PDA

View Full Version : Dub/Bro/Current step fans: What do you think of the current state of the wobz

thehadgi
07-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Ventured into the beatport top 100 for dubstep tonight, not sure why. And yes, I am aware that this does not signify the entirety of the talent pool of dubstep, old, new, or good necessarily. But I want to hear what the guys that DJ and play and like this stuff and play it out for clubs have to say.

I listened to the top 20 probably, and I can't tell the difference between any of them. They may have well been produced by the same person. I know that similarity in charts isnt restricted to dubstep. To those that play to crowds who listen to this music, how do you see the scene evolving? How is it different? Is the obsession still with the 'skrillex' sound? Or do you see it morphing somewhere else? What's the new thing with this 'dubstep' movement now? Obviously it's evolved from the two step garage days, then got to the SKRILLY obsession phase... Is it moving in a new direction?

Asking as an outsider who doesn't know what's hot right now with this scene. I know people have opinions (as do I) on now vs then when it comes to dubstep, but I want to see what the guys playing this stuff out on a regular basis have to say about the trends and movement of this scene.

JackStalk
07-12-2013, 11:44 AM
I feel like the progressive house chart is almost the exact same thing.

thehadgi
07-12-2013, 11:50 AM
I feel like the progressive house chart is almost the exact same thing.

Yeah, that's why I said its not like dubstep is really different in that regard. Just wondering what the guys in the dubstep scene have to say, since I'm in the prog scene more or less I already know what's goin on there but kinda wanted to get filled in on the wobble scene just for posterity's sake hehe

disparate
07-18-2013, 06:21 AM
I keep up with dubstep to an extent and there's still some good stuff getting released. Labels like Tempa and Deep Medi are still staying putting out dubstep that sounds to me like actual dubstep, people like Killawatt are pushing it new directions, and a lot of the originals like Peverelist and Appleblim have moved a bit away from the dubstep sound but are continuing to make very interesting stuff. I've got very little interest in the Skrillex sound or anything more "wubby" than the first couple of labels I've mentioned, to me that's got very little to do with my definition of dubstep.

If the Beatport Top 20 was a reliable barometer of a genre's underground health then we'd be fucked :D

JackStalk
07-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Dubstep is like disco. Everybody thought it was cool at first and dabbled in it, then it became huge really quickly and no one wants a part of it so a lot of them moved toward a similar scene (trap/80s dance). I used to hear almost every mainstream DJ at least playing a few tracks, now you don't hear it out at all.

CC Ricers
07-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Dubstep has a broken fanbase now. I haven't been there since its early days, but to me dubstep was probably minding its own business when drum & bass violently collided with it, and a chunk of dubstep got blown off and coalesced into its own mixture of different-sounding things, now just barely having any of the content of the former two.