PDA

View Full Version : Using CDJ 2000 Nxs to thier best!

havoc
06-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Hi,

I started getting into djing when i was about 11 and got my first set of TT 1520's when i was about 12.. I have worked my way through TT 100's, 1210'S and pretty bog standard citronic cd decks.
Im now 26 having done a bit of djing at local clubs etc, I mainly do it as a hobby but have treated myself to a set of 2000 Nexus' . I have always wanted a set of CDJ's but never been in a position to buy a pair.

Anyway for now i still have my old numark em 260 mixer with the CDJ's .

Now i have only had them a few days so still getting into how to use them and all the features etc..
I mix mainly dance music ( electro house ) and just want to get the most out of the CDJ's.. In terms of using all their capabilities and functions.

Anyone else mix similar music and have any sound clips / videos of really utilizing the decks to thier best..

Thanks

jz416
06-19-2013, 07:45 AM
pioneer DJ sounds show, but most of the episodes ive seen have been house more than electro hosue.

laidback luke 2012 is pretty sick.

alazydj
06-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Kissy Sell Out has dope sets on Pioneer DJ Sounds Show.

I agree with JZ here.

dj daywalker
06-20-2013, 09:28 PM
well first you have to organize all your music by genre then key, then you have to set hot cues and hot loops for every single one of your tracks, and then you have to get lots of acapellas, then you have to get 2 more cdjs. I am still getting the hang of it myself but here is some stuff i recorded a few weeks ago

https://soundcloud.com/dj_daywalker/dj-daywalker-4-deck-test-mix

havoc
06-21-2013, 09:00 AM
well first you have to organize all your music by genre then key, then you have to set hot cues and hot loops for every single one of your tracks, and then you have to get lots of acapellas, then you have to get 2 more cdjs. I am still getting the hang of it myself but here is some stuff i recorded a few weeks ago

https://soundcloud.com/dj_daywalker/dj-daywalker-4-deck-test-mix

Listening now.. Sounds good man!!!

Do you think that the hot cues are mostly useful with acapellas then?? Do you use them to add some vocal clips etc ontop of the standard track??

Anyway, will have a good play on them this weekend!

Thanks

havoc
06-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Also where do you get your tracks from?? I use mostly dj city and beatport..

dj daywalker
06-21-2013, 11:31 AM
i buy mainly from beatport and for my house traxsource.

I have also edited all of my acapellas, and many of my tracks. Editing the acapellas help a lot because you can get the part that you actually want.

I use hot cues for everything. I literally have 3 for almost every track. Also hot loops. Those are mainly what I use for acapellas. so it just loops a phrase and I can kill it when needed. Thats also what you hear when I am mixing a loop of a super popular riff (like reload for example) over something else. You just set the loop you want and then click the hot cue and you will have a saved loop.

I usually set a hot loop thats a phrase long starting 2 phrases before the drop or breakdown, then a hotcue at the breakdown, then maybe the second breakdown, or sometimes at the vocal sample right before the drop.

havoc
06-24-2013, 05:02 AM
When you say you edit your tracks in what way do you edit them?? Extended intros etc???

Do you tend to mix in a track, maybe loop it etc, then when you want to drop it hit the hot cue if that makes sense? So for example you have a hot cue set like you say 2 phrases before the drop, then your mixing in the next track and then when you want to drop it you hit the hot cue ..

Im still getting used to using all these hot cues etc..

Thanks for the advice.. Do you have any videos / youtube clips of your mixing ???

dj daywalker
06-24-2013, 12:57 PM
When I edit them I may do a variety of things. The main thing is edit out awkward silence. Some tracks will have a full phrase or half phrase of nearly silence during a breakdown. That may be fine if you are playing a festival in front of 10,000 people but in a club setting it will kill the mood. Sometimes tracks have too long of a drop, especially house/tech house. Sometimes they will go on for more than 2 minutes with out much change.

I do the 2phrases before loop because I can hit the hot loop, then mix the track in/beatmatch it, then when I am ready I can turn the loop off so the track will continue playing and there will be one more phase till the drop or breakdown. I dont need to do extended intros because I can just set one of these hot loops and the intro will loop forever.

I've had quite a few video requests, I will get a gopro soon, and probably record some mixes as well as do tutorials.

Adzm00
07-16-2013, 07:16 AM

No you don't, you have to organise it how is best for your workflow. Organisation by genre is a perfect start, but then after that it is down to you. Personall I do genre, then artist because I don't need some computer programme to tell me what song I should be mixing next.

Tbh though, for the nexus, use USB sticks, and as suggested put it through rekordbox, if you plan your sets then you put in your hot cues and loops otherwise mess about with the music you have and understand where you need to put these loop/cue points.

Looping is pretty much spot on even if you cock up the timing as the tracks are analysed in rekordbox for use with the CDJ.

dj daywalker
08-04-2013, 10:35 PM
When I am mashing up 3 tracks and need to add a 4th I don't have time to be messing around with artist names.

Andrew B
08-04-2013, 10:57 PM
When I am mashing up 3 tracks and need to add a 4th I don't have time to be messing around with artist names.

Seriously?

dj daywalker
08-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Seriously?

well frequently I will be using a main track, and acapella, and possibly a loop of some sort or another track, when the main track hits the second drop I need to start mixing another one in.