PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJ Difficult vs JackStalk vs M!tch - Trance Battle

JonAvalon
07-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Mix 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/DjDifficult-vs-JackStalk-vs-%20M!tch-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/DjDifficult-vs-JackStalk-vs-%20M!tch-2.mp3)

Mix 3 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/DjDifficult-vs-JackStalk-vs-%20M!tch-3.mp3)

Rules:
Last mix in before 40min mark
No sync, but use whatever you want

ChrisHynds
07-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Nice1 Jon!

Will listen to these today

thehadgi
07-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Gonna have to check out tmrw

Era 7
07-08-2013, 06:34 AM
Mix 1
i dig the style. mellow at the beginning. a little weird switch with juno reactor - pistolero in the middle there. kinda felt out of place, since it was the only track with that kind of style in the mix. sounded like there were some artifacts around the 33 minute mark and further sound problems around the 36 minute mark. overall good selection and flow. can't complain about anything when it comes to mixing. pretty enjoyable to listen to.

Mix 2
the transition at 6:20 made me rewind 3 times, asking if i missed something. where did the outgoing track go? happened a few times throughout the mix. didn't dig trousy stuff at the beginning either. it got better after the 23 minute mark, but kinda ruined it with the weird transition at 29 minutes. soundend like it was mixed from the last 32 bars into a breakdown, which sounds strange since there isn't much to break down there. killed it a little. overall not too excited about this one. no offense.

Mix 3
at the beginning i had the feeling that this was going in the same direction as mix 2, but it got better after minute 16 (didn't dig the tracks before that). sounded like there was some clashing with the transition around minute 22. otherwise there is not much i can complain about. mixing was mostly solid and the selection was decent, although i has wished for a fewer vocal tracks, but that is a matter of taste. overall more mellow than the two other mixes. had a good vibe, just not really for me. i like a mix to move my feet, but still a good mix.

conclusion: my winner is mix 1. overall the mixing was the cleanest of the three and the track selection was the one that fit my taste most.

ChrisHynds
07-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Mix 1 - Really enjoyed this set, some great uplfting and euphoric tracks to kick things off, almost had a really oldskool vibe to a few of them, extra points for playing Angry Man - Tyrant, Love that tune, like Era said already, I love Pistolero but it didnt fit the set, if you had of threw in a few more psy tracks after it, it would have been cool but it was a little random on its own, mixing out into Tic Tac was cool, mixing has been pretty tight through out, so kudos for that, last transition seems to loose a little bit of volume, but Im just being picky now, pretty solid set and I really enojyed listening, def my style of Trance - Great stuff!! oh BTW - can i get an ID on that last track?

Mix 2 - Couldnt really get into a flow with this one, the tracks were ok, I recognised quite a few but Im not really into that style of trance, mixing was questionable in a few area's, the outgoing track seemed to just dissapear a few times, you cut out too early, beat matching wasnt too bad throughout but the execution of your transitions could have been better with some smoother eq-ing. In all, it wasn't a bad set, I did enjoy a few of the tracks, and its definitely a listenable set, not enough to beat mix1 in terms of mixing or track selection imo. Nice job!

Mix 3 - Ok, nice little intro, I recognise the track but don't know what it is, mixing was pretty good for the most part, a few tracks didn't feel right together, Solarstone The jewel was one that stuck out the most as being off, nice track but it clashed coming in, I enjoyed the set, very commercial without being trouse which was actually nice to hear, not what I normally listen to, also liked Pvd arty the ocean, nice track. The set started slow and built so you definitely had direction but just not enough to beat mix 1.

Great sets guys

I vote mix 1

M!TCH
07-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks for listening!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Era 7 again.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ChrisHynds again.

:shrug:

Delta V
07-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Mix 1: Not much of an intro just beat beat beat, no worries though it quickly build into a groove. Good mix into second tune, really dig this one. Mixing is very fast here and the tunes feel a bit older but I could be totally wrong on that I'm a pretty ****** trance fan. Psy tune coming in here, and after that some heavy trance. Love that breakdown in the tune after Tic Tac. Next tune felt a bit too soft for where you were headed, but it's still a good tune. Mixing was great all around it's gonna be tough to beat this one.

Mix 2: Again dropping right into the beats here, feels a bit slower than the mix 1. Dig this first tune. This turn up the lights turn up the bass sounds like a Britney Spears remix, and I kinda like it :uhoh:. Mix is getting a little to vocal for my liking, but mixing seems alright, doesn't seem quite as smooth as mix 1 though. Switching it up into more trancey territory here for the second half diggin this section too, it's like you hook me in with that vocal easily accessible stuff and then drop the deeper stuff.

Mix 3: YES, an intro thank you! First mix sounded a bit sudden to me. Quick mix into song 3, sounded alright to me. Next mix dropped in kinda sudden and loud, and feels just slightly slightly off nudge dat record. And another smooth vocal tune. And another smooth vocal tune. And another smooth vocal tune. Mix at 36 min also sounded like you were riding the pitch. Liked the last tune the best, good ending song.

Im going to go with mix 2, I didn't notice the beatmixing issues that posters above me did, and I think it flowed well, easing into different styles while mix 1 was rather abrupt and mix 3 was the same throughout.

M!TCH
07-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Just a reminder for Delta and Chris to listen to mix #3

ChrisHynds
07-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Just a reminder for Delta and Chris to listen to mix #3

Was busy yesterday, Im hoping to get round to mix 3 today,

Finnish_Fox
07-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Let me preface by saying I am not a trance guy. I mostly walked past the room at raves and wouldn't know any of the tracks and so I am not sure how much value my feedback holds.

Mix 1 - at this point in time, I've probably become more tolerant to the older, more melodic trance than this super hard stuff that seems to be all around these days... and this reminds me of a lot of the trance that was bangin' back in 2000 at least the way it started. The mixing has been pretty clean through 17'. Finished off a bit harder than I would personally like (though I liked the glitchier track) but can see how that might be a good thing for trance progression.

Mix 2 - wasn't as much a fan of this one as it seemed harder for the most part. Mixing seemed clear and had no real technical complaints regarding the mix... just wasn't crazy about the tunes.

Mix 3 - tomorrow, I swear.

DJ Difficult
07-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Thanks for voting! Trying to rep you but..

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Delta V again.

DJ Difficult
07-12-2013, 02:38 AM
Bumb..

ChrisHynds
07-12-2013, 03:09 AM
Sorry man, Ill have some time this weekend I promise :)

ChrisHynds
07-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Voted

DJ Difficult
07-20-2013, 04:42 AM
Bumb!

ChrisHynds
07-20-2013, 04:57 AM
Bumb!

Its over dude, Mix 1 is the winner

DJ Difficult
07-20-2013, 05:38 AM
:facepalm:
Yep, let's learn how to read :lol:
Well, then I can say that I was #2. It practically was first ever recorded trance mix with 2 major phrase matching fault. But this battle was just what I was hoping for. Good feedback and tips. Thank you guys!

M!TCH
07-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks for everyone's vote. Couldn't rep most of you. Need to spread the love.

I was mix #1. I couldn't resist throwing that Pistolero track in there :D The winner of the other battle and I have decided to skip doing a battle just between us as we're doing a deep prog trance set vs Sedna, Delta V, Era 7 (or Jackstalk) and ourselves.

Thanks for listening!

JackStalk
07-25-2013, 05:58 PM
I was mix 3, I play a lot of more commercial vocal stuff now so it shows in my song selection. I'll have to suck it up and play more underground stuff so my mixes don't stand out like a sore thumb in these battles :P