PDA

View Full Version : laptop equipment (have most of what i need, was a CDJ before this)

squid
03-01-2012, 03:27 PM
hey guys, longtime lurker here. i'm a resident DJ for a hiphop/rap club where i live where i use in-house CDJs (read: not my gear). i play out to crowds of 400-500+ every saturday night.

i'm moving to laptop + controller because i want to play out at other gigs beside the one i already play at and the CDJs i want (pioneer 2000's or better) are out of my $ range.

i'm very very familiar with PC dj'ing already, i do plenty of mixing here in the bedroom, but i want to know what the minimal i need is to go live.

have:
huge PA system
great laptop
all software (prefer virtual dj or traktor, can use serato if i need to)
headphones
tons and tons of rca/6.5/etc cables
muzik

i know i want/need:
a controller that simulates CDJs, like this: http://usa.d-mpro.com/Assets/images/products/MC3000/L_MC3000_top.jpg

what i don't know
do i need a USB sound card? i guess it goes from laptop->usb soundcard->mixer/controller
will my cue work through a controller like the above mentioned through a usb soundcard? not sure what goes on there
if i choose serato, is one of those things with all the USB ports on it necessary? or is that only if i'm going for the super $ serato turntables?

any advice/help would be appreciated. i'd like to finish off purchases within the next few weeks. price range is low-medium, say $500-750 max, but i can take my time and get $1500+ over the next few extra checks from the day job. thanks in advance buds

DJ Matt
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
do i need a USB sound card?

the controller you posted is a denon mc6000, i have one of those

it has a USB soundcard in it

so, you do not need a seperate one