) I will post my tracklist to you.

markw82
08-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Mix 3 I liked the intro and style
More my cup of tea

M!TCH
08-07-2013, 07:07 PM
DAMN. I wanted to give you guys some feedback, but I have a big exam on Saturday and can't do any critical listening until Sunday. I'll have a listen and give feedback after it closes but my vote will not count in the poll.

Skasja
08-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks to those of you who voted!

As requested, this is the trackist for Mix 2

Let Me Down Easy - Rare Pleasure
Needin U (Original Mix V2) - The Face vs. Mark Brown & Adam Shaw
It's Yours (Joey Negro Remix) - Jon Cutler ft. E-Man
C O O L (Ben Pearce Remix) - Le Youth
Out Of Time (Original Mix) - Moodtrap
I Remember (Original Mix) - Loverdose
My House (Original Mix) - Purple Disco Machine
Snoop Sings (Original Mix) - Alok & Icy Sasaki
Strobelite Honey (Def Mix) - Black Sheep
What I Might Do (Club Edit) - Ben Pearce
Everybody Get Up (Jazz-N-Groove Dub) - Capriccio
Imprint Of Pleasure (Original Mix) - Tube & Berger
Do You Like Bass (Original Mix) - Tom Flynn
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (Plastic Music Remix) - Roger Sanchez ft. Soul Rebels
Golden Sun (Haji & Emmanuel Remix) - Asle
Believe (Ministers Vocal Mix) - Ministers De-La-Funk ft. Jocelyn Brown

DJ Difficult
08-12-2013, 03:24 AM
Poll is closed so I can tell you that I was #1. Thanks for fellow competitors and all voters!
Here is my tracklist for this battle:
1. Shimmer - To Be As One
2. Felipe l - That's U Want (Moti Brothers Remix)*
3. Claptone - Good To You
4. Dashdot - Wasting My Time (Orginal Mix)
5. Jay Tripwire, Grant Dell - When You Move (Main Mix)
6. Hot Since 82, Habischman - Leave Me (Orginal Mix)

That Shimmer track is free and you can download it from he's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/shimmermusicofficial?fref=ts

ben mills
08-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Sorry I missed this.

I've been out of the battle mode and forum for a long time now - probably six or eight months. Look to get back in it in the next few weeks, though.

M!TCH
08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
:argh: sorry I didn't get to it on Sunday. I was hungover from :lush: Will listen today and give feedback even though this is over!

DJ Difficult
08-15-2013, 12:24 PM
No worries mate, thanks.
Doug. How did you make that "deep house battle" sample? I'm not very good at creating anything with computer but that something that I like to learn.

M!TCH
08-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Mix 1: going from listening to psy-trance to deep house is quite the switch for me. Starts off nice and easy. First mix has some gain issues. Second mix was cleaner. More gain issues around 21 minute mix. Really enjoyed this mix and I think it was well structured.

Mix 2: I can tell from the get go that this isn't deep house, appears to be straight up house. First mix had a noticeable drop in volume. Did I just hear a snippet of Sting?!? More levels issues in between the mixes. The mixing was tight but you really need to focus on your gain. I kept having to turn my headphones up and down. Quick mixing though and it never got boring which I appreciate.

Mix 3: You my friend, are a genius. I've been thinking about doing a drop over any battle mixes as I know it is an easy way for people to grab my mix as their own. Love the intro. Whoa, I missed the first mix when I walked out and heard Praise You so had to rewind. That mix worked well.

Mix 1 was really the deep house I was expecting in this battle with the other two being more of a straight house mix. But, I have to go with mix 3 as I think it was the most well done creativity wise and I enjoyed it the most. If I was going solely based on the mix genre then it would have to be mix 1.

I find it interesting that you didn't comment on genres in this battle oddnumber.

alazydj
08-15-2013, 06:10 PM
6 Degrees feat. Fiora (Tale Of Us Remix) -Audiofly
Praise You (Maribou State Remix) -Fatboy Slim
Need you (Don't Go) -Sage
C O O L (Ben Pearce Remix) -Le Youth
Stronger With You (Waze & Odyssey Street Tracks Mix) -Citizen
Yes (Deeper Soul Mix) -Sp00nfed

Thanks for the kind words M!TCH, and thanks to everyone else for voting!

This is the little ID I made with a text to speech app.

http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/2047416/file.html