PDA

View Full Version : First Month DJ'ing Old Skool?

Jakamole
07-24-2013, 07:43 AM
So i've been DJ'ing at a local bar in my town for a month now and I've realized that i need to know more genre's than i initially thought there was.

So basically, there's this same woman who comes up to me just as i'm starting for the night and asks for me to play some 'Old School (Skool)?'

So i said, "Old School what?" and she replied with "You know, old school 90's stuff". Not knowing what she meant, i tried to clamber for anything labeled '90's' on the hard drive that's collected songs over the years, although this is pretty un-professional, i'd play a couple of tracks and see how she and everyone else reacted. It was sadly a no go when the Acid squelch started to beam out of the speakers. So she'd come up again and ask for artists like 'Faithless' and 'Tim Berg' and a few more which i couldn't quite make out.

Being born midway through the 90's, i have no idea what she means or what it is i'm supposed to be looking out for. Although i could just find every artist similar to Faithless and Tim Berg, i wouldn't know quite where to start in looking for the popular tracks all this audience would like and could unkowingly end up playing the one 16 min long instrumental track no one really liked.

So any help on artists names and/ or songs, or maybe even a bracket of years to research eg(1998 - 2003) would be much appreciated! :)

Just a side note. This is my first time posting a thread so my apologies if this is in the wrong group/ sub group for this particular question.

Synergy
07-24-2013, 09:10 AM
oldskool 90's id play some breakbeat hardcore lol. urban shakedown, phantasy, mix factory, old moving shadow stuff, reinforced records stuff, ffrr, etc.

RDRCK
07-24-2013, 01:25 PM
2 Bad Mice & Shut Up and Dance :)

Andrew B
07-24-2013, 01:49 PM
So not Old Skool, which would be rave tracks, but 90s popular dance tracks like Insomnia from Faithless? Are you sure she said Tim Berg? Isn't that Avicii?

alazydj
07-24-2013, 01:55 PM
She wants dat Tupac and Biggie

Andrew B
07-24-2013, 02:17 PM
She wants dat Tupac and Biggie

Sure doesn't seem like it

alazydj
07-24-2013, 02:22 PM
:orly:

If she searched her feelings, she would know it to be true!

Jamie D Music
07-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Insomina was a good 90's club track but it's about as oposite to the real meaning of oldskool as you can get. If she really meant oldskool rave instead of oldskool clubbing I would have wanted her phone number :D

Mahatma Coat
07-24-2013, 03:05 PM
If someone asked for Old School alone, then I'd assume they wanted to hear early 90s British rave tracks.

Old school could be old school anything I guess, but still I don't think anyone would really refer to Faithless as old school and certainly not Avicii.

My bet is she didn't have fucking clue what she was talking about.

RW4YfSxBeAw

Jamie D Music
07-24-2013, 03:28 PM

:D That was what I deduced as well.

To be fair though Insomnia was hardcore in a clubbing sense. I can remember many times dancing to it and hearing the line "tearing off tights with my teeth" and thinking GOOD IDEA. Minutes later me and the missus are getting our coats without saying bye to anyone.....

Andrew B
07-24-2013, 03:38 PM

That's rather apparent. ;)

disparate
08-14-2013, 07:22 AM
To me if a random punter in a club asked for "old skool" I'd assume they meant poppy 90s dance stuff like 2unlimited, either that or 90s piano house or early rave/hardcore.