PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with Equipment?

mann1n
02-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Any equipment thats recommended for beginning? Honestly don't know where to start, go out and buy big? Or start small and work up?

Bedroom dj with laptop, headphones and software atm but wanting to move on. Ideas? :freak:

Molbster
02-28-2012, 07:07 PM
1. What's your budget?
2. What's your end goal? (stay in the bedroom, small private gigs, be the next Guetta??)

Maybe get a controller since you already have some software??

mann1n
02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Goal is to be playing private gigs by say Xmas time? I know a time cant be put on learning but yeah, small private gigs is my aim atm. And yeah a controller, Ive been looking at packages on the DJ Shop...

Am i looking in the right places? http://www.thedjshop.co.uk/packages/digital-dj-packages/numark-mixtrack-pro-and-npm5-monitor-package.html

Molbster
02-29-2012, 11:39 AM
private gigs will most likely require you to bring your own gear. if you show up with a small controller, it might not project the "image" your client wanted. Look into getting some tables (CD or Vinyl, your choice), a mixer, and some powered speakers. You don't need to get the latest and greatest to learn the basic skills. If you learn on crappier gear, you learn adaptivity, and are more versatile if you run into trouble with your gigs.

I recommend some CDJ 400s (cdj) or Technic 1200 Mk2 (vinyl) for tables and maybe a Pioneer DJM-400 mixer. You can usually find those for relatively cheap.

ampnation
02-29-2012, 01:42 PM
If the above recommendation is too pricey for you, look at the Numark NS7. It is big enough and substantial looking enough that nobody but other DJ's will know it from stuff costing 5x the price and it has a pretty good rep. I hear people love the feel of the platters for the price point. It comes with software and you may or may not want to use it vs. what you already have.

As far as speakers go, I don't know what is available on Isle of Man, but in the U.S. the favorite entry level PA is the B52 Matrix 1000 v2 which can be had for about $800 new or $500 used USD. Whatever you do, make sure you have a subwoofer and you've checked reputation for reliability for all your gear, on forums, not using dealer website's customer feedback. What will give you the best bang for buck there will differ from here most likely. When it comes to speakers and controllers, there are products that are very good and others that look almost like them that are garbage. You MUST check them out before buying if you don't want to end up with the garbage. And price isn't always a sure indicator.

fueledbymusic
02-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Chech out this thread. This could help:http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?2655-Essential-DJ-Equipment-when-starting-out

and http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?521-Lets-rebuild-The-Guide-to-Getting-Out-There

Lost Connection
02-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Native Instruments S4 ;) Just saying.

And a controller is good if you want to go the mobile DJ way.

ampnation
02-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Native Instruments S4 ;) Just saying.

And a controller is good if you want to go the mobile DJ way.

Can't argue with that one either, or the S2 for that matter. I like that they come with a full version, although not sure what software OP has.

Defiance
02-29-2012, 04:11 PM
I pick the Numark NS6 over the NS7 for a few reasons. But if your not looking to spend that much. Check out the new Numark N4 and if thats to expensive the Mixtrack Pro is a great starting point.

Chay
02-29-2012, 07:40 PM
DJ controllers are the simplist way to get into DJing nowadays, all-in-one units that you just connect to your computer ;)

mostapha
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Agreed. I wouldn't use them as my only setup, but I'm just obsessed with Technics. That doesn't mean my opinion is right for everyone.

The NS6 does feel pretty good for an all-in-one, and the S2 and S4 are pretty decent, though I have some issues with Traktor and I don't like their platters. Even the little stanton all-in-one thing feels okay…ish, but they seem to have spent all of their money making the platters feel okay (and kinda heavy) and ignored everything else…the thing might weigh less than my MBP. Don't know how well it performs though, only touched it in GC.

mann1n
03-01-2012, 05:32 PM
So go for the complete package? It seems to be the sensible option, sounds like it is worth the investment? Any recommended one? I mean, last thing I want to be doin is buying anything and bein mind blown by it, Im getting a set soon leant to me so Ill let you know what type it is when I go too play with it.

DJAkash
03-01-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm looking to sell my Numark Mixdeck, it has great amount of inputs(CD,USB,Laptop,Aux,Ipod/phone) and does the job well. I'm trying to sell it on amazon but if you want it I can drop the price a good amount, Private Message if you would like.

mann1n
03-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Looking at Numark Mixdeck, £159, available to order from amazon, I was readin an article before sayin that it was up there as one of the best under £250 controllers? What are thoughts on them? Seems like there quite popular watching videos on you tube etc, anyone got one?