PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting 3 way Old school hip-hop battle - DJFlomatic vs DJRootz vs Austin GoGreen

JonAvalon
03-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/DjFloMatic-vs-djrootz-vs-austingogreen-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/DjFloMatic-vs-djrootz-vs-austingogreen-2.mp3)

Mix 3 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/DjFloMatic-vs-djrootz-vs-austingogreen-3.mp3)

Rules:
Old School Hip Hop Battle
20-30 mins long
80s-90s Hip Hop
"NO effects"
"NO crooklyn clan style remixes"
"straight classics"....

scottie the goonie
03-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I'll give these a listen later tonight. It's good to see hip-hop and tablism battles here.

alazydj
03-02-2012, 12:30 AM
mix 1- First track is a classic, but the first mix was messy. Second mix was much better, same with the 3rd. From Snoop to Flash wasn't as clean. Overall, the style was alright...but the mixing wasn't always on point.

mix 2- Intro was BALLLLLLIN', first mix was very clean with the loop. Wicked remix of Nas. Bombs were dropped; Songs went by fast, but I felt like nothing got cut off. Overall the mixing style was tight/near godly.

mix 3- Intro wasn't as interesting as the others. A LOT less risks were taken...and the payoff shows. This seemed like a house mix of hip-hop tracks.

Mix Two destroyed the competition. Mix one comes in second, and mix three didn't do much for me.

Mrspyaman
03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I liked them all.
Mix 1 was a little sloppy but still enjoyable.
Mix 2 was cleaner with a nice track list.
Mix 3 had the least individual flavor but sometimes less is more although that DNA track almost
disqualified it from my pick.

Great job all and good luck

PS. Only reason 2 did not get my vote was the efx and crooklyn clan remix of everyday people used.

purex like soap
03-05-2012, 05:01 PM
I liked all three mixes, but number two gets my vote.

mix 1 had a good song selection but some of the mixing and scratching sounded slightly off or hurried.

mix 2 had a great song selection and the transitions were good.

mix 3 also had a great song selection but that little extra effort in mix 2 made me pick it over this one.

DjFloMatic
03-06-2012, 07:47 PM
bump!

digi16v
03-07-2012, 11:47 AM
took me minute to get thru these. Alot of the tracks I like so I wanted to give everyone a proper listen.
giving my vote to mix #2.
Like mix1 but has some stmbles in the transitions plus some of the scratching was off.
like mix3 but you played it REAL safe. no scratchin just blend to blend.. could have used more effects and some scratching.. it is/was a hip-hop battle.
great job fellas.
I have saved all three to my droid.....
:tup:

please answer this when the battle is over. WHERE IS EVERYONE FROM?? track selection sort of states it but I wanted to be sure.
:D

Sigma
03-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Mix 1 - This mix kinda screamed "auto-sync!" at me, cos the beatmatching was spot on while the rest of it was lacking technically IMO. The blends were short and sweet, some were well timed while others weren't. The scratching/juggling attempts detracted from the mix for me, although this is a battle so in this case I'd rather you did that stuff than just straight up blends. Good tunes throughout and you packed a lot in, although it was kind of a mixed bag of tracks. I would say to focus on a more cohesive set next time in terms of the tunes (plus, perhaps don't use so many to give things time to breathe) and work on some of your tech skills.

Mix 2 - There were some good ideas in this one. Right from the off you did the "don't get high off your own supply" fading loop thing which was creative and sounded good and made me want to keep on listening. I think this was a solid mix and showed a nice blend of creativity and skill. The main negative for me would be the levels, as when you started scratching in certain tracks they were way louder than the track you were cutting over. Overall, while it didn't blow me away, it did make me think "this guy is gonna be dope in another year or two". If you've been DJing for 20 years, well no offence meant by that previous comment, haha. Nice job man.

Mix 3 - The opening track is one of my favourites of all time. Some of the blends in this were nice and well timed, such as Hip-Hop Hooray into Sucker MCs, while others weren't good, such as Sucker MCs into Mama Said Knock You Out, but overall I think it was just too basic even though I enjoyed the tunes. I think you need to work on some trick mixing/scratching to spice things up a bit.

Mix 2 gets my vote.

Oh yeah, and to be even more of a Debbie Downer, lol, the sound quality of these mixes leaves a bit to be desired. 1 was 96 Kbps, 2 was inconsistent with the levels, and 3 sounded kinda thin and weak and the volume was too low. Sorry to be harsh gents, but I gotta be honest about this cos I hate poor quality recordings. :D

mix4fix
03-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Mix #2 was good but I went with mix #3 because of "Tom's Diner" (because I remember a DJ {on a DVD?} saying that back in the day, it wasn't all rap and you played stuff like Nu Shooz).

moyo wilde
03-14-2012, 01:25 PM
finally got to listen to all three. pretty much got nothing much to add. mix2 was really really good. and mix three was really realy smooth, just needed to take some chances with a scratch or some kinda trick i loved the blend from tribe to tom's diner, was ultrasmooth.

Austin GoGreen
03-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Thanks for all your votes everyone! I've been spinning on 1200's for just over a year now. To the other DJ's, great mixes! I'm adding a couple things to new crates from this battle.

Digi16v, I'm from Ohio just north of Cincinnati in the burbs. I grew up during the golden era of Hip Hop so Biggie, Pac, Mobb Deep, Arrested Development, Wu Tang, Outkast, Goodie Mobb, 8ball and MJG... that's my shit

moyo wilde
03-16-2012, 08:24 AM
who won? and whose mix was whose?

Austin GoGreen
03-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Mine was #2, not sure about the others

DjFloMatic
03-18-2012, 07:52 PM
I was 1....def. rushed it lol oh well

Good shit from others...