PDA

View Full Version : Goin out to dj in IBIZA

andys1990
06-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Hi guys, I'm seriously debating going over to IBIZA next season (2014) or even late this season for a month or so to dj, I mainly play Tech/Deep House but also branch out to dropping some Funky House and Techno in my sets.
Just wondering how to go about getting a residency, who to contact and so on, would be muchly appreciated any information or tips you could offer, and i'm sure there's more dj's wondering.

Thanks

oddnumber
06-25-2013, 05:08 PM
they will be happy to hear from you. They are so understaffed and desperate to let anyone dj :P

...I mean good luck getting gig there

andys1990
06-25-2013, 08:00 PM
...I mean good luck getting gig there

Haha i Know man, thats why i'm starting planning early, no idea how to go about it to be honest. Hoping to hear from some members who have been over there dj'ing for a season before and how it came about i.e how they menaged to arrange a residency or trials before going out there.

Adzm00
06-26-2013, 05:24 AM
lol, I've only just got gigs out there and it has taken me 10 years to get to this point. I've DJ'd the biggest clubs in the UK, MoS, EGG etc. Unless you already have contacts or put on your own night there are always going to be far more experienced people with a foot in the door in front of you.

Mahatma Coat
06-26-2013, 05:36 AM
Mate, sorry I can't offer anything positive here but you're really having a complete laugh with this idea.

That is unless of course you're good friends with some Ibiza based promoters; or your personally friendly with one of the big Ibiza club owners; or you promote your own successful night that is popular enough to feature in the dance media; or you have released a record that shifted some serious units and got some reps from other popular, big name DJs.

Adzm00
06-26-2013, 05:42 AM
How long have you been DJing Andy?

andys1990
06-26-2013, 08:14 AM
haha lads i know i've not got a chance playing in the big clubs i'm not that deluded haha, I'm thinking more along the lines of bars down the westend strip

andys1990
06-26-2013, 08:16 AM
How long have you been DJing Andy?

for about a year, been playing out for the last 6 months

Adzm00
06-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Laughable that you are even playing in any kind of club setting after a year.

Although you might get away with it in west end, fuck that though, that is basically where all the scum gather, I'd hate that.

Probably ok though if you play guetta etc.

alazydj
06-26-2013, 10:41 AM
I've been racing in my Honda Civic Si for about two years now.

I think I'm ready for LeMans.

Adzm00
06-26-2013, 10:51 AM
I don't know how this even happens.

I guess it depends on the type of DJ and music you play. But playing techno, you don't even know what techno really is after one year, I should know because that is my chosen genre, and there is so much variety and history with the music I KNOW it is impossible to understand it to any great degree aftrer one year. The fact you want to mix sub-genres of this makes it even tougher, understanding the destinction between these is just the first part of it.

But honestly andy, some advice, don't be too quick to jump up and get out there, really learn your craft, take some pride in what you are trying to achieve, and don't go too early because once you have a bad rep, then it is difficult to shake. This isn't kevin and perry go to ibiza and there will be 1000 people in front of you, with more experience than you, who are probably better than you.

andys1990
06-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Fair point lads, Im probably over thinking things but as i said i didnt mean in a club was more looking towards a bar on the westend. I'd still be interested in hearing how people managed to get dj'in over there (in the westend) just out of interest for future reference

@Adzm00 good point about jump too early and getting a bad rep

Daniel S
06-27-2013, 03:08 AM
Adzm00, I don't find it laughable that somebody is DJing after one year. That's plenty of time to learn a lot. Also, just because you have been DJing only for one year doesn't mean you haven't been into the music for longer than that. How long you have been DJing is pretty much irrelevant, it's about your skills and how you use them to rock a party.

Having said that, as in most businesses, for landing a gig it's not so much about what you know and more about who you know. Hence you will hear a lot of crap DJs out there playing fairly big venues, just because they know the right people.

Adzm00
06-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Also, just because you have been DJing only for one year doesn't mean you haven't been into the music for longer than that. How long you have been DJing is pretty much irrelevant, it's about your skills and how you use them to rock a party.

DJing for a year, no matter how deluded you are about your skill level, you basically know nothing.

This is a classic case of people not knowing that they don't know something.

I don't really know how to look at it, because to me it screams that person just wants to be in the limelight and doesn't actually give a shit about the craft of DJing.

I find it ridiculous someone is playing out after even 2 years practice (unless they do practice for 5 or 6 hours every day), which comes on to your point of shit DJs playing out because they know someone, not because they are actually any good.

If you want to succeed, specifically in techno, not only do you need to know people, you need to be F'ing good, it's probably one of the most difficult genres to succeed in.

M!TCH
06-27-2013, 11:12 AM
I want to comment on the not knowing anything. I've listened to music forever and listened to house music for a few years before I started mixing. I started mixing three years ago and just now I am realizing how much I thought I knew that I did not. Not trying to be a dick here, it is just one of those things that comes with time spent in the craft.

Mahatma Coat
06-28-2013, 08:37 AM
:stupid:

Same as above, I've been DJing a few years now and it wasn't until I actually started to become good that I realised how shit I actually was.

There really is loads of stuff to learn and you just don't see this until you've been playing a while and your perception has adapted, everything from hearing errors, to learning how to buy music which suits your sets & style to your levels & EQs and etc etc.

I also don't think that people who say you can become a good DJ in a single year know what they're talking about.

OP, you'd be better off getting gigs in your local towns/cities, you're far more likely to actually get a spot to play, and then you can build your rep gradually like everyone else has to.

Failing that start a night, its not as hard as most people think, just takes some determination.

Adzm00
07-02-2013, 11:54 AM
I am flying out in 2 days though :D

Will take lots of photos for you all to be jelos over ;)

Baller95
07-02-2013, 12:04 PM
I am flying out in 2 days though :D

Will take lots of photos for you all to be jelos over ;)

Jelos? :lol:

andys1990
07-02-2013, 12:29 PM
haha nice one, where you playing at?

Adzm00
07-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah Baller, running joke from DJF1.0.

Andy, I am playing on a boat party, as part of my residency, which is usually only in London, if it goes well, there should be more. Will have to see how it pans out.

andys1990
07-02-2013, 12:40 PM
cool man, good luck with it hope it all pans out

Adzm00
07-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks mate

Grifff
07-18-2013, 08:53 AM
My mate has been DJing in one of the bars in the West End for the last few years. Can't remember the name, but its on the corner by the Subway.

I don't know how he got the job, I'll have to ask him

danny_bee86
08-05-2013, 01:43 PM
I have just come back from DJ'in Ibiza Rocks Hotel and on the W.A.R. Ship with Doorly. It is in no way easy to just walk into work over there. Where abouts have you been playing in the North West? I have been a DJ for 6 years and there is still tons of things to learn, I am hoping to set up my own nights over here now with the Ibiza Rocks experience behind my name.