PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide: Mixtrack Pro vs Hercules RMX

InfoSeek
03-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Hiya!

So I've decided I want to try my hand at DJ'ing. Nothing grandeur, just see if it's really for me. I have been to a few parties where I ended up "managing" the music via youtube, or just playing cds (I had in my car) and people have actually come up to me and asked if I DJ, lol. So I figured why not try it.

Now I'm really new to this so forgive me if I use the wrong term. I'm looking into buying a low end mixer/controller.

Budget: Max $230
End goal (If I like DJ'ing): Club DJ

The two that I'm really interested in are the Numark Mixtrack Pro and the Hercules RMX but I can't for the life of me decide which one to get. They cost $200 and $150 respectively and while the RMX is cheaper, it has smaller jog wheels. However, from what I read, its build quality is better of the two. In comparison, the Mixtrack pro has more tutorial videos on youtube and has a larger jog wheel, but I don't like the fact that it's made of plastic. Furthermore, to my understanding, I can expand on the RMX by adding additional MIDI components in the future if I enjoy DJ'ing. Also, I've seen a couple of videos on youtube where people were scratching (?) on the RMX and it was pretty sick. It looks sleeker too, lol.

So what do you guys suggest?

P.S. I tried searching this topic on here and couldn't find anything substantial. FYI

Oz

DJ Matt
03-01-2012, 07:38 PM
IMO the RMX is nicer aesthetically and since you seem to like it anyway, then i would say its your best bet.

i wouldnt have high expectations for scratching with either of them to be honest.

Defiance
03-01-2012, 08:23 PM
I have the original Mixtrack. Bought it in 09, has been my single most used controller in gigs, in pretty harsh conditions. I was hesitant also because its plastic. But its kind of like the xbox or playstation controller plastic, it is tough. Not one issue there.

I really like the search knob and deck load numark has, the mixtrack is setup very similar to the NS6 which made me very happy when I picked up the NS6. Not sure what the RMX has but selecting tracks without touching the computer is extremely nice.

InfoSeek
03-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Ah, so that's where I should have posted. My apologies.

I would use scratching as a means of transitioning between songs and a little here and there, but nothing major. As far as searching and loading songs without touching the computer, you can do that with the RMX as well. I guess I just have to see which one I'm more comfortable with. Tomorrow I'll be going to guitar center to check them out.

ampnation
03-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Don't worry too much about expandability. Chances are instead of adding to one of these, you'll end up buying a better controller when you have more to spend.

fat8ack
03-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I bought the Mix Track pro as my first controller and loved it so much. Easy to use a if you read all the reviews it seems most believe it is a great learning vessel. Just read up on both of them and go with what you feel fits you best. My crossfader started messing up after about 5 months but I mainly spin EDM so that was not that big of a deal as I just thought myself to mix using the upfaders. Turned out that is really the best way to mix EDM so I guess I am kinda glad it went out. With that being said probably would not be the best for scratching .

I have a NS6 now and love it to death!

TheBoggler
03-02-2012, 10:52 AM
I looked into this in my first weeks of DJing, and by leaps and bounds - RMX. You get a better soundcard, better build, sweeter looking setup, and TONS of djs swore by the RMX as their first controllers, and even kept them as they progressed in skill, simply because of the incredible build. You probably won't really be scratching so jog wheels shouldn't be a big factor [it's not like you'd be able to scratch very well on the numark anyways].

Defiance
03-02-2012, 11:10 AM
I bought the Mix Track pro as my first controller and loved it so much. Easy to use a if you read all the reviews it seems most believe it is a great learning vessel. Just read up on both of them and go with what you feel fits you best. My crossfader started messing up after about 5 months but I mainly spin EDM so that was not that big of a deal as I just thought myself to mix using the upfaders. Turned out that is really the best way to mix EDM so I guess I am kinda glad it went out. With that being said probably would not be the best for scratching .

I have a NS6 now and love it to death!

I would bet if you cracked open the case and alcohol swabbed the crossfader that would fix it.

MeowMix
03-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Dont know about the mixtrack but my RMX was in incredible starter controller. Its very versatile and has a tough, sleek build.

DJ Matt
03-03-2012, 06:23 AM
to put it this way, even though i have much better equipment now, i still cannot part with the RMX because its such a practical and simple backup device in case soemthing goes wrong with the other equipment, the fact that it only requires a USB cable to get going is also a plus,

im having play buttons sticking on the denon mc6000 after only 6months, RMX still going strong.

Defiance
03-03-2012, 07:33 AM
My mixtrack is the same way Matt, its sitting next to me at my desktop, as that is where I DL music from and typically play with the song before sending it over to my external.

MeowMix
03-03-2012, 08:20 AM
There. Is someone selling an rmx in the classifieds section of the forums for less than 200.

ampnation
03-03-2012, 11:13 AM
im having play buttons sticking on the denon mc6000 after only 6months

noted with a touch of sad

InfoSeek
03-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks everyone!

I went ahead and bought the RMX a couple of days ago after going to guitar center and messing around with it and the mixtrack pro. It should be arriving today. I got it along with stanton headphones (dj pro 2000s), so least to say, I'm ecstatic! Not to mention guitar center really took care of me! So props to them.

Now, moving forward, what are some good resources/tutorials out there. For the most part, I've been reading stuff on forums and youtube'ing. What do you guys use/recommend? OR should I post this on another subforum?

Oz

DJ Que Yi
03-06-2012, 10:44 AM
I bought a the RMX as my first controller. It has excellent build quality and expandability. I gave up on scratching with it. Even with VDJ Pro allowing me to change the jog wheel settings the scratching wasn't quite what I expected. However for mixing it's damn good. I sold mine and opted for Serato and my 1200's to get closer to a traditional two turntables set up which better suited my style. But I enjoyed the RMX! I don't think you could go wrong with it.

InfoSeek
03-06-2012, 12:35 PM
1200s, are those the technics? I was under the impression that you could attach turn tables to the RMX. Man, I can't wait for this thing to arrive! I'm literally checking the door every 30 mins, lol.

Btw, how did you start DJ'ing? What did you do/use to learn?

fat8ack
03-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Btw, how did you start DJ'ing? What did you do/use to learn?

The best way to learn is to not stop practicing. Practice every chance you get and explore your software and controller interface as much as you can in between mixing. I have been practicing 5 days a week for the last year from thew day I bought my Mixtrack Pro, it it is really paying off now!