PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJ Difficult vs xs2man vs Rad vs DougMore - Deep/Tech House VINYL battle

JonAvalon
06-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Mix 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/djdifficult-vs-xs2man-vs-rad-vs-dougmore-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/djdifficult-vs-xs2man-vs-rad-vs-dougmore-2.mp3)

Mix 3 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/djdifficult-vs-xs2man-vs-rad-vs-dougmore-3.mp3)

Mix 4 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/djdifficult-vs-xs2man-vs-rad-vs-dougmore-4.mp3)

Rules:
20-30 mins
No dvs, just real vinyl!
No audio editing

alazydj
06-20-2013, 11:01 AM
As always. Rep to the voters!

DJ Difficult
06-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Good luck guys! No all we need is some voters.

Rad
06-21-2013, 04:18 AM
Really like your mixes guys, hope to get some voters / feedback !
Of course, rep to every voter.

alazydj
06-22-2013, 10:50 AM
BUMP FOR VOTES.

Support the vinyl style!

Dharry
06-22-2013, 01:33 PM
not pro critique but i can tell what sounds good..im going to listen to the mixes at intervals and comment after i listen to each one, editing as i go along and then vote once im done...

Mix 1....like the intro and how the instrumentals are introduced , tempo is maintained throughout and the energy is good. Solid skillful mixing and overall quality sound....good job!

Mix 2.....interesting intro, didn't know what expect from the mix. Really liked how the mix develops and the tempo. Good energy and great vocals. Great mixing skills and good quality sound again.....another good job!

Mix 3.....gets straight into with an upbeat tempo that continues throughout. I have an idea what to expect from the mix and it was as i expected. The overall feel is good and good use of skills but no suprises..not keen on the vocals...some parts (at 5.00 ish for example) would have sounded great with some soulfull vocals. Good job though.

Mix 4.....tempo picks up at the start with an interesting intro. I actually loved the intro and looked forward to hearing more of the same as the mix progressed. Good mixing skills although the mix didn't progress as i expected and the feel changed for me, the intro being quite different to the rest of it. Just personal preference for me though and not a reflection on the mixing etc.

My vote goes to mix 2.....I found it an interesting mix that flows well. Confident use of skills creating a mix that has a unique sound and feel to it. I loved the tempo and how it builds up. Great vocals that are hauntingly soulful.
This mix kept my interest as i closed my eyes, got into it and enjoyed.
Real well done!

Well done to all and good luck with the comp.

DJ Difficult
06-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Thanks for voting. Would give you rep but i'm all out of it. Will pass it as soon it's possible!

xs2man
06-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Rep given. Cheers for taking the time to listen to them all and voting. Much appreciated.

Dharry
06-23-2013, 07:47 AM
your welcome guys and thanks for the reps...i do hope more people listen and vote. Each mix is individually good and well worth the time and the listen :)

Rad
06-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Thanks for listening and feedback, rep given.

alazydj
06-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Bump it UP! :badger:

alazydj
06-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Ghost vote :(:twhack:

Hausgeist
06-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Awe hell, you know that was Mix #3 voting for themselves. :hahano:

alazydj
06-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Mix 3 actually.

Hausgeist
06-25-2013, 11:41 AM
What? :P

alazydj
06-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Sneeeeeaky edit there ;)

xs2man
06-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Had this before on a battle here. But it was worse. One accountable vote, 2 ghost votes. I lost as my accounted for vote was less than the 2 ghost votes. Annoying. But you never know, could the ghost voter please at least give us something? I mean, presumably you put in the 2 hours to listen to all the mixes, so you could spare 2 minutes to say why you voted...

Baller95
06-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Damn that's annoying!

DJ Difficult
06-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Yep, ghost voter, please turn yourself in. If you don't have any technical feedback to give, tha okay. But please please tell us why you did vote number 3.
Anoying indeed :jt:

Adzy
06-25-2013, 04:50 PM
listening my way through, i will vote soon(ish) and drop some feedback :)

xs2man
06-27-2013, 01:40 AM
Big Ask... More votes bump...

Rad
06-27-2013, 01:52 AM
What do you guys think about giving feedback on each others mixes if there's no more than one or two (accounted for) votes when the poll closes ?

DJ Difficult
06-27-2013, 03:00 AM
Okay for me.
I thought that this kind of a battle would get little more attention. But no, all electrohousetop40 battles made by controllers are getting votes. No love for vinyl anymore?

Not saying that I got something against controllers or mainstream music but still..

xs2man
06-27-2013, 03:51 AM
I like that idea rad. I'm happy to feedback other mixes.

Not really surprised there aren't more votes tbh. 2 hours of listening, coupled with assessing and writing feedback is a big ask. Might have been better in tournament form with play-offs. At least then it's not such a bulk of time per session. And there would be 2 play off winners, lol.

Rad
06-27-2013, 06:18 AM
True, I also think it's mostly because this is a four way battle and nothing to do with genre or the fact that it's vinyl.

I did hope more people would be interested because of it being vinyl though.
Nothing against other formats, but at least we know everybody here has a very similar setup. With other battles you never know how much visual aids there are for each mix.

hoff
06-27-2013, 10:25 AM
I'll be listening over the weekend and casting my vote :)

props to vinyl.. definitely takes a whole different level of skill nd knowledge for the music to pull off a good mix.

micha28
06-27-2013, 10:36 AM
This music is not my style but when i listen the 4th mix then i change my thought to a nice lounge bar at cyprus where i was on holiday
Im still for sure that if you can play vinyl that you are really a good Dj i can,t play them i pratice some times very difficult for me but never to old to learn :-)

my vote is for mix 4

Baller95
06-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Okay for me.
I thought that this kind of a battle would get little more attention. But no, all electrohousetop40 battles made by controllers are getting votes. No love for vinyl anymore?

Not saying that I got something against controllers or mainstream music but still..

The issue is how long the listening time for this battle is opposed to the other ones.

Rad
06-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Thank for listening and voting Micha, rep given.

xs2man
06-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah, thanks for listening and voting. Rep given. Appreciated.

Adzy
06-27-2013, 03:16 PM
ok, all the mixes had nice blends i would say. for me mix 4 had the best track selection although a few mixes were slightly off. the intro to 2 was a well selected track for a deep house mix. The energy of 3 was good although as i think was said it would have been nice to hear a few vocals. it was a real tough decision but i have made my vote :) nice one guys!

xs2man
06-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks for voting. Rep given...

DJ Difficult
06-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks for voters! Rep+

Yeah, I know this is a big job to listen 2hours but when I started this battle there was so soon 4 competitors so it kind a exploited to pretty big.

Rad
06-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks for listening and voting Adzy, and rep given of course.

Adzy
06-27-2013, 04:18 PM
no problem gang :tup:

Delta V
06-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Hopefully going to get through these before voting closes. Love vinyl, love older deep house so this is right up my alley, even thought about entering but I don't like more than 2 DJs in a battle.

Mix 1: really good beatmatching throughout I thought, nice work on the "You Are Sleeping" acapella. Like the tune at 19:00. Okay mixing is really nice but gettin sick of that you are sleeping tune. Great outro tune.

Mix 2: Alright first tune, niiice second tune (Mara - One ?). Too quick out of that one I think, and slightly off. Haha I have this record too, this mix feels a lot more trancey than the first. Again I think you're mixing too quickly out of your tunes here with the nest one. Great ending tune. Beatmixing wasn't as good as the first but the flow and tunes were nice.

Mix 3: Very housey opening, like it. First mix sounded pretty good and it sounded like you held them together for a long time.
If this tune is any indication this mix is gonna be the houseyest one yet, 1 felt tribally, 2 felt trancey, this is a little funkier. All god in their own ways. Next mix felt shorter than the first but was on point, continuing the groove here. I may be totally wrong but the tunes feel a little more recent in this mix.

Mix 4: Another great opening. Mixing was good similar skill to mix 3. Great track selection.

Gonna go with Mix 1, I felt it was the cleanest technically.

micha28
06-28-2013, 08:32 AM
thanks rad and xs2man youre welcome

hoff
07-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Gunna comment as I listen to keep my thoughts organized..

Mix 1: loved this mix. very old school underground vibe. nice and dark and bassy. very clean beatmatching. quite impressed, it will be hard to beat this one. whoever made this has to pm me the tracklist. Definitely more of a tech vibe in this mix.

Mix 2: I have to agree with delta on this one, definitely felt more like trance than deep or tech. there was something very euro about this one. overall a good mix, but not quite as clean as the first. song selection wasn't to my taste so much either.

Mix 3: This was a great deep mix. Really was diggin some of the tracks, especially the one around 10min. Solid beatmatching, no real complaints. Maybe not quite as perfect or drawn out as mix 1, but they worked well for the tracks used. Would also like to get the tracklist for this one.

Mix 4: Amazing intro track. The track selection in this was stellar. When add arp came in it kinda sealed the deal for me. That's been one of my favourite tracks for a year since it came out. The mixing overall was good, not quite as good as some of the others, but it was definitely the track selection that got me here. Nice groovy and weird vibes. Nice mix of tunes. Get me the tracklist asap!!!

Great mixes, 1, 3 and 4 all had me torn over voting, but when a mix brings in your favourite track that not many people know about it changes things.

Great job everyone!

Rad
07-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Thanks a lot for voting and detailed feedback Hoff.

As for rep, well I already tried to rep you for your driving techno mix and that didn't work, and it still doesn't work here.
How does this rep system work anyway, do you have to rep x number of other members first or is it a matter of time ?

hoff
07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks a lot for voting and detailed feedback Hoff.

As for rep, well I already tried to rep you for your driving techno mix and that didn't work, and it still doesn't work here.
How does this rep system work anyway, do you have to rep x number of other members first or is it a matter of time ?

It's definitely not time because most of the time I can't even remember the last time I repped someone I'm trying to rep when it tells me I gotta spread more around. I get the whole idea of preventing rep spam but common, I haven't been able to rep anybody voting in my driving techno battle who's taken the time to listen n vote, kinda absurd.

Rad
07-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Wow, just wow, I did not even think I had a chance of winning this. I was mix 4.

Delta, thanks for listening and voting, you clearly know house music. Rep given.

I still think all three other mixes are technically better mixed (beat-matched) than mine, maybe that's partly because I know the tracks in my own mix very well, but still.

here is what I thought about the other mixes:

Mix 1: easily the most skillful mix I think. The music flows well, mixing is spot on, and you used the acapella nicely, even some scratching, right ? (please confirm) Downside was that I think the drug - acapella was over used, it was just a few times too many.

Mix 2: very nice intro, trancy mix, technically well done, I think I could hear some pitch bending a few times, but nothing distracting.

Mix 3: more varied than the other two, sometimes I do not like mixes to be more varied in style, but here it worked very well. Liked the classic piano sounds at around 3 min in and especially the dubby track around the 16 minute mark. The mixing (keeping the beats locked) was a little less than mix nr 1 and 2, but (again) still better than mine I think.

If I had voted on this it would probably have been for mix number one.

My tracklist was:
Troglodytes - Julio Bashmore
101 - Breach & Midland
Relaxation Is A Skill (Club Mix) - catz n Dogz
FLo Jam - Dusky
Add Arp - Jay Shepheard, Catz N Dogz remix
Though Motion - Midland
Right Reason - Jay Shepheard
Bassline Soldiers - Nice7
Hiphouse - Kabale und Liebe & Lauhaus

DJ Difficult
07-02-2013, 02:11 AM
Thanks to all voters and rep to all!
I was mix#3 and I only got that one ghost vote :lol:
Congrats to Rad! Well done. I will comment other mixes later this day.

xs2man
07-02-2013, 03:19 AM
Well done guys. More votes on this than it was looking like getting at the start.

Congratz Rad. Great mix, and a deserved winner. At least every mix got a vote too (ghost vote or not, lol).

I was mix 2. Probably the worst mix, technically, of the lot. And no doubt the oldest track selection there too. I threw it down too quickly. I had just got back onshore, and didn't want to hold up proceedings any further than I already had. So didn't spend enough time trying to beatmatch, or re-do the mix, or even selecting tracks, just flicked through the collection on the fly, picking tracks I haven't listened to in 10+ years, lol. Surprised I even got a vote to be fair. Thanks.

As for track selection, yes, Mara One was one of the tracks. I was digging into some of my classic "off cd's" tracks, so most of them were on some cd release around 10-20 years ago, lol. I think Mara One was from '99?

Anyway, other mixes were great. Noticed the scratching too, well played sir. Surprised you didn't get more votes.

Will listen to them all again, and give a quick run down of my thoughts anyway. And rep everyone I can later...

Dharry
07-02-2013, 06:19 AM
Well done Rad! So who was mix 2?

xs2man
07-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Sorry, my mistake. Taking credit for work that wasn't mine.

I was mix 2. Edited my post above. Oops...

DJ Difficult
07-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Listened your mixes 2nd time and I don't got nothing new to give on this thread.
#1 was most skilled mix with nice acapella / scratching. Although I too think that little less of that vocal sample and it would be perfect. But nice tunes, different then my and flawless mixing. Good job!
#2 was a little bit on / off to me. Some tracks were definetly nice and older. But that's not a bad thing, hell no! Too many people just spins recent tracks and forget that there was music before last year too. Also there's shown how house music had developed in last decade.
Most trancey mix endeed and few beatmatching mistakes but hey! It's from vinyl! There is supposed to little drifting! But like I said, I didn't like all those tracks.
#4 Had best track selection for my taste. And although few transitions where pretty quick fade outs, it was good mixing! Deserved win! Biggest thing with vinyl for me is that real digging and that effort (and money) you have to but in before you got that perfect track on your platter. No digital digging can ever match that!

Thank you guys for this battle. It was very enjoyable! Rep for you all!

alazydj
07-05-2013, 08:40 AM
I was mix one. (I'll edit this post after work with opinions on everyone else's mix, and a track list)

But yeah, I literally spent hours and hours re-recording the set to tighten the beatmatching up. The one time I do great matching is also the one time I over use the vocal :P (got into the zone too much).

I can't wait for the next vinyl only battle :)

hoff
07-05-2013, 08:42 AM
I was mix one. (I'll edit this post after work with opinions on everyone else's mix, and a track list)

But yeah, I literally spent hours and hours re-recording the set to tighten the beatmatching up. The one time I do great matching is also the one time I over use the vocal :P (got into the zone too much).

I can't wait for the next vinyl only battle :)

impressive shit man, you definitely have wicked beatmatching skillz