PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting cgvince vs Zander James vs DJ Armani vs M!tch - Beginners Battle

JonAvalon
07-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Mix 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/cgvince-vs-zander-vs-Armani-vs-Mitch-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/cgvince-vs-zander-vs-Armani-vs-Mitch-2.mp3)

Mix 3 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/cgvince-vs-zander-vs-Armani-vs-Mitch-3.mp3)

Mix 4 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/cgvince-vs-zander-vs-Armani-vs-Mitch-4.mp3)

Rules:
Genre - Commercial House/Festival Style Set - Looking for a standard main stage set with your own personal twist of course.
Length - Maximum Last mix in at 25 Minutes
People - 4 People Maximum
Equipment - Any MIDI mixer and either Serato,Traktor or VDJ

DJArmani
07-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Anyone wanna vote?

cgvince
07-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Come on Guys !

DJArmani
07-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Not a single person? They are only 25 min. long, some less.

Zander James
07-24-2013, 12:42 AM
If nobody votes soon, we could just do a ranking thing where each DJ participating ranks the three mixes that are not his in order of quality. 1 point for the best, 2 for the second, and so on. Least points wins?

M!TCH
07-24-2013, 09:40 AM
^ That works.

DJArmani
07-24-2013, 10:47 AM
^ That works.

Yeah, guess nobody likes commercial house, lol.

Zander James
07-24-2013, 07:14 PM
So, if we don't have votes in by this Saturday (7/27), we post our own analysis of the other mixes and our ranks for them?

DjBlanco
07-24-2013, 07:26 PM
listening now as i work will review shortly

Mix1: great energy from the start lost me at 6:00 though on the buildup felt like it could have been more dramatic going into atmosphere but picked back up only to loose it again @8:30 drop into animals could have been cleaner imo but fit well but lost its flow again at 10:20 did pick back up after the stall though

mix2: couldn't get into

mix3: my ears.... they hurt dam son... chill with the air horns and samples and work on timing your transitions better

mix4: started off with one of my favorite tracks out right now but left me feeling some sort of way with hit it wedged in there but enjoyed the track selection

going to have to side with mix 1 though

Dj DRPX
07-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Will listen tonight :)

DJArmani
07-26-2013, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback blanco & thanks for voting DRPX. A little more feedback would be great though!

Skasja
07-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Ok, sorry, this is going to be harsh... Don't take it too seriously!

I guess I'll have to join in a battle soon so you can grill me as hard...

Mix 1
Summary: messy and disjointed feeling

First 3 minutes of buildup only, gets boring
finally some vocals, liking it more...
Meh with the loops
almost got it with the transition around 6min, but too quick - made it lose tension
Lost the flow at 7min, stopped listening

Mix 2
Summary: Average run of the mill mix, forgettable

Why did you pick those specific tracks?
wtf at 3:30 and again at 4:40
The songs -suck-
Lil Jon's hands up intro should not have been drown out by the fade out

Mix 3
Summary: try again sorry

Mix 4
Summary: enjoyable overall, but the ebb/flow detracts from the experience instead of adding to it

Great intro!
What are you doing there at 2:40???
Next track fits but should have been started a few bars later - made transition flow much better!
I'm turning up my volume, good sign :)
Nice track selection so far!
But now we're 7 minutes in and it's just more of the same
Imagining a club setting: I'm off to the bar...
At 7:50 I still didn't get my drink order in and the music irritates me, we're leaving!
Changed my mind at 8:30 - good thing I stayed!
At 10min, I want to leave again...
Still agreeable until world hold on, now I wanna start throwing things at you!
Please! Cut the 2 minutes with Bob Sinclar's vocals and go straight into the progression

Mix 4 still wins my vote...

Edit: Picking up and getting even better towards the end. I'd let you into my booth and take over for 30 minutes no problem, while I make a round across the bar...

superdj1
07-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Ok here's my take. Because we are all dj's (in one form or another) we will be very critical of other dj's mixes even if some of us are not as good. This is all subjective to our preference of songs, genre and method of transition and what one person may like another will hate. After saying this, Mix 1 - I didn't connect, Mix 2 - I like the song selections, could do more, Mix 3 - I like the intro, bad transition and lost me after that, Mix 4 - Nice selection could have done more to personalize the mix. For me it's a toss up between 2 and 4.

Hightopfade
07-31-2013, 10:55 AM
All very good for "beginners". Voted for Mix 4.

cgvince
07-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys !

I've noticed though I think one person has voted without giving feedback

M!TCH
08-01-2013, 12:26 PM
As there are five hours left and I know I am not going to win I'll comment on these.

Anyone who listened to mix #3 and took it seriously, :lol: Starting off with Harlem Shake (@@ Remix feat. kopiikat) and ending with Levels (@@ Remix) I thought was enough to give it away as a joke. I don't mix electro house, it's not my style, I decided to have some fun in the "beginner" battle :D nothing makes a good festival set like overusing Dada Life.

Thanks for all the voting peeps and I'll have to do a rematch with you guys sometime :tup:

Zander James
08-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the voting everyone!

Since this was my first battle, what exactly is the protocol now that voting is closed?

M!TCH
08-01-2013, 09:47 PM
You can say what mix is yours.

Zander James
08-01-2013, 10:15 PM
You can say what mix is yours.

Ah okay, thanks!

My mix was Mix #4. I'm glad that most of the voters had positive things to say about the mix, as I worked really hard on it. The comment saying it needs to be personalized a bit more hit home for me, and I know that I need to work on more mixing strategies to make things unique. Once again, thank you everyone for voting and taking the time to listen and comment!