PDA

View Full Version : What programs do YOU use to DJ/PRODUCE .... NEW NUMARK controller for producer/dj

happyzday
02-28-2012, 07:48 PM
I just wanted to take a look around at how many people use virtual dj or Torq or Traktor ..... TODAY ... Not last year... As many of these applications have upgraded and include more features... people are switching to new products.... Some people even use LOGIC PRO 9 to add beats/sounds and even create their own bassline to a mainstream song , making it an entirely new genre.

The point is what do you use and what is the purpose?
ex:
1. I use Virtual Dj pro 7.0.4 - because it is very simple , the graphical interface is pleasing, it is affordable.

2. I use Fruity Loops - I do this to create my own beats , and once again it is the cheaper option.

If i had more money I may upgrade to better products... So what do you all use / think is the best?

DJ ATX
02-29-2012, 08:08 AM
I primarily use Virtual DJ. Cause I own 3 different set ups and it is native to all three. VDJ supports nearly 90% of MIDI capable device out there natively. Also VDJ can be used with timecodes. It can use the Serato vinyls and Serato SSL box with it, so its easy if I am playing with other DJs. Serato seems to be the standard for club DJs. I am one of the few that uses VDJ. VDJ is very versatile. Can also do videos without have to buy extra software/plugin.

I have not gotten around to producing, but I have been toying around with the idea of getting Ableton.

de.j.l
02-29-2012, 08:26 AM
CDJS+Ableton.

Ver Jaina
02-29-2012, 08:39 AM
used VDJ for my Mixtrack, Mixmeister for the clean mixes to be put on my mp3 player.
used CDJs/Turntable for the rough sessions.

used only Roland Fantom G6 for beat making.

The Blackest
02-29-2012, 08:47 AM
I play off of CDJs and Vinyl and I produce w/ Ableton.

Funkyfader
02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
vdj+reason 5

Austin GoGreen
02-29-2012, 10:36 AM
OP sounds like he went the cheap route and said f buying when I can download and crack this stuff easily lmao...

My Setup:

FL Studio to produce/remix/edit tracks
49 Key M-Audio USB Keyboard
USB Condenser Mic
Truth Monitors
PC Laptop w/ Windows 7

Numark NS7 w/ Itch
Technics 1200's
Rane TTM57SL w/ SSL
Macbook Pro 4gb ram

thehadgi
02-29-2012, 11:13 AM
I don't really DJ now, I'm producing until that picks up and then I'm going to have to re-learn DJ'ing n such. Use Ableton, but I really want to demo Pro Tools, so when I save up 50 bucks I might try that.

Also, I'm very likely considering building my own computer for my next upgrade, I'm absolutely sick of paying so much money for so little processing power for macs, although they are smooth. In that case I'm going to try Sonar, because mystic is always yappin about it :lol:

djkvg
02-29-2012, 12:19 PM
serato SL1 with technics 1200s. i want to upgrade to the ttm57sl tho :D

no production yet.... but dying to get into it... cannot save enough to get the software :(

Atomisk
02-29-2012, 12:47 PM
CDJs for DJing
Ableton Live & FL Studio (h8rs gonna h8) for all my productions and edits.

mostapha
02-29-2012, 01:16 PM
DJ: SSL with SL1, Technics, and a Vestax. I kinda want to upgrade to a rotary mixer, an SL4 and M5Gs, but none is a priority. If I do a house party again, I'm probably going to buy the cheapest Serato Intro controller in existence. I'm working on integrating Msachine again (which I did when I was on Traktor Pro), but I need to buy some more furniture first because 1200s are a lot bigger than X1s and I don't have anywhere to put it. And I haven't completely given up on Ableton Live (also with Maschine)…it's just not worth the prep work for where I am in my life right now, and there are a lot of things I'd buy before another Live controller.

Production: Maschine with Logic and 3rd party synths (going to buy my first hardware synth soon, with a second to follow as soon as I have the money).

I'm working on being able to use an instance of Maschine in Logic as a drum/sample machine with the synths hosted in Logic and a standalone instance of Maschine acting as a keyboard because I really suck at playing keyboard. It's not ideal, but it works really well in my initial tests. I'd really like to see NI seriously improve Maschine's MIDI Out device in a few specific ways. I'm seriously considering contacting their R&D team about it…or just hoping the MPC Renaissance just does it.

And I'm anxiously awaiting the MPC Renaissance. The software has already spoiled some technical benefits over Maschine (like level meters). But it's probably going to come down to which one can do MIDI Outputs the way I'd like. If it turns out that one of the hardware MPCs or the Octatrack will do what I want, I might seriously consider that instead of my second hardware synth, though because of their limited output options, I might keep Maschine as a drum/sample machine for the studio (though not live).

I'm probably going to switch from Logic to Pro Tools because I like it better, but I'm entertaining other options as well. Reason 6 actually has some awesome features (and the best metering of any DAW). If either Maschine or the MPC R ends up working as a rewire slave, I'd have to give that some serious thought since either would get around most of Reason's limitations…unless I get to the point that I actually need to run PT HD for performance reasons…which I seriously doubt.

Austin GoGreen
02-29-2012, 02:26 PM
DJ: SSL with SL1, Technics, and a Vestax. I kinda want to upgrade to a rotary mixer, an SL4 and M5Gs, but none is a priority. If I do a house party again, I'm probably going to buy the cheapest Serato Intro controller in existence. I'm working on integrating Msachine again (which I did when I was on Traktor Pro), but I need to buy some more furniture first because 1200s are a lot bigger than X1s and I don't have anywhere to put it. And I haven't completely given up on Ableton Live (also with Maschine)…it's just not worth the prep work for where I am in my life right now, and there are a lot of things I'd buy before another Live controller.

Production: Maschine with Logic and 3rd party synths (going to buy my first hardware synth soon, with a second to follow as soon as I have the money).

I'm working on being able to use an instance of Maschine in Logic as a drum/sample machine with the synths hosted in Logic and a standalone instance of Maschine acting as a keyboard because I really suck at playing keyboard. It's not ideal, but it works really well in my initial tests. I'd really like to see NI seriously improve Maschine's MIDI Out device in a few specific ways. I'm seriously considering contacting their R&D team about it…or just hoping the MPC Renaissance just does it.

And I'm anxiously awaiting the MPC Renaissance. The software has already spoiled some technical benefits over Maschine (like level meters). But it's probably going to come down to which one can do MIDI Outputs the way I'd like. If it turns out that one of the hardware MPCs or the Octatrack will do what I want, I might seriously consider that instead of my second hardware synth, though because of their limited output options, I might keep Maschine as a drum/sample machine for the studio (though not live).

I'm probably going to switch from Logic to Pro Tools because I like it better, but I'm entertaining other options as well. Reason 6 actually has some awesome features (and the best metering of any DAW). If either Maschine or the MPC R ends up working as a rewire slave, I'd have to give that some serious thought since either would get around most of Reason's limitations…unless I get to the point that I actually need to run PT HD for performance reasons…which I seriously doubt.

Hey bud, this is AGizzle from the 1.0 boards... I bought that Behringer B1800D-Pro powered sub we discussed awhile back. I have nothing but great reviews on it. Only problem is that I have only used it like 6 times in the last year. Anyways, if you're interested I'd like to sell it. I can ship it anywhere for about $90. Make me an offer if you're interested.

Jason Cerna
02-29-2012, 02:36 PM
DJ - Traktor Pro 2

Produce - Ableton Live 8

mr_ragz
02-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Going on the cdj's and ableton

KLH
02-29-2012, 05:38 PM
DJ: Traktor Pro with S4

Production (Back in the day): Logic (MacOS), Cubase (Windows), Reason, WAVLab

-KLH

DJNR
02-29-2012, 05:41 PM
DJ - Traktor Scratch Pro. I alternate between my Technics and my S4.

Production - Ableton Live 8, although I don't really do that much in the way of producing.

uncut69
02-29-2012, 06:56 PM
dj - go between traktor 2 and vdj7 on my dnmc6000

production - ableton all day

Phil Noize
03-01-2012, 03:54 AM
DJ - Traktor Pro 2

Produce - Ableton Live 8

^^^ This.

B3NNY
03-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Usually Traktor Scratch Pro , Pro Tools 10 for edits/producing

fat8ack
03-02-2012, 09:09 AM
DJ-- NS6 w/ serato itch

Failing Production-- Ableton Live w/ M-Audio Axiom 25 and Akai APC20

I am also messing around with mapping for TP2 using the Axiom 25 and APC20

thehadgi
03-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Failing Production-- Ableton Live w/ M-Audio Axiom 25 and Akai APC20

aw keep at it mane :tup:

jazzyj
03-02-2012, 09:54 AM
DJ - Traktor Pro 2.x

fat8ack
03-02-2012, 10:24 AM
aw keep at it mane :tup:

Thanks man and I am just spend a lot more time spinning here for the past 5 months or so.......

some day I wanna be just like dead mow 5.....haha

LeFresh
03-04-2012, 09:24 PM
OP sounds like he went the cheap route and said f buying when I can download and crack this stuff easily lmao...

I was thinking the same thing.

DJ: Serato
Production: Ableton

Dj EMdUb
03-14-2012, 05:41 AM
Hey bud, this is AGizzle from the 1.0 boards... I bought that Behringer B1800D-Pro powered sub we discussed awhile back. I have nothing but great reviews on it. Only problem is that I have only used it like 6 times in the last year. Anyways, if you're interested I'd like to sell it. I can ship it anywhere for about $90. Make me an offer if you're interested.

Just out curiosity, how much are you looking to get for the sub?considering you still have it..
Sorry!I didn't mean to steal your thread.

Dj:Numark NS6 w/serato itch(planning on trying the traktor mapping)
2nd/smaller setup: Hercules 4-MX mapped to traktor.

Production: not at that level yet

Divercity
03-14-2012, 06:07 AM
DJ: Either Technic's 1210's or Jazzmutant Lemur and launchpad with Ableton.

Production Software: Ableton, Sonar, Reason, Reaktor and Max MSP every now and then.

spooksmagee
03-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Torq 2.0 with my M-Audio Xponent. Seems like the underutilized software around these parts though. ;)