PDA

View Full Version : how to remove ttx1 platter

Johnblaze
07-02-2013, 12:04 AM
I just bought a used set of ttx1s and hear a slight scrubbing sound under the platter on one. I can't figure out how to get the platter off to check it out. If someone could help me out id appreciate it.

Nicadraus
07-02-2013, 12:38 AM
I just bought a used set of ttx1s and hear a slight scrubbing sound under the platter on one. I can't figure out how to get the platter off to check it out. If someone could help me out id appreciate it.

Pull the platter upward using the two holes while pushing the center spindle forward. If it still holds firmly, tap the spindle on the sides and top lightly with a hammer or pliers. Remember, just tap lightly until the platter comes loose.

Manu
07-02-2013, 02:59 AM
fingers in the holes, pull.

DTR
07-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Pull the platter upward using the two holes while pushing the center spindle forward. If it still holds firmly, tap the spindle on the sides and top lightly with a hammer or pliers. Remember, just tap lightly until the platter comes loose.

This. The platter has a conical socket which fits onto the matching conical spindle. This sort of connection can grip very strongly and is frequently used in industry (Morse Tapers)

Johnblaze
07-02-2013, 11:35 AM
I tried that. Do you have to whack it pretty hard? I don't wanna break it

Nicadraus
07-02-2013, 12:00 PM
I tried that. Do you have to whack it pretty hard? I don't wanna break it

If it still doesn't come off, try this...

Spray WD-40 on the spindle's sides, then use a soldering iron (60w) to heat up the spindle for about a minute. Then tap the spindle with the hammer on top with a light force repeatedly. That should do it.

Do NOT whack it.

BOWNSIR
07-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Have someone help you. One pulls the platter up, and the other *gently* taps on the spindle.

Manu
07-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Needs a fair amount of a pull, indexes in while thumbs are pushing the center out, not sure how to describe it, but the movement is a combination of strong, firm lift + one jerk up while lifting. Do not use the force Lu-.. John.

Boomcie
07-02-2013, 11:28 PM
TTX platters are on tight......like a magnet is holding it on. Just stick your fingers in the holes and pull HARD

Hausgeist
07-02-2013, 11:42 PM
TTX platters are on tight......like a magnet is holding it on. Just stick your fingers in the holes and pull HARD

This :stupid:

Estacy
07-03-2013, 02:40 AM
how could that be!

again, a firm tap with a screwdriver handle and pull hard. I would advise against WD40 since your platter is lubricated with fine sewing machine like oil. WD40 is not that

Nicadraus
07-03-2013, 11:14 PM
how could that be!

again, a firm tap with a screwdriver handle and pull hard. I would advise against WD40 since your platter is lubricated with fine sewing machine like oil. WD40 is not that

You can simply wipe off the excess WD-40 when the platter comes off. I do that method every time when the platter holds firmly and wouldn't come off by just tapping and pulling. A little spray wouldn't hurt.