PDA

View Full Version : Ever done a "Memorial" gig?

Dix
06-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I am doing my first one ever on Fathers Day, Sunday, June 16.

I had a lady frantically call me Sunday & ask me if I was available for June 16. I asked her to tell me a little about what she had going on.
Her husband passed away about three weeks ago

http://www.griffinfuneralhome.net/book-of-memories/1585335/Fulton-Dellon/obituary.php

his wish was to be cremated so, obviously they did. He was a member of the Shriners so she wanted to have a memorial service for him at the local Shriner Temple. She was frantic because the funeral home that she used, didn't have a portable or mobile sound system to play their music with at the Shriner Temple. The temple had a sound system but no music. Therefore, she was in a race to find someone who had both, that was available.... that had a library of gospel music. Fortunately, I had a little over 100 gospel songs in my library.

I plan to buy another 10 albums of various artist gospel albums for another 100 - 150 songs once I get all the special music list from her by the end of this week.

We met & went over the contract & discussed all her wishes. I'll just have a basic set up, play some background music from 1 - 2 for visitation, play two or three songs during the memorial service & then a few songs after the service as people are leaving the facility until about 3:30 or so. She said the Shriner rites will take about an hour. I have been to a few services for Shriners & I don't remember them being quite that long.... maybe 30 minutes?
But anyway, she said the service would last about an hour to one & a half hours.

For me, its no announcements or anything. Just background music & 2 or 3 songs during the service.

Anyway, its my first one. Any of you guys ever done one & have any advise or tips?

PinnacleStu
06-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Wow. Nope, not me. That's a first. I hope it goes really well for you - just try not to listen too much and get caught up in the whole mood - which can be tough.

DJMC
06-07-2013, 10:33 AM
I've done one.......very easy money!

Dix
06-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks buddy :)

WillieB69
06-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Never done one myself, but I don't think I'd turn down the offer either. Being in the Freemasons myself, I'd have a hard time charging for that though.

RodneyL
06-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Yikes... I'm a sympathetic crier. I would be bawling my eyes out probably. Not a fan of funerals.

Drewbdo
06-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Not sure why, but I just had a flashback of "Weekend at Bernie's" :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXhfv4UYv2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTgcZ6ImsQ

Other than serving at the National Cemetery with my military unit for Memorial Day events, I have never gotten a call to work a memorial event.

Anyway, glad you are able to meet this family's need. :)

jamesmington
06-11-2013, 02:16 AM
sounds like a super easy gig. must get the bernie track :lol:

allensmusic
06-11-2013, 02:20 AM
I have done several. they are about like cocktail hour at a wedding.

Dix
06-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Not a good pic for many reasons. So crazy light in there & taken with my iPhone, but....
Here is a pic of our setup for the Memorial. It went well & got several compliments on the music from guests as well as the widow.
Also, for you guys who read my "paint my speaker grills" thread. as you can see the gloss black didn't glare & is not far from factory. It does have a bit of a gloss but very little. It turned out well.
Thanks to all who took time to post their thoughts in this thread.
On another note, the client asked for our maroon & black table cloth's as you see them because its the Shriner colors.

Drewbdo
06-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Well done Dixie. I'm glad the event went well, and glad the family was happy.