PDA

View Full Version : 2 Yorkville LS801Ps + 2 RCF 312As?

DYM
02-05-2012, 09:03 AM
So right now I have two great 312As and I am looking to add a sub, or two. Would you guys recommend the Yorkville LS801P... one or two? Or would you say go with one RCF sub? Any other ideas? Using this for school dances, sweet 16s, country club halls, ect. Thanks! Budget is around $1800... I can possibly get two band new LS801Ps for this price :tup:

GaFFLe
02-05-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm usually a fan of matching system components but I know that doesn't always work out. If you can land 2 LS801P's for that price... more power to you. Don't sleep on that deal!

You'll probably need to tone down the bass for a more balanced sound. For school dances and sweet 16's, you're choosing the right subs. Unlike a lot of typical front-loaded powered boxes, the LS801P's have the effect of throwing the bass really far. I used to own QSC HPR181i's and although the sound quality was good, crowds would always dance up close to feel the best bass impact. I sold those in favor of some Danley TH-118's and they are always at least 15 feet or farther back. The bass reaLLy carries with them.

DYM
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback! And for personal knowlege.. were should I set the hi-pass crossover?

Al Poulin
02-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback! And for personal knowlege.. were should I set the hi-pass crossover?

A single LS801P OR a pair of LS720Ps = a great match for the 312As.

To keep up with a pair of 801Ps, you need more tops OR more powerful tops.

There are no hi-pass outs on the 801P or 720P unfortunately....

Al

DJ Riddims
02-05-2012, 12:41 PM
The LS801P is definitely a loud sub-woofer, but I never liked its sound quality. The bass is to boomy and does not sound very musical. I'm not saying it sounds bad but it doesn't sound great. I own a RCF 4PRO 8001-AS and I think it sounds significantly better than the LS801p, even the ****** listener should notice the difference. I usually say get the best sounding sub you can afford, but if you can get two new LS801Ps for 1800 I would purchase them because its a great deal. Make sure your are able to transport them because they are quite large and heavy, about 135lbs.

allenpa5
02-05-2012, 12:41 PM

Al

Agreed. A single ls801p is a pretty good match for those tops. However, if you're doing a school dance, greek event, or anythign like that, having 2 of the ls801p's with those 2 tops would be a great match as well. For those kinds of shows you can never have enough bass (in my experience). Everyone wants their event to sound like a club!

DYM
02-05-2012, 12:42 PM

Al

Hmmm.. theres not? Look at this picture: http://omahaaudiorentals.com/images/yorkville-ls800p-rear.jpg

allenpa5
02-05-2012, 12:45 PM
They have low pass filters built in, but the output signal is a full spectrum signal. You'd need an additional crossover for its HP filter in between the sub and your tops.

DYM
02-05-2012, 12:49 PM
What a good digital crossover?

Al Poulin
02-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Hmmm.. theres not look at this picture: http://omahaaudiorentals.com/images/yorkville-ls800p-rear.jpg

I am VERY VERY familiar with these subs and the outputs are THRU outputs which do not modify the signal. What you are looking at is a high frequency rolloff knob. What this does is limit how high in frequency the sub puts out to better match to the tops you are using. There is no high pass filter that sends a filtered signal to your tops however. It would have been nice and intelligent for Yorkville to include one, but no. Their argument is that if you use their powered tops, such as the NX55P, 750P, EF500P etc... these have a selectable 100hz cutoff that can be enaged. You would then set the frquency rolloff to 100 on the sub.

The RCF subs do have high passed outs with selectable frequency.

Al

DYM
02-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Would going with ONE RCF SUB 718-AS Active Subwoofer be a better choice with a built in crossover?

Al Poulin
02-05-2012, 12:56 PM
What a good digital crossover?

I honestly woldn't worry about it. The RCFs don't put out much below 90hz (you can see their frequency response graph on the RCf site where they drop off quickly below 80hz), so I would set the sub's HF rolloff at its lowest and simply try to keep my EQ flat so as not to overwork the woofers on the RCFs. Simply adjust the gains on the RCFs and Yorkvilles so as to achieve a well balanced sound and enough low frequency so you won't feel the need to boost on your mixer channel EQs.

AL

Al Poulin
02-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Would going with ONE RCF SUB 718-AS Active Subwoofer be a better choice with a built in crossover?

The RCF subs have good performance BUT are very expensive. The LS801Ps offers the best bang for the buck out there (output wise) but is big and heavy. Depends what is imoportant to you I guess...

Al

DYM
02-05-2012, 12:59 PM
So would it be better to go with ONE RCF SUB 718-AS Active Subwoofer?

allenpa5
02-05-2012, 01:01 PM
I honestly woldn't worry about it. The RCFs don't put out much below 90hz (you can see their frequency response graph on the RCf site where they drop off quickly below 80hz), so I would set the sub's HF rolloff at its lowest and simply try to keep my EQ flat so as not to overwork the woofers on the RCFs. Simply adjust the gains on the RCFs and Yorkvilles so as to achieve a well balanced sound and enough low frequency so you won't feel the need to boost on your mixer channel EQs.

AL

I'd definitely still consider using a crossover with the RCF tops just for safety sake. I'm not one to take my own advice on this matter, but from EVERYTHING I've heard from other members in other forums, a crossover is always a good idea when dealing with subs and tops.

Al Poulin
02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
A crossover is ideal BUT not always needed if you are careful and avoid boosting your low frequencies and watch your limit lights. (a crossover IS essential with live bands as the dynamic range is much greater than with CD music and a mic'd kick drum can do some serious woofer damage to smaller cabinets)

I usually run my mixer channel bass knobs at -3DB with my mids and highs flat when using my 310As with a sub. Even with my system at full swing, there is barely any air coming out of the bass ports of the 310A. That tells me excursion is not a problem and I don't see the limit light blink at all, so am not worried. This is fine for many RCF cabs as their bass response is very weak below 80hz, so as long as you're not boosting your lows anywhere - they're not working all that hard. My NX55Ps on the other hand, have a substantial built-in bass boost in their processing, so I engage the 100hz cutoff on them when using them with my sub. I like having as few things as possible in my signal chain so as to keep the sound as clean and noise free as possible - why I don't use outboard EQs or processors or crossovers...

Al

Sween
02-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Love my LS801P...

Yes, you need an external crossover.

DYM
02-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm gonna see if I can score an RCF 18 inch for around $1350ish.... my good friend said that an external cross over is a pain. Also, there's the mass amount of weight with the Yorkville... I'll be posting back here in a bit, let's see if I can get a deal.

GaFFLe
02-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm gonna see if I can score an RCF 18 inch for around $1350ish.... my good friend said that an external cross over is a pain. Also, there's the mass amount of weight with the Yorkville... I'll be posting back here in a bit, let's see if I can get a deal.
Oh well... Yorkville just lost the sale of a sub because of the lack of a decent built-in HPF output crossover.

DYM
02-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Oh well... Yorkville just lost the sale of a sub because of the lack of a decent built-in HPF output crossover.

Pretty much... not looking for a hassel.

DJ Riddims
02-07-2012, 09:13 PM
You won't regret a RCF sub, especially the 4Pro series or higher.

wilson
05-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Love my LS801P...

Yes, you need an external crossover.

What crossover do you use, and how do you have it set up out of curiosity? As in, the crossover is kept by your sub, or do you run a line to sub then back to your booth before the tops?

sss18734
05-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Something you can do to sort of "make up" for the lack of a crossover is turn your bass knob down on your mixer, and then increase the gain on your sub to compensate.

I've done that successfully plenty of times when a crossover was not available.

DYM
05-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Hello thread from the dead!

Well, I went with a Yorkville LS801PB. Yes, it is big and heavy. Yes, it is loud and boomy.

My crossover (which isn't that bad and I love) is the DBX 234. I do a mono-sum for my sub. :tup:

Out of mixer into x-over. x-over mono-sum to sub. x-over stereo to left and right top.

Evolved
06-26-2012, 02:43 AM
Hmmm.. theres not? Look at this picture: http://omahaaudiorentals.com/images/yorkville-ls800p-rear.jpg
Yes that's not a true crossover on the rear of that sub.

Alpine_Ent
06-26-2012, 03:07 AM
There really is no better subs for the price then the LS801p imo. They pound and are very reliable. I use a range of 1-3 at some events and it literally is a earth mover. 3 would be excessive unless you are doing an even in a large school gym with about 300+ guests. But we have done it and they sound fantastic. We do use them with the yorkville tops though but for small sweet 16s Ive used one LS801p with a pair of mackies and also my ev live x 12" speakers. and it still sounded awesome

DEF GO FOR IT!

DYM
06-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Yea, I went with the LS801PB... a month or two ago. Great sub, rocked a school dance of 600 kids pool parties, and Sweet 16s no problem. Crossed over with the DBX 234 I believe. Monster sub.

Evolved
06-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Yea, I went with the LS801PB... a month or two ago. Great sub, rocked a school dance of 600 kids pool parties, and Sweet 16s no problem. Crossed over with the DBX 234 I believe. Monster sub.

I will be accepting delivery of an RCF 4Pro 8003-AS to pair with my 312A's. this will before an outdoor gig with about 150 people. I will make a new post about how it worked out. I have never tried anything like this before and this will be my second outdoor gig in the same spot where I had just 2 312-A's before and no sub.