PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting Baller95 vs DJ Climaxxx vs LeFresh - 10 min Top 40 battle

JonAvalon
06-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Mix 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/baller95-vs-djclimaxxx-vs-lefresh-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/baller95-vs-djclimaxxx-vs-lefresh-2.mp3)

Mix 3 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/baller95-vs-djclimaxxx-vs-lefresh-3.mp3)

Rules:
- No Studio Mixing (Must Be Done On Actual Equipment DVS/MIDI Controlelr With A DJ Software Is Ok)
- FX/Samples Are Fine
- Top40/Remixes Only
- Last Mix In By 10min Mark

Defiance
06-07-2013, 11:52 AM
1:Solid Mixing, didn't seem top40ish, unique style. Last transition sounded like it *could've* been a transition track. But it was mixed well regardless.

2:Hard Off-Phase Cut at first, most of the cuts done very well. Few great transitions towards the end. Reminded me of traktor-user type mixes.

3:Levels not done well. FLANGER (VDJ?). Clashes. This is an someone in their beginning DJ career. I like some of the ideas they had but weren't done properly yet.

I just wrote these notes as I listened. Not sure who I'd vote for yet. Something 'sounds' fishy in the first one. There was no 'human' element to it, which bothers me in DJing. Mix 2 was certainly human, but nothing stood out and Mixer 3 needs to keep practicing and hopefully someone can help mentor you a bit more on the basics.

BOWNSIR
06-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Mix 1- Nice mix here. Track selection is good, has a good flow, would be fit for a top 40 crowd that is open to hearing a different variety. Sounded like the traditional A >> B mix which had good phrasing and in/out volume control. Nothing really bad to say (besides possible sync) about the mix and overall pretty good.

Mix 2- Again, can’t complain about track selection here. Perfect for a top 40 crowd. Heard a few slammed transitions for the first few songs. They didn’t sound bad as they were on beat, then again, I’m not sure why these couldn’t be mixed since they had similar tempos. From the J Lo track through the rest of the mix, everything sounded seamless. I don’t follow transition type of remixes, but it sounds like they were used here. From a standpoint as a listener this sounded really good.

Mix 3- Parts of the beginning sounded off key. The beat mixing was there, but there was a rough spot that was clashing together; specifically 2:31-2:24. At 4:05 the bass cut from the previous track and didn’t sound right to me. Sorry to say, but the tracks sounded like ish. Not sure if you encoded your mix to a lower bitrate, but it wasn’t pleasing to my ears at all. Sorry brah.

While sync wasn’t listed as a rule, I’m pretty sure it was utilized in the first mix. -1 there as I don’t support it and in my opinion has no place in a comp/battle. If not, I apologize. In all three mixes the song selection, while top 40, seemed to be an edit/remake for almost every song. I could probably count 3 songs that weren’t an edit and even then, 3 would probably still be a high number. It’s crazy how the original song just won’t cut it now-a-days, but I guess that’s how the ball rolls. Overall, a good battle with similar mixing styles. Mix 1 and 2 might have an edge on skill level. Mix 3 can mix, but needs work on the technical side (i.e. levels.) With enough work you'll get there, man. Nice one fellas.

Mix 1 gets my initial vote to the poll, but if sync was used, Mix 2 gets my vote.

Baller95
06-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Gave these a listen, they sound good! Good luck guys :tup:

Hightopfade
06-08-2013, 01:08 AM
Tough to choose between mix 1 and 2. Song selection on mix 1 won my vote.

Dharry
06-08-2013, 04:26 AM
Mix 1-good start with energy..love the daft punk track but not quite flowing on from the first one. The tempo comes down as the mix continues.
On the whole, technically good with tidy transitions but the energy and feel of the mix wasn't maintained throughout and tracks didn't really flow well in my opinion and not typically top 40.

Mix 2-good intro with energy, clean transitions with some especially good ones as the mix continues, energy builds up quickly and is maintained throughout the mix. The choice of songs are consistently top 40 and flowed well into each other with similar tempos and style. A technically very good mix.

Mix 3-good start but sounds 'off point' at 0.33, 'busy' transition at 1.15. I liked the way the energy picks up and is maintained throughout the mix, i can see what you were aiming to achieve. At one point the vocals are lost in a track . Transitions need to be worked on as need to be neater. Good effort but more practice is def needed.

I voted for mix 2 because it was technically good with great energy. Well thought out track selection that flowed well and truly represented top 40.

Well done and good luck to all:)

Baller95
06-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Thanks for listening and the comments everyone! I'll rep who ever I can :tup:

Edit: Need to spread rep for Dharry and Defiance, I'll rep you two when I can! :)

DJ Climaxxx
06-08-2013, 08:07 AM
wow hard batle good luck for all an me =D

Tektonix
06-08-2013, 12:32 PM
:O God daamn son! Good battle guys, Bummed i couldn't get a mix in (loafting/broken gear) but good battle put on by you lot.

Im going to go with mix 2, It was more top 40ish than mix 1 (however i like the mixing in mix 1 better) but the track selection and good mixing in the 2nd kinda won me over. Mix 3...I dunno dafuq happened sir...

Dirtdog
06-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Had to listen since I seen Ballers name on it.

Baller95
06-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Had to listen since I seen Ballers name on it.

Is that good or bad?

Dirtdog
06-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Is "Dick Music" a new genre?

Baller95
06-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks for commenting btw Tek! Too bad you couldn't get in on this. What's the status on your controller?

Baller95
06-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Is "Dick Music" a new genre?

What are you on about?

Dirtdog
06-08-2013, 12:50 PM
What are you on about?

I'm sorry I don't understand

Dirtdog
06-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Is that good or bad?

Lol. It's good. I really enjoy your posts.

Baller95
06-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Good!

LeFresh
06-08-2013, 05:06 PM
You know when you record a mix and think its the dopest shit ever, then you listen to it after and am all like :freak:
yep that's my mix.

I'm diggin the detailed feedback though so keep the votes coming.
+Reppn everyone

Tektonix
06-10-2013, 07:05 AM
Thanks for commenting btw Tek! Too bad you couldn't get in on this. What's the status on your controller?

Kinda just learnt to not use jogwheels and pitch bend using buttons mapped on my launchpad portion of the setup for the time being. Hopefully going to get it fixed, just gotta find the time to wander around downtown and ask around in the shops about repairs

Mrspyaman
06-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Mix 1 & 2 were both technically sound but I preferred mix 2 playlist a little better.
Mix 3 had a few clashes and level issues and would have got my vote if the idea had been executed cleaner.

Baller95
06-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback man +rep

Edit: I got you your 6th rep star! :D

Coldhatez
06-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Going with mix 1, had a good laugh at the dickdickdickdick
Also good mixing + song choices

LeFresh
06-14-2013, 05:06 PM
:djchris:

Baller95
06-14-2013, 05:14 PM
:djchris:

lol!!

Adzy
06-16-2013, 09:12 AM
nice mixes guys, posted my vote :) it was a tough choice between 1 & 2.

BOWNSIR
06-18-2013, 11:10 AM
So who won this one? And was sync used for mix 1? Just curious to know :)

LeFresh
06-18-2013, 03:20 PM
I was mix #1
Mix #2, Congrats on the win, solid mix
Mix #3, Keep practicing and you'll get better!

1:Solid Mixing, didn't seem top40ish, unique style. Last transition sounded like it *could've* been a transition track. But it was mixed well regardless.
Something 'sounds' fishy in the first one. There was no 'human' element to it, which bothers me in DJing.
I spun top 40 remixes; Top 40 doesn't have to be bubble gum pop music, gangster rap can be top 40.
Is my mix non human because you think its flawless or something??
My mix was sloppy, I'm disappointed with my performance... But...That last transition was not a transition-track..Jus smooth mixing! :P

Mix 1- Nice mix here. Nothing really bad to say (besides possible sync) about the mix and overall pretty good.
While sync wasn’t listed as a rule, I’m pretty sure it was utilized in the first mix. -1 there as I don’t support it and in my opinion has no place in a comp/battle. If not, I apologize.

Mix 1 gets my initial vote to the poll, but if sync was used, Mix 2 gets my vote.

So who won this one? And was sync used for mix 1? Just curious to know :)

1200s + SSL = No sync here // peep my videos
Respect to the peeps that thought my mixing was alright!

Baller95
06-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Oh I didn't see this till now! I was mix 2. Thanks and good job with your mix though LeFresh and for you Climaxxx, keep practicing, you'll get there! @ BOWNSIR, there were no transition tracks used in this mix.

Thanks to everyone that commented and voted! :tup:

BOWNSIR
06-19-2013, 01:52 AM
@ LeFresh nice one :tup:..."You must spread rep..." @ Baller95 legit win, man +rep.