PDA

View Full Version : Class 3R lasers - what gives?

Ryan Ruel
02-29-2012, 09:04 AM
So I have a Chauvet Scorpion GBC laser. The device uses a 30mW green diode and 40mW blue diode, with their "fat beam" technology to produce larger more visible beams.

The laser is rated 3R, which among other things states "limited beam viewing".

Now, I have the laser mounted at about 10 feet off the floor, but the built in programs still cause the laser to scan down to the floor. And in many of Chauvets own videos, they even show the laser at trade shows shining into the crowd.

The manual for the laser says not to do this, but it seems like it's considered "safe". It scans very fast obviously, is it really a safety concern or is the product manual statements just a legal disclaimer for Chauvet?

Now for a laser like the XLaser 3R classification lasers, I can see not crowd scanning and requiring a variance... those things are BRIGHT. I'd love to have one but wouldn't really want to be liable for something like that.

Mystic
02-29-2012, 09:32 AM
I think they can get away with crowd scanning because the beam is considered safe by the FDA. Those old ADJ Concept scanners I have sitting around somewhere also have a 4.9mW diode built in that when put on sound activation, will turn on and go wherever it pleases on the dance floor, essentially crowd scanning. The same goes for those fireworks style lasers. There is really no way to use one and not hit people because the spread is so wide.

You certainly can't do this with any laser that would require variance.

DJ M&M
02-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Mystic is 100% bang on. The GBC doesn't require a variance because once the beam leaves the fixture its within the FDA's range. Hence why it has to use the fatbeam technology. Otherwise the beams would be like firework lasers lol.

instinct
02-29-2012, 04:37 PM
their "fat beam" technology to produce larger more visible beams.

Fat Beams don't look brighter, in fact they look dimmer. You usually want smaller beams.. That's why lasers look so cool.