PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic treatment advice

Liam
03-02-2012, 07:27 AM
I have recently just leased out a place for a production studio, i will be in the building with a friend who produces also but this is my first time treating a room.

Now my friend has fully treated his room and has Nelski (Rising Music) coming up this weekend to make sure everything is the way it should be but my room isn't ready.

I'm planning on buying acoustic foam to place on the walls/roof and bass traps in the corners etc and also planning on buying some sort or rock wool to cover other parts.

So my question is, do you guys know of any places that have good prices for acoustic foam and what i would be looking to purchase? Remembering i'm in the UK and shipping from US can be expensive.

Also do you guys have any tips?

-J
03-02-2012, 08:19 AM
I have recently just leased out a place for a production studio, i will be in the building with a friend who produces also but this is my first time treating a room.

Now my friend has fully treated his room and has Nelski (Rising Music) coming up this weekend to make sure everything is the way it should be but my room isn't ready.

I'm planning on buying acoustic foam to place on the walls/roof and bass traps in the corners etc and also planning on buying some sort or rock wool to cover other parts.

So my question is, do you guys know of any places that have good prices for acoustic foam and what i would be looking to purchase? Remembering i'm in the UK and shipping from US can be expensive.

Also do you guys have any tips?

Its ghetto as hell, but carpet makes good sound treatment and you can usually dumpster dive for scraps at a flooring store.

Thrown off of a structure of moderate height.

Bill Fitzmaurice
03-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Its ghetto as hell, but carpet makes good sound treatment and you can usually dumpster dive for scraps at a flooring store.
+1. And it's very easy to overdo room treatments. If you must use traps fiberglass is a far better material than foam, and a lot less expensive. Have a look here:
http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

thehadgi
03-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I also am going to be treating a room in about 6 months time... thanks for that link. Sub'd for additional info also

Liam
03-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the link guys.

J, i was planning on getting some rockwool to cover up some windows and put some carpet around it to take all the frequencies. The foam would just be for behind, above and to the sides of me..

I found 24 tiles and 4 bass traps for £100. Think it's a nice deal?

Bill Fitzmaurice
03-02-2012, 10:48 AM
I found 24 tiles and 4 bass traps for £100. Think it's a nice deal?For that price I could get enough fiberglass, lumber and fabric to treat a house.

Scrap McNapps
03-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Order from Gik Acoustics. I believe they have a UK division over there.