PDA

View Full Version : got a traktor s2, need a decent and inexpensive set of speakers

k0mpresd
03-02-2012, 01:34 PM
i know nothing about audio, but i just bought myself a traktor s2 to start to toy with dj'ing. my problem is im currently listening to everything through the headphones because i have no speakers. :(
im looking for a set of new/used, decent, and inexpensive speakers. im only looking to use them in my home for the time being.
any suggestions? thanks.

DJNR
03-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Are you looking for speakers to play out with? Or are you looking for speakers just for home use?

k0mpresd
03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
just for home use.

DJNR
03-02-2012, 01:46 PM
You're going to be looking for a pair of studio monitors then. There's all sorts of brands you can look at, but the only ones I have had time with KRK speakers. They sound pretty good, and are pretty fairly priced IMO.

You can find them here. (http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Rokit-Powered-5-Generation-2-Powered-Studio-Monitor--Each--104908710-i1403132.gc)

k0mpresd
03-02-2012, 01:48 PM
thanks for the info.

audiopyle
03-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Or you can go ahead and buy some PA speakers, then you will have something to use when you are ready to play out.

jimbrowski00
03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Just get some decent computer speakers... monitors are more expensive and not necessary

djfaceatl
03-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Personally, I would look on craigslist for an good bookshelf system. You can usually buy them for less that $50
I like AIWA because they seem to have the best bass out of the ones I have heard but its on you

ampnation
03-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Monitors are great if you're gonna be producing mixes because good monitors give you a very flat accurate response unlike hifi and other speakers which might sound good but not be as accurate. If you just wanna practice mixing, any full range speaker option is gonna work well -- the trick then would be getting the most bang for your buck. Whether you get speakers with a very full range, or a combination that includes subwoofers to get your bass extension, you should try to get the best bass reproduction possible to get the full sound like you would expect when you start playing out.

Hibbo
03-02-2012, 04:06 PM
As a very very cheap stop gap genuinely just get some computer speakers, 2 little speakers and a subwoofer, i got an ex bird a set from Tesco for £15 about 4 years ago for her laptop at uni and was amazed at how decent they were.
Do that and save up for some KRK 6's, incredible sound.

k0mpresd
03-02-2012, 09:02 PM
i hadnt thought about computer speakers. thanks for the suggestions. i really like to buy once and be done with it. but honestly i dont have the extra $300 to drop on a nice set right now.

k0mpresd
03-02-2012, 10:01 PM
what would be the best way to hookup a standard set of bookshelf speakers to the s2 since it only has rca/1/4" outputs?

ampnation
03-02-2012, 10:09 PM
what would be the best way to hookup a standard set of bookshelf speakers to the s2 since it only has rca/1/4" outputs?

A simple adapter should work well. monoprice.com is a good place usually for an inexpensive one that isn't garbage. You'll want an adapter with a single 1/8" stereo female and dual RCA male leads. The 1/4" outs are balanced IIRC so that wouldn't be the best way to go because the speakers aren't balanced. It is possible to go from the balanced to unbalanced, but RCA outs will be easiest.