PDA

View Full Version : Regular Macbook for Djing/Producing?

zallo
03-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Hello DJF,
I am currently on a budget for a new laptop and I came across a good deal in which I can get a Macbook (not pro) for a good price. I was just wondering if it would be good enough for my needs. Keep in mind I would be using this for live shows as I start to get more gigs.

I run Serato Itch
My tracks are always going to be stored & played externally (My flash drive or my external HD)
Recently got a Kontrol s2 for fun, So Im also going to run Traktor once in a while
For my producing needs I will be running Reason 5, Ableton 8 & Also most likely Reaper (Not all at once of course)
Maschine software

That's all i would basically be using if for. Here are the specs of the 13' Macbook.
2.1GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive, OSX Lion 10.7.2

I also came across another deal for a 15' Macbook Pro, Specs are
2.2 ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 gb ram, 120gb hard drive, OSX Lion 10.7.2

I am leaning a little bit more towards the 13' macbook because of the 4gb Ram, But Which one would be the better choice for me?

alazydj
03-01-2012, 01:07 AM
If the 15" is a unibody, I'd vote for that. Find 4 gigs of RAM and replace the 2 gigs in there.

zallo
03-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Just checked it out, Its not the Unibody

mostapha
03-01-2012, 07:43 AM
It'd be fine for DJing, except that you don't want to use an eternal…they're a lot easier to brake.

For production…it'd probably work okay. I was on a late 08 13" macbook, and it was running whatever I threw at it just fine…the only reason I upgraded was because the warranty was about to run out.

Now, I'm on a 2.3 GHz i5 13" pro and can run Maschine, Reason, and Logic together, though if my browser's flash player is loaded, that'll crash it. As long as flash isn't running, it runs them fine. I'm not sure about the differences between the last c2duos and the i5s, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too huge if you don't want all of them running together, though you kinda have to in order to use reason effectively.

The biggest unknown is Reaper. I've tried it a couple times but hated everything about it, so IHNFC how hard it is on resources. The computer should run Maschine just fine, and it beats Reason's system requirements (which are actually ridiculously lower than I expected).

It'd probably be fine. But, who are you buying it from? Could you return it if it's not quite fast enough?

zallo
03-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Unfortunately not I found them on craigslist