PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Back-up Equipment

Jonno Soccio
02-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Can anyone share any experiences of times they have had to call on their back-up equipment when something has failed? Or
any tips for useful backups for the various types of equipment?

I'm interested because i'm new to the mobile game and have a number of weddings booked this spring/summer, some for friends,
some not. At the moment I have no back-up equipment whatsoever.

My Pioneer mixer is solid and working well but is getting on a bit now and I can see it giving up the ghost in the next few years. I
might buy a cheap solid second hand mixer (maybe a vestax) on ebay for emergencies.

If my lap-top fails I can call on my turntables for a less than ideal back-up but I don't have any current wedding stuff on vinyl,
just the classics. Plus turntables are always a bit of a risk, especially on bouncy dancefloors/marquees. (At one previous wedding
I could not play my vinyl at all because of jumping needles, thank god the lap-top held up).

Because of this I am planning to take an i-pod filled with back-ups of the wedding crate, just in case the lap-top fails. I know this
option is far from ideal.. Anyone else do this or do you generally have a second lap-top?

If my speakers go, I am screwed but they are only a month old and "should" be fine. In an ideal world I would have quality back-ups
for each piece of equipment but this is not realistic for me yet and so interested in what everyone else does, or just to hear about
times when it has gone horribly wrong that I can try and learn from!

Midspot
02-29-2012, 11:31 AM
I carry a full backup set of gear for everything. Only needed a speaker once about ten years ago and a mixer from time to time when it was acting funny.

I carry the extra equipment more for the ability to choose the right tool for the job.

DJMC
02-29-2012, 11:34 AM
I always carry my backup console (a Rane MP-24z & Denon DND-2400f in a SKB Shuttle case).
My backup speakers are a pair of Eon 10 g2's on tripods. They are only 180w but are plenty loud for ceremonies, and 2 of them are more than loud enough to replace one PRX 512m (a main speaker).

Having 2 systems will give you the ability to quote Ceremony+Reception events, where 2 systems are needed at same location!

In my case-- the back-up console is probably deployed 20+ times annually, which makes it more than worth having the stuff around.

Sween
02-29-2012, 01:37 PM
You need a backup plan for every single piece of equipment.

I have had all of the following crap out on me at some point in the last 3 years:

1. PC crashed
2. Wireless Mic stopped working for mysterious reason (and then worked an hour later...)
3. Sound Card went kaput
4. Controller died (Denon DN-S1200)
5. RCA Input snapped off of mixer
6. USB port on Mac stopped working
7. Dropped a light and broke bulb
8. Dropped a light and broke lens (Revo 3)
9. Lighting switch went bad and would not turn on

1--I had another PC ready to go... and an iPod to bridge the gap for a song. (Now I use Mac)
2--I have 2 wireless mics, and 3 wired.
3--I had to switch back to my old DJ-I/O card
4--Had to play on one deck for the rest of the night.
5--Had to use adapters to input in TRS
6--Luckily I have 3 usb ports on my Mac
7--Spare bulbs
8--Thankfully I had a tool kit and managed to open it and repair it
9--Substituted a different light

Jonno Soccio
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Yeah, the lap-top or the soundcard going is my biggest fear. I can definitely see how this could easily happen. Had to replace my HD recently after dropping my lap-top. Luckily it wasn't at a gig....

I'm going to make sure I have some sort of back-up for everything, although they will not be ideal options. I sincerely hope I don't have to DJ from an I-pod if my lap-top dies - not very professional!

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-29-2012, 01:54 PM
I have a backup of almost everything including a laptop. I had an issue last year at a sweet 16. 1 hour before the party i had everything ready to go, started sound check and my comp wouldnt start up...45 minutes later the party was suppose to start so I hooked my ipad and ipod into channels 2 and 3 and mixed from that until my pc started up. Turns out my usb drives couldnt handle all the equipment plugged in (Akai, dicers, serato, hard drive). Next day I bought a new laptop and a spare. The only backup equipment I dont have is my 1200s... My plan has always been using the ipod/ipad but its kinda annoying so I may buy another 2 1200s (at least thats what I tell the wife so I can have 4 tables lol). I even keep 4 extra stylus in my coffin

Stirred
02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Learn how to do this too... solves a turntable failure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfDzti-P2hA

bumpyjonas
02-29-2012, 11:34 PM
I have a complete back system ready to go: consists of :
laptop, Denon MC 6000, a pair of K12’s, 2 shure wired mics, 2nd external hard drive, and TTM57 mixer.

RodneyL
03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
I have wired mic backups to my wireless. Double speakers (i have had one go out on me before, I use a powered setup) as well as double laptops. I keep both up and turned on during gigs in case of an emergency, I can switch between easily.

Chay
03-02-2012, 06:34 AM
I've backed up my old Toshiba laptop before it died due to heat (I was gaming on it for many, many hours before). I was able to get all my music out of my hard drive along with my documents that I had at the time. Ever since, I've made back ups of my desktop and laptop :)

Ampedproductions
03-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Had a powered speakers input go.... popped in a Wharfedale Titan powered 8 (found a pair cheap on CL) and was good to go.

Definitely not ideal but we always run a sub, and it was a small hall.

Might get told off... But for a backup set of speakers.... take a look at the Behringer B212D's. Went to the city last weekend and was playing with some powered speakers at AXE music, and Wow they blew me away, Loud and Clear, Small and light (31 lbs i think)

Picked up a pair brand new for <$500. Gonna try them out next weekend.

pumpitdj
03-02-2012, 10:43 AM
I always bring backup external hard drives and another Laptop . Also a I pad plugged into one of my channels just in case something was to happen . My main unit is the Denon Dn mc6000 which I find very reliable , but I do have another denon unit that I do bring with me , but I do not set it up . If I ever needed to It would only take me 2 mins to do so. For speakers I use QSC K10 which are also very reliable speakers