PDA

View Full Version : Bridge experiences…

mostapha
03-02-2012, 03:06 PM
So…anyone have any big experience stories to share with Bridge?

I've got the pieces installed…haven't gotten around to actually playing with it just yet.

I'm kinda wondering if anyone has any stories about how it works in practice. The limiting factor is that I'm using an SL1. According to the website, it you lock it to a deck, it'll just keep up with it (I'm assuming using a combination of calculated BPM and transient detection) and route Live's output to the same deck. How does that work with leveling? Seems like it'd be really easy to clip the DAC (sound cards outs) unless you're running your SSL gains really cold.

But, if it works…I think this could end up a lot of fun. I spent like 6 hours yeasterday making Maschine Groups of MIDI Out devices for 9 different scales in every key (because I suck at keboards)…and it seems like it'd be a lot of fun to have access to a drum step sequencer and be able to jam synth parts along with what's playing.

FaderCrusader
03-03-2012, 02:50 PM
I mess with it using an SL-1 as well, it works fine. It syncs with tracks in Scratch Live using the beat grids which SL is good with as far as tracks that are quantized, and imo it's easy enough to adjust them for stuff that's not. You can route Live's audio to deck B while syncing with a track that's playing on deck A, so you don't have to worry about clipping. I've also routed the audio from both programs to the same deck while staying well in the yellow, so overall I don't think clipping is really a concern.

mostapha
03-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Cool…I need to get around to trying it.

But if it turns out I need to do anything to set beat grids, I'm not fucking doing it. I'll buy a 3rd turntable or just give up entirely before I ever set another god damn beat grid.

DJNR
03-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Cool…I need to get around to trying it.

But if it turns out I need to do anything to set beat grids, I'm not fucking doing it. I'll buy a 3rd turntable or just give up entirely before I ever set another god damn beat grid.

Sick of Traktor are we? :lol:

mostapha
03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
I sold my Traktor Pro rig and my VCM earlier this year. Ended up switching to SSL with Technics and a Vestax for about $100 out of pocket, despite getting lousy prices for a lot of my stuff.

Beat Grids and Sync are perfectly valid, and I have no moral/ethical/artistic objection to using a sync button…but I'm not willing to do it. Beat matching with vinyl is easier and more fun.

BTW, Bridge requires beat grids and the first track I tried was not a usable auto-grid, so I ditched it and uninstalled Ableton. I'm back to traditional 2-deck DJing until I can afford a 3rd turntable or a hardware groove box that isn't a huge PITA to beat match manually…probably the latter.