PDA

View Full Version : Need Dmx controller

patrick5269
03-01-2012, 05:34 AM
I have got some Chauvet scanners and some NJD data moons all are DMX non led lights, I need a controller that will produce an automatic light show (I don't have time to sit and program a light show) I just need a controller with a built in light show, I don't know whether it is best to go down the usb dmx route (do their programs contain built in light shows?) Can anyone advise on the best thing to do?
Cheers

DJ M&M
03-01-2012, 08:07 AM
the point of getting dmx is to program shows, you will not find any pre programed shows because each fixture is different. Thats what sound mode is for.

LiteTrix
03-01-2012, 03:43 PM
I would recommend a software controller like Freestyler. There are many different dongles that work with Freestyler and the cheapest one is around $50. Like M&M said above me, your not going to find a controller that has built in programs for your lights unless Chauvet made a controller specifically for your scanners.

Couple of questions though...

What Chauvet scanners do you have?
What are NJD data moons?

By answering these questions, I might be able to come up with something that would work for your setup.

patrick5269
03-02-2012, 10:49 AM
The chauvet lights are Intimidators 250 watt version. The NJD data moons are a basic moonflower effect, both have built in programs and are sound activated and fully 512 DMX. I'm not using them in a DJ situation, I am using it for stage lighting for my band so I am not going to be able to have any hands on with the lighting, that's why I wanted a program I can just basically hit a button that will produce some kind of a show!
Thanks for your help

Synaxis
03-02-2012, 02:29 PM
The chauvet lights are Intimidators 250 watt version. The NJD data moons are a basic moonflower effect, both have built in programs and are sound activated and fully 512 DMX. I'm not using them in a DJ situation, I am using it for stage lighting for my band so I am not going to be able to have any hands on with the lighting, that's why I wanted a program I can just basically hit a button that will produce some kind of a show!
Thanks for your help\

Sorry, doesn't work that way. The point of DMX control is to have control over your lights and program your own shows specific to your needs.

Why not simply leave them in sound active or auto mode? Those modes usually have built in preset programs, which may also have the possibly of being triggered from a DMX controller.

One thing you can do, is buy a DMX controller, and just program a single scene that runs the automatic programs stored on the lights themselves.

Ntertainment
03-02-2012, 06:48 PM
\

One thing you can do, is buy a DMX controller, and just program a single scene that runs the automatic programs stored on the lights themselves.

Probably the most expensive way to do this very basic thing. In that case you might as well set them all to auto/ sound active, and have them set up to a power strip and flip them on and off as you please.

DJ M&M
03-02-2012, 09:53 PM
u might be able to get away with that for the moonflowers, but not scanners since they have a start up process

Ntertainment
03-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Not to argue, your right they have a start up time but it sounds like he wants a set it and forget it kind of set up and in that case, if he wanted the lights to stop it would be instant. Starting up would be a few seconds behind for nice lights, asuming he might ad them in the future.

DJStevieRay
03-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Blizzard's Eclipse DMX (http://www.blizzardlighting.com/index.php/eclipsedmx), has very easy to use and powerful Wizards for creating chase scenes for Scanners. You can download the software to try it out for free. You need to purchase the dongle to make it work with your scanners though.

Synaxis
03-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Probably the most expensive way to do this very basic thing. In that case you might as well set them all to auto/ sound active, and have them set up to a power strip and flip them on and off as you please.

Yes, but if the OP needs/wants to control when to blackout/resume, it's really the only way.

Can't do that in sound active mode, unless they are all ADJ lights with a UC3 controller, which they're not.

And as it's been mentioned, adding a simple on/off relay will always trigger the pre-operative test sequence.