PDA

View Full Version : Non dance music mixing

Meer
06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Alright. Just a quick question. I had to do a gig the other day and it was the first one i did where people wanted non dance music i.e recession i need money playing gigs i normaly wouldnt. However there is no structure to the songs no intro outro etc. Are there any tips and tricks used for this or would it be better scraping the decks and just using vdj at an event like this. The transitions are all very short either being cross-faded or echoed into one another. or reverse filtered into each other the only problem is ya cant do this every song an i needs to do more a these to get money up for college so any tips on chart transitions would be much appriciated

alazydj
06-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Radio fade dude. That's all you need.

Only fade out early during the chorus.

Meer
06-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Radio fade dude. That's all you need.]

So its literally that simple .... Ive been over thinking this to bits

JackStalk
06-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Yeah I'll usually just fade into the next track. If there isn't a rigid setlist, I'll arrange the songs so they flow somewhat harmonically and the tempo feels the same.

Meer
06-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Yeah I'll usually just fade into the next track. If there isn't a rigid setlist, I'll arrange the songs so they flow somewhat harmonically and the tempo feels the same.

So would you arrange your set list depending on key?

JackStalk
06-18-2013, 12:56 PM
I wouldnt specifically look to match everything perfectly, especially for a mobile gig. I've seen my share of mobile DJs that don't beatmatch at all and even some bar/top40 DJs that do the radio fade. I usually select my tracks mostly on the fly, so while the three minute track is currently playing I'll be cueing up the other tracks and choosing the one that sound the best after it. It's pretty straight forward really. I still strive for as seamless a transition that I can, but you don't have to lose sleep over it.

alazydj
06-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Also, try to leave a comment for some of the songs that indicates if there is a natural fade or a cold stop.

Most radio stations do this so that you know if you can do a fade in or just slam into the next track.

Meer
06-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Also, try to leave a comment for some of the songs that indicates if there is a natural fade or a cold stop.

Most radio stations do this so that you know if you can do a fade in or just slam into the next track.

I cant leave comment's. i use 850's and a djm 800 all of it done by ear no visual's. I do it through the college and there anti controller so when representing them it has to be the cdjs .. . . . there in lies the problem.

Unless do you mean leave comments beside it's name in my cd wallet

alazydj
06-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I meant tagging the file. It's not a big deal at all (if you know your tracks well). It's helpful for Radio style when you usually play until the end.

Anti-Controllerism/Anti-DVS is stupid.

Meer
06-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I meant tagging the file. It's not a big deal at all (if you know your tracks well). It's helpful for Radio style when you usually play until the end.

Anti-Controllerism/Anti-DVS is stupid.

I use both saving for ddj at the moment :D and then ill be falling off the planet. I normally just memerise significant places i can transition and count phrase's from there to know when to cue in the next song for a clean mix. But i cant do that when i get told here ya have to do this gig by the way they want the killer's, the script, rhianna and a bit a deep house the chill stuff. The deep house was grand but couldnt play that till the end of the night. That chart stuff i dont listen to and only has about an 8 second window from start to vocal/vocal to finish. So i think you lads are right with the fade

alazydj
06-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Word.

Also, for reference. I'm reading all of your posts in a bad Irish accent. ;)

Meer
06-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Word.

Also, for reference. I'm reading all of your posts in a bad Irish accent. ;)
I'm after falling around the place after reading that. HAHAHA i hope your doing the right accent i have a scauldy inner city one "Here tomo go the shop and get us some sweets will ya bud"
:D :D