PDA

View Full Version : Library

Meer
06-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Just a quick question. I'm narrowing down my music collection at the moment. I started off with just songs that i wanted to mix then it grew and grew and grew and grew until i was mixing at a party last week and the whole lot with me (2 x 32 gb usb keys running through 2 x cdj 850) with me going whoaaaaaaDude thats way too much. Just looking to see how other people decide what to bring. I have all my bangers and my songs that i love but then obviously i have ta have a few transition songs and songs that arnt super banging for starting the party off .... so any tips are handy

disparate
06-20-2013, 09:50 AM
2x32GB is a lot of music, have you spent time listening to and getting to know it all? Nothing wrong with having a large library but you sound a bit overwhelmed.

If it helps, just think about the old days when most DJs would be limited to bringing one or two boxes of records and still played great sets.

Dix
06-20-2013, 10:23 AM
I have my music separated by folders depending on its use.

General folder: contains any music I may play or need to have ready for play at any gig, at any time, due to requests or any other reason.

Halloween music

Christmas Music

Christian or Gospel Music

Show tunes or TV themes

etc, etc.

While its not a perfect system & I would like to subdivide my general music into categories like country, Classic Rock, Pop, Hip Hop etc, that's not feasible for me since I play multiple genres nearly every gig. Also, most of the type music I play ends up with artists or groups like Elvis Presley that recorded almost every genre of music alive between the 1950's to the 1970's. So, its hard to place an artist in a specific category. As well, we have so many songs that are "crossover" songs that were hits in multiple genre's. I have found it better to just load everything in general music in one folder & I have it right there when I need it. If I don't need it, then no harm.
I understand its a lot of music to thumb through but, It gives me a wide range of music to choose from & sometimes, one song will remind me of another song that will fit just right, right here. Maybe, because I am just used to using it like this but I just cant find a reason to change it, that's more beneficial than what I am using now.... as much as I would like to minimize my library.

de.j.l
06-20-2013, 10:39 AM
I just have my tracks sorted by genres and then bpm and key within the folder. Do not be afraid to break the rules of the camelot system though software is generally found to be 60-75% accurate, maybe it has improved lately but you would be surprised at how well tracks blend that by the rules of camelot, shouldn't blend well together.

When sorted by genre I find you need to remind yourself to switch through folders, or have an idea of how you want to set your mix together because the same genre for an hour gets boring as hell to me.

Meer
06-20-2013, 10:56 AM
I have them all done by genre it's House,deep,tech,dub.trap,commercial,mainstream,shi te(stuff i hate but everyone wants) electro, progressive,breaks etc ... but im 23 now have music that i still love from when i was 11. Im just trying to narrow down what i play. An most stuff i play i know inside and out. Like ive listened to my whole electro folder last weekend to narrow down what to play but then i was like nah not that sonf -- but i really like that song --- oh ok. And this process went on till my new collection was basically the same as the last bar a few tunes ive grown to hate or have heard to much

Im doing doing because im not playing for me an my mates now im on the next leg a the journey and have ta think that what i think is banging might not be what the crowd thinks is banging

alazydj
06-20-2013, 11:04 AM
I use genre folders inside of iTunes.

Inside of those folders are smart playlists that are tagged for genre and comment tags.

But usually I'll also make playlist crates inside iTunes with around 50 to 100 tracks I'd like to play for an hour or two.

The best thing to do is a little research on djtechtools.com digitaldjtips.com and this very forum (use the search function). From there you should make YOUR library work for YOU :)

Meer
06-20-2013, 11:14 AM
The best thing to do is a little research on djtechtools.com digitaldjtips.com and this very forum (use the search function). From there you should make YOUR library work for YOU :)

Sire you have inspired me