PDA

View Full Version : Mixing with IEMs

Connor
03-02-2012, 04:22 PM
I've tried mixing with IEMs and it's just not very natural to me. My mixer doesn't have split cue so I can't have the master in one ear and the cue in the other, my friend's mixer does and on either mixer it's just strange. I don't know how to explain it, it just feels very uncomfortable. Does anyone here mix with IEMs or have any tips on doing so?

DJNR
03-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I mix with IEMs whenever I play on a big system because they provide awesome isolation, and I don't need to crank them all the way up to hear them. I don't normally split cue when I use normal headphones or the IEMs so it doesn't really feel weird to me. I think the best thing you can do is just spend more time using them so it starts to feel normal/natural.

Connor
03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I mix with IEMs whenever I play on a big system because they provide awesome isolation, and I don't need to crank them all the way up to hear them. I don't normally split cue when I use normal headphones or the IEMs so it doesn't really feel weird to me. I think the best thing you can do is just spend more time using them so it starts to feel normal/natural.

You don't split cue with your IEMs? So when you beatmatch you're hearing the master and your cue in the same ear?

DJNR
03-02-2012, 04:33 PM
You don't split cue with your IEMs? So when you beatmatch you're hearing the master and your cue in the same ear?

Yeah. Instead of split cueing I just turn the master volume down and turn the cue volume up.

Connor
03-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah. Instead of split cueing I just turn the master volume down and turn the cue volume up.

http://www.stantondj.com/pics/products/mixers/lg-mixers/m203-front-lg.jpg

That's my mixer, to mix with IEMs I have to put the cue slider in the middle, if not a bit to the left or right, I don't think I can turn the master down in my headphones, or am I completely misunderstanding what you said?

Andrew B
03-02-2012, 04:39 PM
I can't do it. I only ever use headphones on one ear, and that's just to cue. When I bring a new track in, I only use the monitors.

DJNR
03-02-2012, 04:40 PM
http://www.stantondj.com/pics/products/mixers/lg-mixers/m203-front-lg.jpg

That's my mixer, to mix with IEMs I have to put the cue slider in the middle, if not a bit to the left or right, I don't think I can turn the master down in my headphones, or am I completely misunderstanding what you said?

Err. maybe. I don't know this mixer as I use a DJM 900.

Let me see if I can explain this better:
If you could, the switch that is labeled cue/master could be put in the middle so that when you have it to the left, you would only hear sound from cued channels, while on the right you would only be able to hear master. That being said, if you had it a little more to the left (towards cue) and farther from right (master) the cued tracks volume would be louder than the master.

Did that make more sense?

Connor
03-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Err. maybe. I don't know this mixer as I use a DJM 900.

Let me see if I can explain this better:
If you could, the switch that is labeled cue/master could be put in the middle so that when you have it to the left, you would only hear sound from cued channels, while on the right you would only be able to hear master. That being said, if you had it a little more to the left (towards cue) and farther from right (master) the cued tracks volume would be louder than the master.

Did that make more sense?

The same thing happens when using the CH-1/CH-2 slider to pick which deck I want as my cue, having both tracks playing in both ears at the same time just seems a bit strange to me, my thinking is it may not let me accurately EQ the tracks, or maybe I'm just overthinking this.

DJNR
03-02-2012, 04:47 PM
The same thing happens when using the CH-1/CH-2 slider to pick which deck I want as my cue, having both tracks playing in both ears at the same time just seems a bit strange to me, my thinking is it may not let me accurately EQ the tracks, or maybe I'm just overthinking this.

Hrm, maybe. I have always mixed with headphones because I don't actually own a pair of IEMs. That being said, I might just be used to it.

mostapha
03-02-2012, 05:39 PM
I do. Love it. Less hearing damage, and you don't have to care how crappy the monitors are.

I use the cue/master blend control…a bit towards the cue side when beatmatching, almost all master when first bringing it in (to hear drifts earlier) to all-master when the track is basically in.

I actually downgraded my mixer (from a xone:62 to a VMC-004xl) to be able to do it.

On that Stanton, I'd beat match with the selector on Cue and the cue fader about 75% of the way over, towards the track I'm cueing…when I bring it in, flip it back the other way until the new track volume is about at 50%, then flip the switch to monitoring the master.

Connor
03-03-2012, 12:00 AM
I do. Love it. Less hearing damage, and you don't have to care how crappy the monitors are.

I use the cue/master blend control…a bit towards the cue side when beatmatching, almost all master when first bringing it in (to hear drifts earlier) to all-master when the track is basically in.

I actually downgraded my mixer (from a xone:62 to a VMC-004xl) to be able to do it.

On that Stanton, I'd beat match with the selector on Cue and the cue fader about 75% of the way over, towards the track I'm cueing…when I bring it in, flip it back the other way until the new track volume is about at 50%, then flip the switch to monitoring the master.

I get exactly what you mean now, going to try this tonight, thanks.

djfarcyde
03-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Anyone ever try split cuing? Right eat is monitor, left is cue. My dn x1600 has it but it's a but headache inducing in my sennheisser hd 25s

DJNR
03-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Anyone ever try split cuing? Right eat is monitor, left is cue. My dn x1600 has it but it's a but headache inducing in my sennheisser hd 25s

I have. Whenever I cue a track, the volume jumps pretty significantly so I just stopped doing it. I didn't like it also because it made my ears feel imbalanced in their abuse. :lol:
I still have to try split cuing with my DJM-900 though.

Connor
03-04-2012, 09:27 PM
I have. Whenever I cue a track, the volume jumps pretty significantly so I just stopped doing it. I didn't like it also because it made my ears feel imbalanced in their abuse. :lol:
I still have to try split cuing with my DJM-900 though.

Tried it last night, the volume jumping made me very uncomfortable. Do people use split cue often when mixing with IEMs?

DJNR
03-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Tried it last night, the volume jumping made me very uncomfortable. Do people use split cue often when mixing with IEMs?

I think it doesn't really pertain to whether you use IEMs or overheads.

dj daywalker
03-06-2012, 01:15 AM
It feels weird because the frequencies you are hearing are so different then the actual system. IEMs lack in bass ect. I tried them out but have resorted to using earplugs instead

DJNR
03-06-2012, 02:15 AM
It feels weird because the frequencies you are hearing are so different then the actual system. IEMs lack in bass ect. I tried them out but have resorted to using earplugs instead

Just curious, which model are you using?

mostapha
03-06-2012, 10:25 AM

That can happen. You have to run the cue section right. You basically need a cue/master blend control, and you can't cue more than 1 channel at a time any other way…otherwise, the volume can jump ridiculously and it's more dangerous than just using headphones.

Within those restrictions, I still like it better.

That shouldn't be a problem, though. Do the sound check and be able to translate your IEMs to a generic, idealized club system…and just look for problems during your sound check to be aware of. But at any rate, DJ mixers don't offer enough control to really tune a room anyway…so, you're basically just playing your set and remembering things like "the subs are already working harder than they should…never turn up bass EQs," which only take a few seconds to realize.

Earplugs are cool, but I got sick of bumping them with my headphones. I'd consider getting customs and spinning with those, but I think I'm done with anything cheaper.

dj daywalker
03-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Just curious, which model are you using?

Westone UM3