PDA

View Full Version : A New Approach to Internet Radio

pedromtavares
07-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Hey guys,

I work professionally as a software developer and DJ as a hobby, so I figured I'd unite both worlds with a project I just finished: http://mixradio.fm

The website is basically a single and global radio stream, where anyone who connects will listen to that stream in real time. The website also has a nice real time chat and you can easily log in with Facebook to interact with other listeners. But where do YOU guys (myself included!), as DJs, come in?

Well, the website works in 2 modes:
1) When there is a DJ connected to it, it will stream whatever that DJ is mixing, live. This means you will get a global audience that can listen to your music just by coming in the website.
2) When there isn't a DJ connected (if you go there now this is what you'll see), automatic playlists are created based on music from ex.fm, but the cool part is that any user can search and create their own playlist to be streamed live. This means basically anyone can play their music to people.

Unlike most internet radios sites out there, MixRadio.FM has a really friendly and polished interface, as well as the real time chat and map features which bring a much more interactive feel to it, simply put: it feels nice using it. By the way, there is no money involved in any of this, I don't charge anything for it nor do I pay anyone for this, I built it up all by myself just as a fun experience.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in (as a DJ), hit me up the setup is quite easy since the radio server is a SHOUTcast server.

Cheers,

KLH
07-06-2013, 06:22 PM
There are a million ways of listening to music on the internet. In our experience there has to be more than just music offered.

-KLH

pedromtavares
07-07-2013, 11:48 PM
...but there is. Did you not even open the link? :/

aaron altar
07-08-2013, 08:42 AM
I like the idea and the site looks ok. Why do you have to sign in with Facebook in order to play music and why doesn't the music play automatically when you show up at the site?

pedromtavares
07-08-2013, 12:29 PM
I like the idea and the site looks ok. Why do you have to sign in with Facebook in order to play music and why doesn't the music play automatically when you show up at the site?

The sign in with Facebook is only necessary to chat. The music should play once you go in the site, I think the problem is that ex.fm (the place where I get tracks when there is no DJ connected) is on maintenance these last few days, so I'll try to keep connected at all times for the time being so there's always music playing.

Sigma
07-08-2013, 02:54 PM
The music is working for me!

I think it's a great idea, but the website doesn't make it clear what features are on offer. When you go to the site, it looks like all you can do is press play to listen to music and log in via Facebook to chat to other users. Or is that all you can actually do right now?

pedromtavares
07-08-2013, 03:07 PM
The music is working for me!

I think it's a great idea, but the website doesn't make it clear what features are on offer. When you go to the site, it looks like all you can do is press play to listen to music and log in via Facebook to chat to other users. Or is that all you can actually do right now?

So it was you! :)

Well, when there is a DJ connected, yes. When there isn't a DJ connected you can build playlists to have them be streamed, there is a big 'New Playlist' button right by the 'Play' button for that.

The idea of this post was to get people interested in becoming DJs for the website and use it as a platform to show off their music to people in an interactive way (instead of just posting a link to soundcloud), with a microphone hooked up you can get pretty creative on a live stream, and having the chat and the map to show where all the listeners are coming from is pretty fun IMHO.

I'm leaving my iTunes EDM playlist rolling all day long so you guys can see it working and hopefully get excited, usually when I host parties I stream my DJ software output directly to it so people anywhere on the world can listen to the same sound in the same quality as people actually here :)

Oh, and I am also pretty open to feature suggestions, and since I'm the developer behind it basically anything is possible. Also, the site is just starting off and I am just one guy, so hopefully the attitude will be for us to build something fun together!

Cheers,