PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking and Vagabonding DJ Advice

djphatmatt
03-01-2012, 05:26 PM
This might sound a bit weird to some, but my goal is to become a vagabond traveling the US and internationally and DJing random places for money to live on and continue my travels. I have researched a bit and read a few ppl doing this but not much detail... I have down pretty much how I will be able to do this but my questioning arises about the right midi controller (smallest, lightweight, compact, professional) and if it will fit in a backpack along with some clothes, toilitries, 15" Macbook Pro, etc....

Anyone ever done this or have any advice? I am thinking of a VCI 100SE with an Audio 2 Soundcard, a VCI 300 Mk2, or Traktor Kontrol S2.... Again looking for the most compact, lightweight, easy to transport in a backpack?!?!

Also, I have been DJing off and off for about 12 years professionally. I started with turntables, then went to CDJs, then to turntables with Serato, and have been out of DJing for a few years and now leaning towards the Midi Contorller/ Digital side of things.

Thanks for any input or advice.

Matt

Phil Noize
03-01-2012, 08:09 PM
This controller is very compact and very capable ...

http://www.faderfox.de/mark/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108&Itemid=171

:tup:

djphatmatt
03-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I forgot to mention... I need job wheels. I am coming from a turntables/ cdj background and love to scratch.

Phil Noize
03-02-2012, 07:57 AM
In that case your thinking of VCI 100SE with an Audio 2 Soundcard sounds like the way forward to me.

djphatmatt
03-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Definitely what I was thinking... :)

Hibbo
03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
S2 would do you, built in soundcard, jog wheels and you can get some very good dj backpacks for it aswell.

k4hn
03-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Be careful out there.

The normal hobo/vagabond doesn't travel around with a MBP and other expensive electronics, you'd be opening yourself up to getting jacked.

Also, what are you going to do for speakers/amplification?

djphatmatt
03-02-2012, 06:06 PM
I will be staying in hotels, hostels with lockers, and couchsurfing..... Not gonna be busking on the street, etc...

Will be looking at playing at places that already have sound, will just have to plug and play (bars, clubs, lounges, festivals, etc)

Cryder
03-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Not gonna lie, I've fantasized about doing the exact same thing you're describing, but unfortunately I'm not sure it would play out the way you want it to, too many skeezy people out there in this wide world it seems, that and for some reason I don't see bar owners just letting you take control of a soundsystem, any place with the setup you want is probably booked out well in advance. BUT, if you make a go of it make sure to start a journal on here!

KLH
03-04-2012, 05:51 AM
what are you going to do for speakers/amplification?
This is the biggest problem that I see. Those with amplification won't trust you and those that want you shouldn't be trusted...

-KLH

Interracial Tea
03-04-2012, 05:40 PM
lol vagabond