PDA

View Full Version : Aware me on the correct process of setting channel gains.

BDM107
07-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Never actually seen a proper tutorial for this. Aware me on the correct process of setting gains throughout a set.

Current method
-After loading a song I go to the loudest part of the song and adjust the gain to where the track is hitting 0db

Been recording some of my mixes and some transitions don't sound right because the intro may be significantly quieter than the main part of the song. Should I be adjusting the gain a few times thorough the duration of a single track.

Phr0
07-27-2013, 04:57 AM
If it sounds too low.... turn it up. Seems like no two records have exactly the same volume. You can set your trims and gains to the same settings and have completely different levels due to what you are playing. If what you are going for is exact levels throughout the whole mix, yes you will have to keep on top of it and set the volume accordingly. From a recording standpoint, it is way easier to get it right while recording it, than to backtrack and adjust. My 2 cents, speaking from 14 years of experience playing and recording, not a text book. ~

Synergy
07-27-2013, 07:58 AM
You are doing it right BDM107, that is the correct way. If the intro sounds too low, dont use the intro, skip to the beat. This is why normalizing can be a good thing, it will bring those lows up and some of the highs down.....if that is what you want. Nothing will ever be 100% exact, just saying.

Post up an example of what you are talking about and maybe we can tell you if this is normal or not.

BDM107
07-27-2013, 03:05 PM
I'll try to upload something. Best way to explain it is bringing in a intro that is primarily vocals or a weak sounding intro.

Sigma
07-27-2013, 03:39 PM
The way you're initially setting the gains is correct, but don't treat that as a set in stone "that's the way it's done and that's all you're supposed to do" thing, because you have to use your ears as well. There's nothing wrong with cranking the gain up a bit during a quiet intro if you feel it's necessary.

BDM107
07-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the advice

DJ Matt
07-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Never actually seen a proper tutorial for this. Aware me on the correct process of setting gains throughout a set.

Current method
-After loading a song I go to the loudest part of the song and adjust the gain to where the track is hitting 0db

Been recording some of my mixes and some transitions don't sound right because the intro may be significantly quieter than the main part of the song. Should I be adjusting the gain a few times thorough the duration of a single track.

i would say, the average should be at 0, but normally there is some headroom for the peaks to go above 0 without distorting , as long as they dont run into the "red"
also the readout on the mixer can sometimes be decieving. sometimes due to the frequency range of a song, it may sound a little louder or quieter than is actually reflected in the meter.

Ryan Ruel
08-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Also, if you are using software like Traktor, make sure in the preferences that auto-gain is disabled.

Fultron
08-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Heres a video tutorial that might help you a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBW_pKHoFHg

DjAaron
08-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Your doing it like I do to. I am usually making slight adjustments through out the song also. If the into to the song is way to low turn it up a little and when the beat hits drop it back down where you had it. Thats what I sometimes do also