PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning your gear; how and how often?

fat8ack
02-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Just wonder how you guys clean you gear. What do you use, how often, do's and don'ts. I use a laptop and controller and some studio monitors, plus some other controllers to run Tracktor from time to time. When I do see dust though I use a feather duster on my controllers and computer duster on my laptop. Then maybe once a week or so I have some computer wipes I use on everything. I also have a PA, but it does not get out to much because it is rarely needed so stays brand new.

Still post up no matter what you equipment though; TT's, mobile gear, lights, MPC's, CDJ's, mixers, PA's.....whatever, you gotta keep you rig and it components clean and nice because it cost too damn much to not take care of.

Discuss.......

mostapha
02-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Mostly, I dust things. And keep them dry. I use fader lube on faders and pots if/when they start acting up. I have a brush for my styli and another for my records (CV or real).

Mostly, it's just about keeping dust out of electronics, IME. I should probably invest in turntable covers, but they're really expensive compared to paper towels.

Manu
02-29-2012, 02:16 PM
I use beach towels and wash the dust off regularly. If you smoke, I do recommend not smoking in where your gear is,so dust don't stick to it. In the same angle, don't setup in a kitchen, it's worse(grease stick a lot more than nicotine).

Schreiber
02-29-2012, 03:02 PM
For my speakers & lights, I usually just dust them. If they've got anything on them, I take a paper towel with 409 to them. For my controller, I unscrew it & take everything apart. I soak the knobs in soapy water while I get any dust out of the casing. I then dry the knobs & put it all back together.

Jason Cerna
02-29-2012, 03:29 PM
always weekly, the day after a show. after that, it goes back in the case.

drzinc
02-29-2012, 03:41 PM
My amps and stuff are in a rack so the don't get too dirty. The other stuff gets windexed.

de.j.l
02-29-2012, 03:47 PM
dust, sometimes I spray the dust off with a aircan sometimes I use a towel, back into their cases(most of the time) sometimes they just sit on a shelf waiting to get used again. Depends if I am gigging or not.
as for my mixer, I don't really do much. rane mixer... don't really feel like I have to do much other then air the dust off from time to time..

Gjhowe1
02-29-2012, 03:57 PM
I live in a dusty building, I find the swiffer approach to be good for removing dust. Dust covers are also a life saver.

g-sep
02-29-2012, 04:04 PM
When I first got my tech's, I did the whole cleaning with q-tips and 100% rubbing alcohol. Now its a dusting, sometimes taking the platter off and getting under there, making sure the contacts for the carts are clean, pitch fader gets a shot of air too.

Carts get brushed and/or set on a magic eraser, gently! (pro tip from smashy :tup:)

Vinyl gets the dry brush and then wet if they are grimey.

Mixer gets dusted and blown out with compressed air.

fueledbymusic
02-29-2012, 07:34 PM
typically I get a small clean bath towel. Soak it in water. Squeeze out the towel. Then use the damp towel. Works good for me. But for my Yamaha tops, once in a while when dust starts collecting inside the grille, I remove the grille and dust off the speaker

Ravi Ravs Singh
02-29-2012, 08:47 PM
When it's too dirty, I grab my the T Shirt I have on and wipe clean my records and shit!

For the records it would be more often than the gear...

DjZzeless
03-01-2012, 12:26 AM
I dust every other day with an aircan, and a clean diaper!

Ferryman
03-01-2012, 02:25 AM
With my production hardware, slightly (and I mean 'slightly') damp cloth just to lift the dust off.

With my decks, dust covers usually do the job but a blast of compressed air in the fader control every now and again for good measure. Again, slightly damp cloth for dust and a damp cotton bud for nooks and crannies.

Vinyl? Good old vinyl cloth does the job and for needles, I have a needle brush - one of those mascara looking things with cleaning fluid in them.

digi16v
03-01-2012, 03:26 PM
I keep everyhting under and towel but I do use a swiffer from time to time to remove the dust from when Im playing.
should invest in some TT covers.
:P

sneakyp
03-02-2012, 04:41 AM
Dusting generally.

I bought a compressed air can but read somewhere not to use it with CDJs, so am now apprehensive about using it on anything!

Liam
03-02-2012, 04:59 AM
I have OCD so this thread is right up my street..

I clean my gear every second or third day.

To get all the dust off i use a microfibre cloth (soft one) or a feather duster depending on where on the equipment is.

I'm an electronics engineer by trade so my Techs get serviced every six months or so.

My list is:

KRK's
DJM700
CDJ1000 mk3's
2 Tech 1200's
2 Tech 1210's
Uberstand
Macbook
Macbook Pro

So the cleaning/servicing can take some time!

dlove
03-02-2012, 06:35 AM
I've never done this, but it looks mad

_gyvipBs6Vs

windspeed36
03-02-2012, 06:37 AM
For me (keeping in mind I also run a hire company)

Mics if I can each time they're used the guards get cleaned in hot soapy water and then dried immediately

Mixers - dust ill wipe off however about once a month i'll get out a low pressure air compressor that a friend got me which is designed for cleaning out computers and servers

Speakers - just wipe 'em down.

Lighting - all sorts, wipe off the dust, glasses cleaner and a static free cloth to clean the lenses on the movers.

PARCANS and other stuff about every 3-6 months i'll repaint them if they begin to show various signs of wear and tear. I'm havent needed to yet but if needed i'll fix up the Duraflex on the JBL's I've got.